Iams Healthy Naturals?

terryseal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wondering if anyone has experience using this dry food. I believe its somewhat new and Iams has an online coupon for $5 off. Ingredients-wise, it seems ok, with chicken being the first ingredient (although it does have some by-product meal, corn and brewer's rice, but no gluten of any kind.)

Seems like a cut above the lowest end supermarket food, but under the super-premium specialty food.

Thanks,

-Terry

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would agree. Its better with whole ingredients, but still not as good as you could get. Whats the price comparison, do you know?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TerrySeal

Just wondering if anyone has experience using this dry food. I believe its somewhat new and Iams has an online coupon for $5 off. Ingredients-wise, it seems ok, with chicken being the first ingredient (although it does have some by-product meal, corn and brewer's rice, but no gluten of any kind.)

Seems like a cut above the lowest end supermarket food, but under the super-premium specialty food.

Thanks,

-Terry
The ingrediants on the bag are what went in raw ... that "chicken" is 66% water and thus the REAL ingrediants are by product meal( I NEVER get ANYTHING with this in it , corn( the LEAST digestable grain, brewers rice( the POOREST QUALITY of rice ... ie it is a Fragment NOT a whole anything and possiblely has already been cooked via the BEER making process... then two more ingrediants and chicken....

If you think this is a okay food IMHO save money and buy grocery some Purina products at grocery level have no by products of meat orgin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terryseal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

The ingrediants on the bag are what went in raw ... that "chicken" is 66% water and thus the REAL ingrediants are by product meal( I NEVER get ANYTHING with this in it , corn( the LEAST digestable grain, brewers rice( the POOREST QUALITY of rice ... ie it is a Fragment NOT a whole anything and possiblely has already been cooked via the BEER making process... then two more ingrediants and chicken....

If you think this is a okay food IMHO save money and buy grocery some Purina products at grocery level have no by products of meat orgin
Well, looking at Purina's website, all their products seem to have either by-products and/or glutens. (All have gluten, Proplan "selects" doesn't have by-products.) Are you saying that they are essentially equal to this particular Iams product? (As in... equally bad?)

-Terry

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well, looking at Purina's website, all their products seem to have either by-products and/or glutens. (All have gluten, Proplan "selects" doesn't have by-products.) Are you saying that they are essentially equal to this particular Iams product? (As in... equally bad?)

-Terry
= but I am not a gluten issue haver ... see corn 30-50% digestable ... corn gluten 66-76% digestable ... ie the gluten get used better by the body... CATS and WHOLE grains IMHO bad mix

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By products are much more nutritious than glutens. Example, just learned this, Poor quality by products with heads and feet have 7.5 times the arginine that corn does on a dry matter basis. Even corn gluten at 60% protein has half the amount of what by product meal has. Same for other grains.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

By products are much more nutritious than glutens. Example, just learned this, Poor quality by products with heads and feet have 7.5 times the arginine that corn does on a dry matter basis. Even corn gluten at 60% protein has half the amount of what by product meal has. Same for other grains.
they may have but by products that are organs have little BIO AVAILABILITY .. ie what they have cant be used in the body
.... what scale are you useing 60 +60 =120 in my book thus NO meat has 120 % protein
... the top meat has 90% digestabilty and on ave about 75% protein

terryseal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

So, you would take any meat by-product over any kind of gluten, given the choice?

-Terry

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So, you would take any meat by-product over any kind of gluten, given the choice?

-Terry
Yes I would!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer neither. I definitely do not feed anything with by-products though. With such generic labeling, it could be anything.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is kinda OT but it makes me laugh how in the Purina and Iams commercials they have Bengals and an Egyptian Mau, and you know any breeder/owner of a Bengal is not feeding their cat Iams! [Unless they're stupid and like wicked disgusting diarrhea and digestive issues.]

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

This is kinda OT but it makes me laugh how in the Purina and Iams commercials they have Bengals and an Egyptian Mau, and you know any breeder/owner of a Bengal is not feeding their cat Iams! [Unless they're stupid and like wicked disgusting diarrhea and digestive issues.]
Many many breeders feed Iams/Euakanuba.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

when i'm in a bind, & must stoop to supermarket food, i almost always end up w/purina one kitten formula [after reading all the labels]. however, Kroger is carrying a new food [has Simba & Nala on the package, called Disney food?] that has the best ingredient list i've ever seen on a supermarket food. the kibble is rather large, about the size of a kidney bean.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many many breeders feed Iams/Euakanuba.
Several Bengal breeders that I have met[when looking at the breed] feed RAW or at least quality dry/canned. Especially with the F1, F2, F3's. Iams and even Eukanuba compared to Cal. Natural, Innova, Wellness etc. There's no comparison in quality IMO.

I know for a fact actually a lot of Poodle breeders in my area feed strictly Eukanuba because it gives the dogs a nice coat... but ingredient wise it's not what I look for. But that's just me.

terryseal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

I would agree. Its better with whole ingredients, but still not as good as you could get. Whats the price comparison, do you know?
Looking at online prices, seems like a 3.5lb bag of the Iams Healthy Naturals is around $8.50.

-Terry

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nutritionally by-products can be the best or worst ingredient in the food. Its all about trusting the company, or calling them up and asking them.

As for corn being so indigestible, where did you hear that? My sources say otherwise! I still think grains/carbohydrates should be a minimal portion of feline foods, but the reason grains should be avoided is NOT due to digestibility!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

Nutritionally by-products can be the best or worst ingredient in the food. Its all about trusting the company, or calling them up and asking them.

As for corn being so indigestible, where did you hear that? My sources say otherwise! I still think grains/carbohydrates should be a minimal portion of feline foods, but the reason grains should be avoided is NOT due to digestibility!
digestability is one of the reasons as it = s hey this is not a natural diet
... yeah grains should be but cept for grain frees the grain either =s or exceeds the meats in most foods ..

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

digestability is one of the reasons as it = s hey this is not a natural diet
... yeah grains should be but cept for grain frees the grain either =s or exceeds the meats in most foods ..
But grain free diets just contain a different type of carbohydrate anyway... thats the nature of dry foods!

pinklady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is very OT, but what is the breed (or hybrid) of cat featured in their commericals (Iams Healthy Naturals)? I'm completely smitten with it.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cats will not eat it. they loved the old iams but hated this stuff. i have a big storage container full of it so if anyone lives in SE OK and wants it, gimme a holler! when i mixed it in with their old food, they ate the old food and left the iams. it was pretty funny cuz i didnt "mix it-mix it" so it was divided straight down the middle; half the bowl was empty, the other half iams