What to do for a fever??

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH is sick. This morning, I was lying against him, and his entire body was burning up. It feels like he's been lying in the sun for hours. His ear temperature is 101.9, and during the night he had chills and felt like his heart was racing.

I've been sick the last few days, and he started feeling a bit rundown last night, but I didn't have a fever at all.

Do we need to see a doctor if he has a fever? Does he just rest and drink lots of water? I have no idea what to do for an adult fever.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say he should go to the Dr's. A fever says there is an infection being fought inside the body so he might need antibiotics. I pray he feels better soon! Hope you are doing better.
BTW, yes he should rest and drink plenty of fluids.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest and lots of water. Personally, I wouldn't go to the doc for a fever of that temp, but it would depend on what, if any, other symptoms he has. I would just take aspirin or tylenol, and drink LOTS of fluids.

Fever is actually a useful function of the body
You just don't want it to get too high.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Rest and lots of water. Personally, I wouldn't go to the doc for a fever of that temp, but it would depend on what, if any, other symptoms he has. I would just take aspirin or tylenol, and drink LOTS of fluids.

Fever is actually a useful function of the body
You just don't want it to get too high.

Exactly. A fever is actually a GOOD thing because it shows that your immune system is doing its job. It does NOT automatically indicate a need for antibiotics, because if the infection isn't bacterial, then antibiotics will only provide a psychological benefit and no real healing benefit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys. I did some more googling and finally found information for fevers in adults (it's mostly aimed at fevers in children). It says in adults, to see a doctor once a fever gets over 103, so I'll just monitor it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just realised why I worried so much to begin with. He's not complaining. Whenever DH is sick, he whinges and complains and moans about how sick he is. At the moment, he's just listless and in bed, not complaining at all. So not like him.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely paracetamol, plenty of rest and lots of fluids - orange juice and water are the favourites
Sometimes it can help to have a damp cloth on your forehead too - just to feel like you're cooling off a bit.
Tell him to get well soon

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Exactly. A fever is actually a GOOD thing because it shows that your immune system is doing its job. It does NOT automatically indicate a need for antibiotics, because if the infection isn't bacterial, then antibiotics will only provide a psychological benefit and no real healing benefit.
I agree. Maybe DH is not complaining because he is just resting.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I agree. Maybe DH is not complaining because he is just resting.
That doesn't stop him normally
You know what men are like when they're sick....

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

DH is sick. This morning, I was lying against him, and his entire body was burning up. It feels like he's been lying in the sun for hours. His ear temperature is 101.9, and during the night he had chills and felt like his heart was racing.

I've been sick the last few days, and he started feeling a bit rundown last night, but I didn't have a fever at all.

Do we need to see a doctor if he has a fever? Does he just rest and drink lots of water? I have no idea what to do for an adult fever.
Originally Posted by GingersMom

That doesn't stop him normally
You know what men are like when they're sick....
They're JUST like babies! They whine, cry and throw fits when they don't get thier way

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he might have the flu. Sometimes things like that, just have to run their course, and it will get better. I've always heard aspirins or Tylenol are good for fevers. The best thing would be to make him break into a sweat, because that usually means the fever is breaking. However a fever of 101 isn't that big, yet.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

It sounds like he might have the flu. Sometimes things like that, just have to run their course, and it will get better. I've always heard aspirins or Tylenol are good for fevers. The best thing would be to make him break into a sweat, because that usually means the fever is breaking. However a fever of 101 isn't that big, yet.
keep an eye on that fever and keep him hydrated. Not much you can do otherwise...my mom's recipe was always tylenol and orange juice. Here's some get well

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I have read the CDC guessed wrong on the flu shot vaccine this year. The flu is coming here in Wisconsin much later than normal and isn't expected to peak for a couple of weeks. Did he get a flu shot????

Just keep him as comfy as possible, besides water, juice buy some popsicles.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been keeping him dosed up with OJ and water, and just got a sandwich into him. His temperature is up a bit more to 102.3 now. I just go near him, and can feel the heat radiating off his skin. Poor thing.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

If you can get him to sweat the fever will break.
How?!?! I was sweating just being in the bedroom. It's warm up there, and he's in track pants, and under the blankets...

We're going to the doctor in a bit over an hour because he's either got, or developing, a chest infection.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How?!?! I was sweating just being in the bedroom. It's warm up there, and he's in track pants, and under the blankets...

We're going to the doctor in a bit over an hour because he's either got, or developing, a chest infection.
How about a shot of whiskey in tea and put him under tons of blankets. His fever should peak then.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother was a nurse, and one thing my mother did for us, as children, was if we had a really high fever, that wouldn't break, she would give us luke warm water bath's which usually cool the body down. I remember going through those a few times, and when you have a high fever, it feels like you have been placed in ice water, but it really works as far as making the temperature go down.