Tornados down here.....

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate weather like this. I just called my mom to see what she is up to because its nothing but a bit a rain at my house. Well she informed me that there are tornadoes either down or spotted in my area. And sure enough I get online and there is one down about 30 mins away from me moving east at 40 mph. Also another one was spotted about 20 mins sounth of my mom. And one spotted about 30 mins north of my dad in Fla. I am in the clear from what the map says. I will still be under a watch for the next 45 mins but thats it. Everyone south and/or East of us is another story. Oh and I forgot just NE of us is also under tornado warning. But its moving east so I am good. At least for now I suppose.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you somewhere to go where one to touch down close?
That's certainly frightening and I will not live in another home without some sort of shelter. Luckily it seems here that getting a small cellar put in is relatively cheap. If you don't have one and that's an option for you (own the land you live on), I suggest you look into it.

that nothing touches down/forms near you and that no one is harmed from those storms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a trailer, on top of a hill, in BFE. Most I have is a ditch full of water, a bath tub and a school 10-15 mins away. So I guess the answer is yes and no. But from the looks of the radar things have calmed down and other than some patches of rain I should be fine.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, very bad set up to be living in. I lived in a trailer till age 9 - I remember how nervous storms would make me, especially if there were tornado warnings. In fact I still have dreams that I'm trying to get everything together and out of a trailer before a tornado hits - had one of those dreams about a week ago, rather unsettling.
Glad to read that things seemed to have calmed. Any plans to work out a future escape plan or move to somewhere else eventually (or at least just hoping to one day)?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Wow, very bad set up to be living in. I lived in a trailer till age 9 - I remember how nervous storms would make me, especially if there were tornado warnings. In fact I still have dreams that I'm trying to get everything together and out of a trailer before a tornado hits - had one of those dreams about a week ago, rather unsettling.
Glad to read that things seemed to have calmed. Any plans to work out a future escape plan or move to somewhere else eventually (or at least just hoping to one day)?
I never lived in a trailer, but I have seen what damage tornadoes do to them on the news. I agree about the evacuation plans.
Here we get earthquakes. No warnings. Sometimes there is no way you can escape the earthquakes.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^There's danger everywhere. Nature follows it's own rules and we just have to hang in there for the ride.
That said, I'll take chance of tornadoes over earthquakes.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

At least you don't have hurricane's AND tornadoes
No we get those to. In '04 when Fla had a rash of hurricanes several of them hit here (tho not as bad). Our last trailer the under frame was twisted because of the storm.

Yes we want to move at least from this location. Hopefully within the next twelve months regardless to if his store promotes him.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Yes we want to move at least from this location. Hopefully within the next twelve months regardless to if his store promotes him.
Good luck with that!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew just a few miles from the National Weather Service Severe Storms Labs. Home of the Storm Chasers. The upside is that the latest and greatest radar gets tested in the OKC area - making it the safest place to be.
People in this area climb up on their roof to film the passing storm. And it is worse with the new radar able to pinpoint the city blocks involved.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

People in this area climb up on their roof to film the passing storm. And it is worse with the new radar able to pinpoint the city blocks involved.
That's how you know you're in Oklahoma!
Though it's not likely the tornado or debris that will get them, but the normal storm winds that will blow them right off their roof (and maybe the roof with them).

Personally, the last close call we had out here, I used that time to round up stuff (change of clothes, DH's meds, and cat food) and Sho. Nothing came of it but I wasn't wasting time outside.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are about to get hit with another system. The first from what I could tell was coming out of the west northwest heading east. This next batch is coming from the southwest (from the gulf) heading northeast. I have not heard conformation that one touched down here. Just that they sounded the alarms. Tho 2 touched down around Tallahassee (surprised I spelled that right first time around) this morning. From what I heard there was only minor injuries and moderate damages to homes.