Very dizzy

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what's wong with me today I am getting a lot of dizzy spells. I mean whenever I stand up i'm feeling like i'm going to fall over.
I woke up with a bit of a cold this morning and thought that might be a contributeing factor but I have never felt this dizzy with just a cold.... any ideas?

Right now i'm feeling dizzy just sitting at my desk.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww.. I hope you are okay -- I also sometimes get dizzy when coming down with a cold.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Low iron? Anemia?

Middle ear?

My sister-in-law had dizziness, but also extreme nausea, and it turned out to be a middle-ear infection.

The cold symptoms may be a clue to what's causing this.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dizzy or light headed? They are 2 different things.

Dizzy = room feels like it's spinning around. That same sensation as you get if you turn around and around in a circle really fast and then stop.

Light headed = greying of vision, ringing in ears, dulling of hearing and a feeling like you are going to pass out. This is the feeling we sometimes get when we go from sitting to standing too fast.

If you are light headed, it could be that you are dehydrated. Dehydration leads to lower blood volume which can cause you to feel light headed like you are going to pass out. Eat something really salty like a bag of potato chips and drink water. You should be having 8 to 10 - 8 ounce glasses of water every day whether you feel thirsty or not. And if you are doing physical labour and sweating lots you need to increase that amount.

If you are feeling "Dizzy" where the room is spinning, it could be an inner ear infection. Those affect our balance and cause our body to experience that "dizziness" equivalent to having spun ourselves around in circles.

If you are experiencing either of these, DO NOT drive!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always get really dizzy and/or lightheaded right before that time of the month. Could that be what's causing it?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Light headed = greying of vision, ringing in ears, dulling of hearing and a feeling like you are going to pass out. This is the feeling we sometimes get when we go from sitting to standing too fast.
Actually that's not "light headed" that's referred to as pre-syncope and can have many causes other then dehydration. I experience it due to a combination of blood pooling in extremities, low blood pressure, low blood volume, and a faulty ANS. Neurological and heart problems can cause it as well. Migraines can start out with similar symptoms in some people.
Dehydration isn't the soul cause of low blood volume either. Some individuals kidneys don't work how they should. Thick blood - certain genetic clotting problems, and blood loss are the other obvious causes.

Since this is a sudden occurrence it could be from a cold. If it keeps up get it checked out with a doctor.
And I agree, don't drive. Certainly since this is new and you do not know what the "normal" progress of it is - if it truly is pre-syncope you could go on to experience full loss of consciousness, being a huge danger to yourself and others.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree if it's dizziness it could be inner ear; I had that last year and you feel really nauseous along with it. I hope whatever it is you're feeling better

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

I agree if it's dizziness it could be inner ear; I had that last year and you feel really nauseous along with it. I hope whatever it is you're feeling better
I had the inner ear thing. Its worse if you move around alot too...It is a weird feeling. I hope you get rid of it soon

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dizzy or light headed? They are 2 different things.

Dizzy = room feels like it's spinning around. That same sensation as you get if you turn around and around in a circle really fast and then stop.

If you are light headed, it could be that you are dehydrated. Dehydration leads to lower blood volume which can cause you to feel light headed like you are going to pass out. Eat something really salty like a bag of potato chips and drink water. You should be having 8 to 10 - 8 ounce glasses of water every day whether you feel thirsty or not. And if you are doing physical labour and sweating lots you need to increase that amount.

If you are feeling "Dizzy" where the room is spinning, it could be an inner ear infection. Those affect our balance and cause our body to experience that "dizziness" equivalent to having spun ourselves around in circles.

If you are experiencing either of these, DO NOT drive!
I second that advice-- the dizzy stuff - like the floor is heaving up and down - happens to me sometimes when I get a viral infection in my middle ear....

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got dizzy, or light-headed, the other day when I was in dance class. I had taken my decongestant that morning because things are pollenating around here. I wasn't dizzy because I was turning (you can stop that by holding your hands in front of your face
. Another dancer in the class said that she was dizzy and went to the doctor. He said that the cold medicines she was taking can dehydrate you and make you dizzy. If you are dancing, you really need more water.
BTW, my friend was in "Mame" on Broadway.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had it bad last year and it turned out to be my Allergies. It happened in 2006 too and I had a Ekg but it was ok. This last time I got Clarion D and he helped very fast. I was Dizzy for 2 weeks before I wet to the Dr. I hope you feel better.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Actually that's not "light headed" that's referred to as pre-syncope
Yes, I know
But I was trying to use plain English instead of a medical term. I'm an RN and I also have pre-syncope as well as syncope, and "light headed" is a good way to explain the sensation.

So far as causes, yes, there are many causes. But according to the OP it was a first, so chances are it's something not "major" and more likely caused by dehydration. And it's best to not go with the alarmist explanation when drinking a few glasses of water would do the trick.

Yes of course if it continues she should see a doctor.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, I know
But I was trying to use plain English instead of a medical term. I'm an RN and I also have pre-syncope as well as syncope, and "light headed" is a good way to explain the sensation.
My doctors have wrote those all down as separate. Light headedness is a symptom in both but not the same. It's more like the head rush type feeling when one stands, but doesn't have to have the other symptoms with it. Three of the times I've had full faints there was no warning - frightening and the sort of thing that gets a person's license taken away.

As for other causes, who knows what else she's been taking? Everyone is sick lately and cold meds have plenty of side effects and do contain acetaminophen or NSAIDs. It could be bad if a person thinks they're "just" dehydrated if it's a side effect of something else.

-Interestingly a lot of RNs get health problems that involve bad syncope and/or even worse diseases. I wonder if the stress on the body from the hours and type of work is more then some people's bodies are meant to handle?