Memphis and Lily meet

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As I type this, I'm sitting on the toilet (the lid down of course
) in my bathroom, watching my two cats meet for the first time.
This was not planned. Memphis lives next door with my little sister (he's HER cat) ever since we moved a few weeks ago, but he misses me and often tries to get over here. With my sister being 15, she doesn't get that maybe it's best for Memphis to live with me, and won't allow it. Memphis snuck out (again).
It's 1.15am here, and I heard a meow outside. I thought... that's weird... because Lily was next to me. (For those who don't know, I got Lily only a week and a half ago). I open my front door, and in strolls Memphis. I immediately freak out, because I know that he's not prepared for Lily and Lily isn't prepared, and I'm not prepared either! I live in a 1 bedroom unit, I can't exactly separate them - So, what happened was
Memphis must have smelt the smell of Lily on the litter, and went straight for the bathroom. I followed him, Lily followed me (as she does).
I sit between them on the ground. There is a lot of... well, not growling, more like a howling sound really... and one or two hisses from each party. They are staring at each other. I'm letting them, because it's too late to separate them now and do this thing properly. Memphis is VERY friendly and just loves me, so I can pet him through this and make him aware that even though this cat is new and strange, I still love him very much. He calms down.
Lily doesn't.

So as I'm typing this now... Memphis is asleep. and Lily is eying him off!!
There's not really any advice I need from here onwards, as it's just a matter of them getting used to each other (It's just so annoying because I planned for Lily to get settled in well before I introduced them, the proper way! Slowly!!)
Now, I know that Lily will be okay. She was in a room with about 10 other cats and kittens at the foster house, and she got along great with all of them. I wonder if she was like this there, because there were cats coming and going constantly, and she was there a few months, or if it's just because she's settled into "HER" house, and here's an invader!!

I'm trying so hard to give them equal amounts of attention so they know I love them equally...

So I just wanted to share how MY night had been!!

that they get along pleeease!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sooner than I thought, an update!

I thought all was going to be fine, so I headed off to bed. Both tried to follow me. Lily scared Memphis away.
Lily jumps on the bed with me.
Memphis tries to get into the bedroom and Lily growls at him.
I tried to pick him up and comfort him and take him in too, but he is really terrified of her.
I hope this gets better by the morning... Oh well... at least Memphis is eating the wet food that Lily didn't like tonight!!

Oh, what a dilemma.

My poor little Memphis. I wish he could just come live here

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tobi

it's just because she's settled into "HER" house, and here's an invader!!
i think that's the problem
Originally Posted by Tobi

I'm trying so hard to give them equal amounts of attention so they know I love them equally...
maybe you should reassure Lily more... Memphis already knows you love him, & she's probably feeling threatened by this 'invader'.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know....If Lily has only been in the house for a week and a half, is that really enough time for her to have claimed the house as her territory and to classify Memphis as an invader?

I guess it depends upon the cat. And females tend to be more territorial than males.