TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Thanks for the civil discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thanks for the civil discussion

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
One of the reasons I'm around here is that I finally gave up on one of my favorite forums. The owner of the forum has a real potty mouth, and he can say nothing good about anyone he disagrees with. He says since they are "public figures," he has the right to say anything he wants to.

I really appreciate that it looks like people can disagree here without being disagreeable.
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
One of the reasons I'm around here is that I finally gave up on one of my favorite forums. The owner of the forum has a real potty mouth, and he can say nothing good about anyone he disagrees with. He says since they are "public figures," he has the right to say anything he wants to.

I really appreciate that it looks like people can disagree here without being disagreeable.
We try!

I have been known to come back and edit my posts after the fact.
post #3 of 9
We used to have someone in the office who couldn't string a sentence without swearing.

I think were all capable of the odd swear word, but theres a time and a place for everything and respecting others
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
One of the reasons I'm around here is that I finally gave up on one of my favorite forums. The owner of the forum has a real potty mouth, and he can say nothing good about anyone he disagrees with. He says since they are "public figures," he has the right to say anything he wants to.

I really appreciate that it looks like people can disagree here without being disagreeable.
I think we have the moderators to thank for that. They are quick to jump in if a discussion gets out of hand.
post #5 of 9
that's one of the reasons I like it here! We can have an educated arguement. It's okay to disagree with people... not everyone thinks alike. I like to know what other people think and try and look at things from their point of view. It makes us all more educated in the end.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
I think we have the moderators to thank for that. They are quick to jump in if a discussion gets out of hand.
Our mods do a great job at keeping the forums a pleasant and positive place to be
post #7 of 9
The cat site actually has the discussions that I enjoy the most. I didn't expect a site dedicated to an animal to be so interesting and challenging without being too dogmatic or degenerating into just calling names, etc.

I really think it's thanks to the mods.
post #8 of 9
Honestly, while the mods who are in charge of this forum (Tricia and Fran...I'm just a regular visitor ) do a great job of keeping all of us (me included ) in line, I really think that a lot of credit goes to the members who participate. It is easy for a disagreement to degenerate into name calling, but it is much more difficult to keep the discussion not only fairly civil, but intelligent and educating.

I really appreciate the various points of view that are shared here with intelligence and passion. There's nothing wrong with passion, as long as it is directed at the debate and not the person (i.e. personal attack) behind the argument. I really think that the members here do a really great job of seeing the difference - we can disagree in here and still be friends and talk nicely in the rest of the forums.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
Honestly, while the mods who are in charge of this forum (Tricia and Fran...I'm just a regular visitor ) do a great job of keeping all of us (me included ) in line, I really think that a lot of credit goes to the members who participate. It is easy for a disagreement to degenerate into name calling, but it is much more difficult to keep the discussion not only fairly civil, but intelligent and educating.

I really appreciate the various points of view that are shared here with intelligence and passion. There's nothing wrong with passion, as long as it is directed at the debate and not the person (i.e. personal attack) behind the argument. I really think that the members here do a really great job of seeing the difference - we can disagree in here and still be friends and talk nicely in the rest of the forums.
I think most of the members who participate in the IMO forum really want to hear all sides and have a logical, educational discussion.

It is wonderful to be able to get viewpoints on a variety of very "explosive" topics from people all over the world. This forum is the most civil and respectful one I have ever participated in.

Just plain great people on this site, mod and members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Thanks for the civil discussion