Energy Drinks

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried 'em and don't intend to, but you sure do see everyone drinking energy drinks now!

The dad of one of my daughter's friends drank a couple of cans a day to lose weight. His body went into hyperthyroidism and the docs are unable to stop his weight loss! He's really thin now and keeps losing. He's in bad shape; his heart is racing all the time and he's very tired from it. What a mistake!

Do you drink energy drinks? I've heard they are super-addictive.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to drink them all the time. Then I noticed whenever I'd have one I'd get sharp stabbing pains in my head. I stay away from them now. They aren't good for you.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to drink them years ago when I was around 16. I dont drink them any more because as everyone else has stated they are bad for you!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
naw, to much surger in them.
and before that i never liked the taste.
mt dew did just fine.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They taste too sweet, can't stand to drink them

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never liked any energy drinks... I used to like some sports drinks like blue Powerade but I don't really drink those much anymore either. Now, I mostly stick to Vitaminwater and bottled water.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I drink them if I'm really tired and need to stay up, probably 2-3 times a month. They give me the same boost coffee does, but without the stomach problems and nausea.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a rapid heart beat so doing something stupid like drinking an energy drink would send my heart into overdrive and NOT be a good thing- so i stear clear like my cardiologist recommended. I also don't drink a lot of caffine eithor for the same reason.

I don't mind one bit though- i haven't even had a soft drink in about 10 years, so it's no big deal to me!
I think if people need more energy they really might want to consider what their eating/exercise/ and sleeping habits are- they can play a huge role in energy levels- so can knowing your health in general. Me for instance- i get tired a lot- but i have a few health issues that result in it- so knowing what triggers me helps me avoid certain things so i have a little more energy...no energy drink needed

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ You have rapid heart beat too? How fast and what triggers it? (if you don't mind me asking) Really that and all your other health problems are sound very connected. As I've been learning lately, if your autonomic nervous system messes up lots of things go wrong, including reproductive system and GI.

Back on topic - No, never touched them. The ingredients sound nasty and what I've smelled stinks. Don't really see the point in them anyways.

I'm supposed to be drinking "sports drinks" with added electrolytes... and was drinking Propel but had to quit, I really cannot handle artificial sweeteners. That seems to be what set off my nausea as my stomach settled down, finally. Anyone know of ones without that don't taste horrible?

I went from drinking at least 4 cans of pop a day to pretty much none since Janurary.
I have tachycardia problems caused by standing up or just trying to stay upright (but thankfully meds seem to be helping!) and figured my heart didn't need the extra stimulant. I occasionally have some pepsi if we're eating at a restaurant - but one glass is it. Unfortunately, giving up caffeine didn't seem to help. Oh well, less money spent.

I hope doctors can help the guy. It's just more proof that really the stuff we commonly put in our bodies everyday always have some side effects, for the unlucky few it can be deadly (or near so).

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Red Bull! I also LOVE Rockstar Fruit Punch Flavor! The Rockstar is awesome and tastes like the tiki punch stuff we drank as kids...

But I loff Red Bull. I used to have one every morning, but it's an expensive habit :p so I deal with coffee or Black Tea Lemonades from Starbucks!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i occasionally drink them aswel. only really when i need to stay awake though, but Red Bull's nice with vodka!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax

i occasionally drink them aswel. only really when i need to stay awake though, but Red Bull's nice with vodka!
Red Bull with vodka. It's probably the worst thing you could do with an energy drink but it is tasty.

I used to drink them all the time. Now I've slowed down a bit and only have one once every couple of months or so. And when I do have one, it's just a little Red Bull which is actually the healthiest one on the market. All of the others have incredible amounts of caffeine, guarana (which comes from a plant that has more caffeine than coffee beans (3-4%vs 1-2%)), and who could forget aspartame which may cause brain tumors and brain lesions.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Red Bull with vodka. It's probably the worst thing you could do with an energy drink but it is tasty.

I used to drink them all the time. Now I've slowed down a bit and only have one once every couple of months or so. And when I do have one, it's just a little Red Bull which is actually the healthiest one on the market. All of the others have incredible amounts of caffeine, guarana (which comes from a plant that has more caffeine than coffee beans (3-4%vs 1-2%)), and who could forget aspartame which may cause brain tumors and brain lesions.
blimey!
i don't drink them all that much, sort of gone off vodka lately! i will drink it every so often though

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a sip of Red Bull a couple of years ago and it tasted like cought syrup to me!!

In the last spring /summer when I am working I will drink diluted gatorade as one doesn't need the full strength stuff unless you are working out more than 2 hours. I have some nasty gatorade branded packets of electrolytes too. I dehydrate easy in the summer so I have to watch my fluid comsumption.

A mountain dew will work once in a while too!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only time I drink energy drinks is when we're doing long road trips. We change drivers every 2 hours, and I usually sleep the 2 hours I'm not driving, so occasionally have an energy drink (or just a regular soda) at the changeover to make sure I'm not sleepy while driving. Only time I have them though. I don't think they taste very nice...