Specks on ears, what could they be?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Matilda's white ear today I noticed a lot of dirty brown specks. They aren't inside (like ear mites), just on the outside. She's an indoor-only cat. I tried taking a picture but couldn't get a decent one with my camera.

Anything to worry about?

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted a stray white cat years ago. The top of his ears were covered in rabbit fleas. Doubt if this is the case on indoor cat. Sounds more like ear wax, try wiping it off gently with a cotton bud and olive oil.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe the spots are the actual pigment markings of the skin. My cat has those brown spots on his ear but are not really visible.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by saya

could be flea dirt.
does it come off?
That's what I'm wondering too. Are the spots raise? Are they more like scabs or dirt? You may want to call a vet just to be on the safe side. It's probably nothing and I don't want to scare you but when Jake first got sick, he presented with raised spots on his ears that turned out to be a giant scab all over his face, eventually. I'm not saying that's what your cat has. I'd just watch carefully and call the vet with any sign of growing or spreading.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Carly got those and they turned out to be little scabs as she was scratching around her ears a lot. It turns out that the new litter we were using was irritating her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They actually come off pretty easily but I don't think it's dirt, she is indoor-only.

I use World's Best Cat Litter, but the specks are too small to be litter.

Hmm.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
not dirt...

flea dirt. It's different. It's basically flea "stuff".
does your kitty have fleas?

even if she's indoor only she can still get fleas, you could have brought one in on your clothes or something.
my kitties are mostly indoor and they still get them if I don't give them flea meds monthly