A Hawk in Winter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Driving down one of our surburban two-lane roads here in Michigan, something along the side of the road in the snow caught my eye. It's a kind of wooded area with about a 20-30 foot setback and then a fence with houses on the other side... lots of stumps b/c of Emerald Ash Borer (ugh!).

I slowed down to try to make it out -- it was some kind of hawk! It was on the snow - one leg on the ground -the other hiked up and on top of its prey.

Brown wings and head, speckled white and brown chest yellowish brown beak and that's all I could make out at 35-40 mph. I turned around to get another look, but it had taken off with its lunch!!

It was soooo cool.

In the summer, I see them wheeling around in the sky, hunting, especially in the wetlands area. We also have Peregrines here... but this looked too big to be a Peregrine.

Wished I coulda gotten a photo of it. Oh well.....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably red-tail hawk tho you didn't see the tail - I believe they have a brown head and brown/white speckled chest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Probably red-tail hawk tho you didn't see the tail - I believe they have a brown head and brown/white speckled chest.
I think you're right. Tho' I didn't get a great look, I googled hawks and that was the closest one. A magnificent creature, tho' I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those talons!!!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday we were out at a pond and we saw a hawk. Not sure what type but I am pretty sure it was a red tail because we have a lot of them around here. Which brings me to a cool story. About 1 1/2-2 years ago I was out at the store by my house talking with a friend outside. On top of a phone pole was a red tail hawk (about 10 or so feet away). And suddenly it swooped down beside me to grab a lizard that was on a wall behind me.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are amazing to see, we have a few red-tail hawks and a local Snowey owl that I see on a regular basis. They are so fierce looking and beautiful to watch fly, it almost takes your breath away every tiome you see them.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an awesome eye for sporting animals (deer and hawks especially). On my way to work I see at least 4 hawks along side of the interstate.

Growing up my dad raised a red-tail hawk (country boy). He is looking forward to retirement, getting a permit and raising another.

Leslie

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I have an awesome eye for sporting animals (deer and hawks especially). On my way to work I see at least 4 hawks along side of the interstate.

Growing up my dad raised a red-tail hawk (country boy). He is looking forward to retirement, getting a permit and raising another.

Leslie
Then you would love my mom's backyard. We're on the trekking pathway (or whatever it's called) for deer. The walk along the back lot line, which is wooded. The other day, I saw 6-8 young females. Two stood guard while the others nibbled on trees. They're sooooo pretty!!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably is a Red-tailed Hawk because they are very common. They are large, stocky birds usually with a dark head. If you didn't see the tail but could distinguish the other two features then you can be pretty sure that it is a red-tail.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a site with lots of pics of Pale Male - the granddaddy of the NYC redtails. Lincoln Kareem, the photographer, has devoted most of his time, when he's not at his job, to taking pics of Pale Male and Lola.

He's a brilliant photographer. You can click on one of the pictures and get a pictorial archive of his pics.

Did the bird you see resemble this one?

www.palemale.com

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

Here's a site with lots of pics of Pale Male - the granddaddy of the NYC redtails. Lincoln Kareem, the photographer, has devoted most of his time, when he's not at his job, to taking pics of Pale Male and Lola.

He's a brilliant photographer. You can click on one of the pictures and get a pictorial archive of his pics.

Did the bird you see resemble this one?

www.palemale.com
Yes, including the yellow on the beak. Gosh they're magnificent creatures!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MY in-laws have a bunch of land that my husband and brother in laws hunt on. They wanna take me hunting just because I can spot so well--I'll have nothing to do with it though. Dont' like them shooting bambi or thumper.

Leslie

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hawks are extremely numerous down here, especially when there is a storm north of here. We've counted as many as one per mile on some longer trips.

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see at least 5 everyday here in VA.Beautful bird,we are starting to get quite a number of eagle seen around here in the last 2 yearsI am totely in love with them,I must have a ton of eagle thing in my house!!