Rescued a kitty and..she needs some vibes

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter and I found a little black kitty today, and we took her straight to the vet to be looked at because she was kinda dragging her back leg and was sneezing something horrible! He checked her temp and it was 104
She also has some really bad lesions inside her mouth!!

I left her at the vets for the night because I am not sure if I want to put alot of money into her right now. I felt horrible seeing her suffering and want to so badly keep her but I cant risk my cats getting whatever she has! I would appreciate some vibes if you could spare some.

PS, my daughter already named her Smokey.

The vet says she is like 4 mos old, so shes not terribly little.

UPDATE:
I spoke with the vet awhile ago and he is going to start her on Clavimox and keep her for the weekend to see how she responds. If you can continue the good vibes please, we appreciate it!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i totally understand the financial aspect of it... Firefox is my most expensive kitty EVER, i think, what with meds, vet visits, KMR, etc. she even topped Mouse [who ran me about $1500 when she took ill & passed.] but i feel it was worth it - look!
first night

last month [2/1/08]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i totally understand the financial aspect of it... Firefox is my most expensive kitty EVER, i think, what with meds, vet visits, KMR, etc. she even topped Mouse [who ran me about $1500 when she took ill & passed.] but i feel it was worth it - look!
first night

last month [2/1/08]

Oh my goodness!!! She was so tiny! Wow! How amazing.....

pussy_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awe, I'm so sorry.
It's always hard in situations like this. As much as it sucks- everything comes down to money, and unfortuntely, it's not something most of us have much of.

It sounds as if this kitty might have FVR (feline viral rhinotraceitis) or calici virus. FVR is an upper respitory infection and can cause fever, tongue lesions, sneezeing, nasal and eye discharge, conjunctivitis, lethargy, loss of appetitie, depression, etc.
My cat had this and had a 103 degree fever. I brought him home and started him on antibiotics and eye ointment (antibiotic). Unfortunately it took months of being on antibiotics to "cure" him of some of these symptoms. He has a supressed immune system and takes L-Lysine twice daily and is now doing wonderfly.

It was a very smart idea not to bring the kitty home because these kind of infections are very contagious and can even be passed by clothes/shoes. When my cat was sick I had to be sure to wear one set of clothes with him and another with my other cats and I also has to wash my hands with antibacterial soap and use Lysol frequently and Detol and bleech to clean with. It was quite the job but luckily none of the other cats in the house hold got it!!

You can only do what you can do so don't be too hard on yourself. I wish you the best of luck and I'll be saying a prayer for the little kitty

Take care

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Saying so many prayers for sweet Smokey Bless you for taking the dear little one to receive help, one way or another you made a difference for her...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

The vet says she is like 4 mos old, so shes not terribly little.

UPDATE:
I spoke with the vet awhile ago and he is going to start her on Clavimox and keep her for the weekend to see how she responds. If you can continue the good vibes please, we appreciate it!!
More vibes being sent!

What about the leg?

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
being sent from here too. Did they say anything about the leg?

We found Lil' Jag at 14 weeks old as well.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*bump*

Smokey is still at the vet......
I am hopefully going to be able to get her today.

pussy_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awe, well I hope she can come home today! How is she doing any ways? Starting to feel better I hope. Did the vet say whether or not she was a threat to your own cats or is what she had not going to pass to them?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that she comes home today!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pussy_cat

Awe, well I hope she can come home today! How is she doing any ways? Starting to feel better I hope. Did the vet say whether or not she was a threat to your own cats or is what she had not going to pass to them?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that she comes home today!!
Nope, he said probly tomorrow!
He is worried about the sneezing she still has.....and so am I! I dont want anything brought to my cats.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bump~

Smokey is still at the vet
My daughter and I went in Friday to see her and visit with the vet, he decided to start her on another med and told me to call Monday...keep fingers crossed that she can come home, please!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Praying for your baby! Don't give up hope! Are you going to visit her while she's at the vet?

When we got Hannah, she was approx. 7 mos. old, weighed 4.5 pounds, flea infested, worm infested, mite infested, and so sick with an URI. She spent the first week of her life with us at the vet with IV fluids and meds. I went and visited her every single day and she would love on me and eat for me. Then she'd lay down on the table and go to sleep! LOL (They told me a couple of months later that they thought she wouldn't make it through the first night.) When she came home, she stayed in solitary confinement for a month because she was still sneezing and running a fever. We made almost weekly trips to the vet and went through 5 different meds. I kept the vaporizer going and put a portable heater in her room to make sure she stayed warm. She pulled through and is a very healthy girl now, some 2.5 years later.

Then: (Doesn't she just look miserable?)

Just Yesterday:

Stephanie

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Praying for your baby! Don't give up hope! Are you going to visit her while she's at the vet?

When we got Hannah, she was approx. 7 mos. old, weighed 4.5 pounds, flea infested, worm infested, mite infested, and so sick with an URI. She spent the first week of her life with us at the vet with IV fluids and meds. I went and visited her every single day and she would love on me and eat for me. Then she'd lay down on the table and go to sleep! LOL (They told me a couple of months later that they thought she wouldn't make it through the first night.) When she came home, she stayed in solitary confinement for a month because she was still sneezing and running a fever. We made almost weekly trips to the vet and went through 5 different meds. I kept the vaporizer going and put a portable heater in her room to make sure she stayed warm. She pulled through and is a very healthy girl now, some 2.5 years later.

Then: (Doesn't she just look miserable?)

Just Yesterday:

Stephanie
Thank you. That gives me hope!!!

She is a beautiful cat btw.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a black cat named Smokey, too. I'm sending healing and quick recovery vibes for your Smokey