Interesting cat facts. Post yours!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Post an interesting cat fact you're heard or read.

Even the outlandish ones we all know aren't true are fair game.

Try to limit your posts to one or two facts so everyone that wants to can participate.

I'll start it off:

Did you know....the average cat eats about 127,750 calories annually. Nearly 28 times it's own weight in food.

Also.......

Cat's can't taste sweets.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat has more bones than a human; humans have 206, but the cat has 230 ( i knew, but had to look up the exact amount
)

Cats walk on their toes!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The domestic cat is the only cat species able to hold its tail vertically while walking. All wild cats hold their tails horizontally or tucked between their legs while walking.

A single pair of cats and their kittens can produce as many as 420,000 kittens in just 7 years.

The Giraffe, Camel and Cat are the only animals that walk by moving both their left feet, then both their right feet, when walking. This method of walking ensures speed, agility and silence.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if it just used the litterbox, a cat will use it again as soon as you have cleaned it.

(OK, so maybe not a fact - more like a factoid.
)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Even if it just used the litterbox, a cat will use it again as soon as you have cleaned it.

(OK, so maybe not a fact - more like a factoid.
)
No. That's a fact. It really is....

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When cats walk they move one set of front and back legs at the same time. For example, they will step with their right front and back legs, then their left front and back legs. There are only two other animals in the world that walk like that.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The typical man can hear up to 15,000 cycles per second. A woman can hear 17,000, a child can hear 20,000, and dog can hear 40,000. But some cats can hear as high as 100,000 cps. They can also distinguish between two separate sounds 6 inches apart 100 feet away.

(If you wondered how your cat always knew to meet you at the door, now you know! My brother said he always knew when we were coming home in the truck, because the cats perked up as soon as we turned onto our road...8/10 of a mile away! We figure they could hear the turbocharger on it.)

dina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cool stuff

Ok my turn

A cats tail is used for balance

Cats have two layers of furr

Cats are the only animals that purr

Cats noses are unique something like human finger prints (so i have heard)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have whiskers on their elbows!

And have you ever looked at a cat's tongue up close? It's not rough, like sandpaper; it's got tiny little hooks on it--like Velcro!

Also, they shed their whiskers like they shed hair... Tiny has got a habit of leaving me his shed whiskers, which is weird because he almost never sits in my lap. Like he's waiting to drop them when he's with me. Little weirdo!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A group of cats is called a clowder, a group of kittens is called a kindle.

A cat's jaws can't move sideways.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Domestic Cat can run up to speeds of 30mph.

There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Cats walk on their toes, not on their paw pads.
Actually, they DO walk on their paw pads. That's what the pads are for.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually, they DO walk on their paw pads. That's what the pads are for.
http://maxshouse.com/facts_about_declawing.htm

The Catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Claws
Unlike most mammals who walk on the soles of the paws or feet, cats are digitigrade, which means they walk on their toes. Their back, shoulder, paw and leg joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves are naturally designed to support and distribute the cat's weight across its toes as it walks, runs and climbs. A cat's claws are used for balance, for exercising, and for stretching the muscles in their legs, back, shoulders, and paws. They stretch these muscles by digging their claws into a surface and pulling back against their own clawhold - similar to isometric exercising for humans. This is the only way a cat can exercise, stretch and tone the muscles of its back and shoulders. The toes help the foot meet the ground at a precise angle to keep the leg, shoulder and back muscles and joints in proper alignment. Removal of the last digits of the toes drastically alters the conformation of their feet and causes the feet to meet the ground at an unnatural angle that can cause back pain similar to that in humans caused by wearing improper shoes.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

http://maxshouse.com/facts_about_declawing.htm

The Cat’s Claws
Unlike most mammals who walk on the soles of the paws or feet, cats are digitigrade, which means they walk on their toes. Their back, shoulder, paw and leg joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves are naturally designed to support and distribute the cat's weight across its toes as it walks, runs and climbs. A cat's claws are used for balance, for exercising, and for stretching the muscles in their legs, back, shoulders, and paws. They stretch these muscles by digging their claws into a surface and pulling back against their own clawhold - similar to isometric exercising for humans. This is the only way a cat can exercise, stretch and tone the muscles of its back and shoulders. The toes help the foot meet the ground at a precise angle to keep the leg, shoulder and back muscles and joints in proper alignment. Removal of the last digits of the toes drastically alters the conformation of their feet and causes the feet to meet the ground at an unnatural angle that can cause back pain similar to that in humans caused by wearing improper shoes.
I never disagreed that they walk on their toes, but please point out exactly where in the above it states that they do not walk on their paw pads, please?

The paw pads are UNDER THEIR TOES. When they walk, their paw pads DIRECTLY touch the surface they are walking on.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I never disagreed that they walk on their toes, but please point out exactly where in the above it states that they do not walk on their paw pads, please?

The paw pads are UNDER THEIR TOES. When they walk, their paw pads DIRECTLY touch the surface they are walking on.
I'm not exactly sure why you want to argue so I'm leaving this thread. I thought this was supposed to be a fun thread.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not exactly sure why you want to argue so I'm leaving this thread. I thought this was supposed to be a fun thread.
I never disagreed with the fact that they walk on their toes, so I am a bit confused as to why you are seeing this as an argument. This is a thread about cat FACTS, correct?

All I was doing was pointing out that cats do, in fact, walk on their paw pads, when you stated that they do not. It's a simple fact and easy to see for yourself when they walk.

There's no reason to get all upset!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, if ya'll want to really technical, they walk on their toe paw pads, so while they do walk on their toes, it is cushioned by those pads. I think the main point is that cats don't walk flat-footed like humans do, if you've ever tried to walk around with just the ball of your foot and your toes touching the ground (like when the floor is cold
) that's how cat's walk all the time
http://www.pawsonline.info/paws.htm

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lemme see....facts, eh?

When one wants privacy, the cat is there!

No matter how many times you lint roller your clothes, you always end up full of cat hair before you get where you are going.

I don't know any real facts!