Grooming a foo foo puppy?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've gotta shave Isabel myself. Any tips?

I shaved her bum last night, she continually had poop in her fuzz on her bum & back legs. She looks stupid now.

I don't like any of the groomers in the area, the one place I do kinda like an hour away won't groom her til she's UTD on shots & it'll be 3 more weeks before that happens.
Can't wait that long!

I've got the clipper/shavy thingy. I use that last night.

I'm wondering how to do her head/ears/face?

BTW - She's a Bichon Foo Foo Frise!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I am guessing your hands are steady
... I would get a handheld ft face groomer ...

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would shave the bridge of her nose but that's it, maybe clip off any mats you see, because if she's going to the groomer's you're going to want to leave them something to work with.

But if you want to just entirely shave her, you could do that too. I have a lhasa/terrier cross who I shave entirely.

Does she normall get groomed by a bichon? Here's a website with tips on grooming:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/R.../grooming.html it's pretty indepth though.

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mum's Bichon gets a professional groom every few months, but in between they do a touch up job on him! He gets an even shave all over. Not shaved as in... all the hair gone, but as in, cut shorter evenly =]
Then they shave his tummy completely
They don't bother with the legs or tail if they're just doing a touch up job but they cut short around the rear.
As far as the face goes, don't do too much or they look like a skinny little poodle thing haha, trim the hair on the "snout" and around the eyes, and leave it at that! as long as he gets a good brush he can wait for a proper groom I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh well if she held still it might not have looked like I took a hack saw to her!
I took pics last night, she looks stupid!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Oh well if she held still it might not have looked like I took a hack saw to her!
I took pics last night, she looks stupid!
Dont feel bad .. I gave Gigi s feet a trim and she was embarassed to been seen out

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only got one semi-decent pic.....she was all fuzzy & now is all nekkid.

Before Pic:

After Pic:

She looks stupid, but I don't care. She isn't full of poop when she rolls in it (which she always does). Easy to clean-up when she's been rolling in nasty stuff!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww, I think you did a great job!

one question, did you use clippers especially for dogs or human clippers?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used scissors to try to cut around her face/legs. I used the humane societies clippers so I'm assuming they're for animals.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked at the sets in Wal Mart last night they were like $25 & $45 I think?
I'm considering buying some, although might invest a bit more & get them from a petstore just so I know they're a decent quality.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love your title of the thread. That had me giggling to start with. Your excitement of being an "aunt" has worn off fast huh?

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww.. she's cute.. I wouldn't know where to begin with grooming. I think you did a good job

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm curious, is she young?

She looks just fine, but I ask her age because her coat really isn't typical Bichon Coat, so it would be hard to groom and make her look like a Bichon, so you had a hard groom job on your hands!

I personally think she looks adorable, and at least now she doesn't have poop stuck to her bum!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was fun when I was an aunt, it stinks now that she's mine.

I don't like puppies & I don't like little dogs. How did I end up with both?

She's 13 weeks old. Her coat has always been pretty straight, which is weird to me, when it's wet she gets a bit curlier at least. Now she looks kinda fuzzy.....

Downside to this? She really won't go outside, she freezes in like 30 seconds! I can't teach her to potty outside if she's a popsicle, so I'm hoping I can find a sweater or something for her, I can't get any locally though so it'll have to wait until mid to late next week when I can get her to the pet store.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oyster razors are the best! I use a 10 blade on that type of fur. If you want a sanitary shave on her rear end though switch it to a 40 blade and make sure they're sharpened properly, a dull blade will cause razor burn and we wouldn't want that!