As St Patrick's Day is coming up........

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering which of you have Irish connections and what are they? I'd just be interested to know!!

My Irish roots go back a long way; my mother's side is a long long Irish side. My dad's dad's family were scottish but his mum was born to an Irish family. I haven't traced back any further!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do have Irish in my ancestry, not very much, but a little, plus my full name is Kathleen!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The closest I am to being Irish is having visited there once.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm half Irish!! My Grandpa's side goes back all the way!! I am not sure about my biological father as he hasnt been a part of my life in many many years. My grandma is about 70% Cherokee Indian an it goes back pretty far but Im not sure quite how far!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great responses so far! One of the reasons I asked was that I noticed a lot of people mention Irish names, either their own or someone in their family.

Visiting Ireland may not make you Irish but you still have a connection to Ireland

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad's side of the family is Irish, but I've never been there. It's on my "to do" list though!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got major Irish roots on my Mom's side of the family. Well, one line is Scot/Irish.
I'm also like Brandi...my Irish ancestors married into the Native Americans.

sammiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both my mother and birth father were half Irish and half Scottish. In fact, my mother moved to the U.S. from Scotland when she was 7.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm partially Irish. My dad's side is more 3/4 Irish (the rest is German and Native American), and my mom's side is half Scot/Irish and half German.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The entire area I live in in highly Irish/Scottish Both grandparents on my mom's side are from mixed backgrounds in both Irish and Scottish. My grandmother still speeks some Gaelic even though they were born in Canada
My dad's side is mostly Irish, English, French and Native american.

My name in Gaelic means Powerful river

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm half Irish.
My Grandparents and Father were born in Dublin.
He didn't remember it though, he was just a little guy when they left.
I still have some cousins there (they visited a few times)...I'll go when they build a great big bridge...I wouldn't get in an airplane if my life depended on it!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father's side of the family is Irish. My maiden name is Phalen. Dad's father was Irish but his mother was German. My Mom is German, so I guess that I am 3/4 Irish. On St. Pat's Day, I am all Irish!

chicagogoblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

I was wondering which of you have Irish connections and what are they? I'd just be interested to know!!

My Irish roots go back a long way; my mother's side is a long long Irish side. My dad's dad's family were scottish but his mum was born to an Irish family. I haven't traced back any further!!
I'm Irish 1 day of the year, and that's not actually on St. Patrick's Day; it's the day of Chicago's Southside Irish Parade which is a week before St. Patty's Day.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

Does it count if I say my sister's birthday is March 17, and her middle name is Colleen?

Not other Irish connection, so far as I know...