PetSmart is for the dogs!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Literally almost. <rant> So I wanted to try out the Litter Locker. I called our local pet store and they carry refills but not the actual locker. So I went to petsmart. I needed litter too so no biggie.

They have moved things around and the cat section (which is a fraction of the size of the dog section) is all the way in the back corner behind the birds, fish, reptiles and other furry creatures. Boo! I did find a good sale on litter and they even had the cat attract additive which I've been looking for. While hunting for the locker I picked up a harness. After a thurough search of all 5 cat aisles I went to an employee (of which there were only about 3... all way younger than me). The girl looks at me like I have two heads and tells me that she doesn't work the cat department and doesn't know. It's called customer service people... if you don't know... find someone who does! Well, after I got a littler short (I've been super moody lately) she went and asked someone that does stocking. Yes, they carry them but they are out right now. She apologized a few times as did I for being so short with her. I'm still irked though. Not only is most of their stuff overpriced ($200 for a tree 1/2 the size of the ones people here have gotten off ebay) but their cat selection is terrible! </rant> Ok, I'm done now... but I knew my fellow cat lovers could appreciate my frustration at their lacking cat section.

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cat section in the Petsmart near me is just as huge as the dog section. There's also a rather large Equine section. Maybe that Petsmart is poorly set up?

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

The cat section in the Petsmart near me is just as huge as the dog section. There's also a rather large Equine section. Maybe that Petsmart is poorly set up?
Cool! I've never seen an Equine section in a Petsmart before!!
The couple Petsmarts that I have visited had it set-up where one half of the store was all dog stuff and the other half was 3/4 cat with the rest of the aisles for small animals, birds and fish. So, there was more dog stuff, but it wasn't a drastic difference. And since I am a cat and dog owner, I must defend the couple extra aisles of dog stuff....dogs come in sizes ranging from smaller than a cat to small pony...they have to have more room to accommodate for that diversity among the breeds. Cats, generally, are around the same size needing less space for collars and toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya know, our store used to have an equine section. It wasn't there today and I don't go often so I'd forgotten all about it. The way the store is set up now it's about ½ dog stuff, ¼ cat stuff and ¼ everything else.

Now, I'm not dissing dogs. Your totally right that there is much more sixe diversity for dogs and even though I don't have a dog now we plan to eventually. I was just frustrated that I spent half my lunch there and the girl seemed reluctant to help me at first using the excuse that she didn't work in the cat section.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The petsmart I go to has the cat secion right up fron and center it's great. I have a few friends who actually take their cats into the store and put them in the shopping cart it's so cute.
I have noticed the Dod section getting biger too though... hopefully your experiance isn't a taster of things to come for my store.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The petsmart here has a pretty cool cat section. Their bird section only has like 2 little aisles and barely a selection of toys at all. Thats the way it is in most pet stores though.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

The Petsmart I go to is pretty good. I always find all kinds of neat cat things there.
Ours is really good too, although their cat furniture/trees are pretty spendy, but everything else is good priced with good selections

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three petsmarts that I go to...they are all 1/2 dog, a 1/4 cat and 1/4 other small animals...equine sounds neat. The selection is OK, but it doesn't seem like they get a lot of new stuff and some things are very expensive vs online or other area petstores.

Target has my swheat scoop litter, and I have also become fond of the "healthy pet center" where I buy wellness and other better foods, so I'm only hitting petsmart when I have to.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We don't have a Petsmart here but I shop online. I got my litter for so much cheaper with FREE SHIP at times and I don't have to lug them home!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our petsmart's prices are better on things like litter and food (compared w/ petco). Their cat section is also larger than petco's. About the same as was mentioned above (1/2 dog, 1/4 cat, 1/4 "other"). I've never seen anyone in the cat section (employee-wise) except for the nutro sales lady. I had a friend who was a pet trainer at petsmart and told me that the store rarely gave her "floor" time to help customers or sell her classes (she'd be in the dog section for floor time anyway). Also , the specialty folks are only supposed to work in the small animal/fish/reptile/birds section...Not sure if they'd "get in trouble" for being in the cat section or not. I think they need to have at least one "general customer service" person on the floor in the store at all times to help with various product questions,etc.

I have often thought about working at petsmart...at least I"D give out correct information about freshwater fish, etc.... But, alas, I can't live off of minimum wage.

Art

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've noticed that Petsmarts seem to cater most to dogs. Apparently, dog owners must spend more on the pooches, because it would be a business decision on how to arrange a store. Also, when I was traveling around the country, I would check up the classifieds and compare the number of ads for purebred dogs v. purebred cats and it can be as high as over 200 ads for dogs v. 20 for purebred cats. Good job, cat people

sorry that you had to waste valuable lunchtime tho, how frustrating!! Customer service just isn't what it used to be

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of the stores cater to dogs.

If I could, I would love to start a store for cats only. I get so frustrated going to these places and have them tell me they carry such and such a brand but only in the dog food, etc.

Our Petsmart is the same, with the cat stuff way in the back behind the birds, reptiles, etc. The dog section is the entire right half of the store, the cat section is about 3 aisles. And they're always out of what I want.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on which Petsmart I go to. If its the one by work, then the cats are all the way in the back behind the dogs, reptiles and such.

The one by where I live is in the back too, but its open and wide, so easy to get back there...kind of like a 4 corners thing. The one by where I work is doubled rows.

Our area is mostly dogs...so yes, of course the dogs are catered too.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

All of the stores cater to dogs.

If I could, I would love to start a store for cats only. I get so frustrated going to these places and have them tell me they carry such and such a brand but only in the dog food, etc.

Our Petsmart is the same, with the cat stuff way in the back behind the birds, reptiles, etc. The dog section is the entire right half of the store, the cat section is about 3 aisles. And they're always out of what I want.
Our local pet store easily has as much for cats as they do dogs! They have a fantastic selection of foods and such but they don't carry some of the specialty items.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Petsmart we go to now has a good selection of cat "stuff" but the food/treats area is smaller than the Petsmart we went to in Iowa. We also have a Petco, Target, and Wal-Mart so I have plenty of places to get the stuff I need.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. In Regina they have 2 PetSmarts (I think?) although I've only been to one. Anyway there is only 2 cat aisles and the whole left side of the store (and that store is big) is for dogs. There's more fish stuff than there is for cats. It's better than my city though, here you have to get your cat stuff from Wal-Mart or Zellers.

ETA: There's an interesting selection of cat trees, the lowest being $20. I'll be going there within the next two weeks; here's to hoping I can buy something for the kits!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The Petsmart and Petco around here are about equal in size. You might put in a complaint.
I plan on saying something about the disappointing selection/size of the cat section.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All petsmarts have different sized sections, it all depends on the area that they are in. Obviously in your area there must be a greater demand for dog supplies, and less for kitty things, so they stock more dog stuff.