Stale food? Do you like it?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a radio question yesterday that asked, "what kinds of foods do you like stale"?

Are there any you like stale????

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never really thought about it.

The only time I worry about "best before" dates is with perishable foods such as meats and dairy products.

Canned, boxed, and non perishable bagged stuff on the shelf is fair game to consume because "best before" doesn't always mean no good to eat. So I definitely eat stale things on a daily basis but I don't purposefully set out to make them stale before consuming them.

That being said... it just occured to me that I like stale bread and bagels! I like to make "bagel chips" which involves slicing up a bagel into thin slices and putting them in the oven on very low heat and leaving them in there until they turn rock hard. I've also been known to stick the ends of bread on a plate in a cupboard and let them dry out for either bread crumbs or just to snack on.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love stale popcorn & PEEPS!

I just bought my first box of peeps last night & opened them a bit so they can dry out, thats how they are the best!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose that the bread I eat would be considered stale as with only two people in the house and buying "bakery" bread without preservatives its not fresh as the day its bought.

I forgot about the PEEPS!!!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mmmm, let's see...
Day-old popcorn (the air-popped kind with real butter) is wonderful
Gingersnaps that are left out for a month or two are great
The little pastel marshmallows (or any marshmallows) that are left in a half-open bag in the cupboard for several years are sooo yummy!!!!

Most soups are better if they are a couple days old, but I don't know if that counts as stale...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alot of people on the radio said "peeps".
I don't even like them fresh!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Alot of people on the radio said "peeps".
I don't even like them fresh!
I hate those things.

I don't like any stale food. My boyfriend loves stale cheesies (sp?) and I don't know how he eats them like that.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to say Peeps too...that's so funny!
I wonder if it's because once they were in our Easter baskets for more than a few hours, they got that "crusty outer layer", and so it reminds us of that? Nothing goes stale faster than a Peep!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I personally don't like stale food, but Aaron LOVES stale peeps. He will also put them in the freezer when they are fresh to mimic the stale effect.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of "Peeps" before. I had to look them up in google.

Are they just marshmallows shaped like animals and dyed with food colouring or something?