Home Birth vs Hospital....

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So.. I watched "The Business of being Born" Today and Yesterday ((Yes, I watched it twice))... VERY GOOD DOCUMENTARY!!!!
Now.. Ive decided ((since I was 6)) that I want to have a Home Birth... When I was 6 my mom had my lil sister right in her Bed and I watched, also when I was 9 my mom had my lil brother at a Home Birthing Center... I watched. Im the only one im my Family who has watched someone.. in person give Birth
My mom had 3 out of 4 Kids as Home Births... No complications at all.. in fact the one time she had a complication with giving Birth, she was having a Hospital Birth.
Now I never liked the Idea of Hospital Births.. Drugs Bother me so much.
This Documentary is 100% true.... More Babies are lost in Hospitals than at home... There are more Complications at Hospitals than at Home... the list goes on. If you dont believe me than watch the Documentary!... its a very Moving Docu.
I want to have my Kid(s) at Home... or at least at a Home Birthing Center ((Home Preferred)).
What about you?
and what are your inputs on this Subject?

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I put that I had a home birth and hospital birth. It actually was a birthing center birth and a hospital birth. So it is not exactly the same as being at home. I was too freaked to be at home since it would have been 40 min. drive to the nearest hospital if something went wrong. I have had three children: 1st was in hospital but all natural, 2nd was in birthing center and a water birth (and of course all natural) and my 3rd was in a hospital with an epidural.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose that I haven't had either but don't want a home birth. I'm just so worried that something might go wrong. I would feel much more comfortable at the hospital. Although, they do have "home birthing" centers that are more like hotels around here. I would think about that.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

This Documentary is 100% true.... More Babies are lost in Hospitals than at home... There are more Complications at Hospitals than at Home...
But aren't most babies born in hopitals? That would make sense then.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cesarean birth, and will only have c sections for here on in. I'm more than happy to have a hospital birth. If anything goes wrong while you're at home, you risk yourself and your baby's lives.

Even if I had a problem free pregnancy, I personally would not feel safe having a home birth.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a legitimate reason that complications and death occur more often in hospitals than with home births. Any reputable midwife or OB-GYN will not permit a high risk patient to deliver at home. So the premies or babies with a known medical issue will be born in a hospital - and some of them will die.

I was told that I could not have children. When I managed to get pregnant, they worried about how long I could stay pregnant. We celebrated when I reached 28 weeks - the point at which the baby had good odds of surviving and being healthy. Labor and delivery - pfffft! No way I could care less about it - my focus was on a healthy baby and doing whatever I could to make it happen. Hook me up to any monitor you want and give me whatever will help.
Jason came early. The transport helicopter was sitting on the pad, ready to transport him across town if he needed a higher level nursery. His neonatalogist, his anesthologist, my OB-GYN, my anesthologist and an assortment of nurses helped my son into the World. And you know what? I don't think I missed out on a thing.

And my son? He's 27, his brother is 25 and his sister is 21. That half of uterus worked pretty well.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pregnancy was high-risk so I had a scheduled cesarean. I ended up having an emergency cesarean during which my blood pressure plummeted. Even if I wasn't high-risk I would have wanted all the modern medical equipment and doctors close by, just in case.

So, yeah, hospital birth all the way.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I chose that I haven't had either but don't want a home birth. I'm just so worried that something might go wrong. I would feel much more comfortable at the hospital. Although, they do have "home birthing" centers that are more like hotels around here. I would think about that.
Same here..

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm considered to be in a high risk cat. so when we do get pregnant and have children- it will definitely be in a hospital under a doctors close watch. Hopefully we won't have any problems when that time comes
I would feel much more comfortable in a hopsital knowing that if something goes wrong- my doctors and their staff are right there to help me and the baby.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

Ok, I put that I had a home birth and hospital birth. It actually was a birthing center birth and a hospital birth. So it is not exactly the same as being at home. I was too freaked to be at home since it would have been 40 min. drive to the nearest hospital if something went wrong. I have had three children: 1st was in hospital but all natural, 2nd was in birthing center and a water birth (and of course all natural) and my 3rd was in a hospital with an epidural.
It took you until your 3rd child to get an epidural?
I'm kidding

I had both my boys in the hospital. I wouldn't have it any other way either.
The hospital I had them at is attached to an All Children's Hospital so if anything went wrong, it would take less then 60 seconds to get them there!

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's just because I was raised by a medical professional, but I wouldn't have it any other way than in a hospital, surrounded by competent staff who respect my rights and wishes. I had an induced, uncomplicated hospital birth, w/an epidural which I probably could have passed on with a little more preparation, but I still believe a hospital is for me.

I had a schoolmate of mine who attempted a home water birth, but there were several complications, and due to her distance from a skilled medical facility those complications threatened her son's life. He was transported 35 miles to the hospital, and then airlifted more than a day's drive away, where he remained for over 2 months. he survived (he's almost 15 now), with some minor cognitive delays, but that sealed it for me. I want the pros close at hand!!!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had hospital births. With my 1st, about 30 minutes after he was born I started hemoragging severely. If I had not been at the hospital I may have died.

A good friend of mine had a home birth. Complications arose. She ended up in a coma for 1 month after the birth.

I would rather be safe then sorry. Most hospital have birthing centres that have a very home like feel. You can feel comfortable and have safety at the same time. You can choose not to have any drugs. My friend had a natural child birth at the hospital. She didn't take any drugs during delivery and her mind was at ease that if anything happened, doctors were there and available. Some hospitals even allow midwives to deliver. Our you can have a doula (birthing assitant) with you to help you through labour.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hrmn... my option isn't up there - I've had a hospital birth and I would have preferred to have had a home birth if it had been possible. My top choice however, would actually be a water birth - home or hospital, but the facilities simply weren't available for me at all

My son was born in the middle of the night and delivered by a midwife. It was quiet and comfortable with just me, my midwife and of course my son's father. Not that he was much use seeing as he was sitting sobbing in the corner of the room
I would definitely prefer that kind of scenario again over being laid on my back in a brightly lit room FULL of people and machines!
I had no drugs during the delivery and it was nice to have a midwife who'd actually had kids of her own and so was willing to let me get up and move around and change positions as much as I liked. There are a lot of medical professionals where I come from who don't respect that.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shoot... I ckicked the wrong one! I've never had a baby but I really like the idea of a home birth providing I have no complications. Actually, I'm really intrigued by water births. Of course, it all depends on what available to me and what my insurance will cover or how much our savings DH is willing to spend on pregnancy & delivery. I think we both feel it's probably better to save it for after the baby is born though. (Oh, and I accidentally voted for: I haven't had either.. but I do want Hospital Birth.)

Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

2nd was in birthing center and a water birth (and of course all natural)
How was it?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this should be something that is openly discussed between the women and her doctor. There are some obvious reasons that a woman should have a baby in a hospital if she is high risk. However, if she isn't and every thing appears to be going well I don't see why she shouldn't have her child at home.

I would also like to point out that it's illegal to have a baby at home in Ohio. So when my SIL did it she had to say she went into labor at home and couldn't make it to the hospital on time when she had no intention of going. I'd also like to ask what cop in his right mind is going to arrest a women in labor and throw her in jail? How would he know? It's not like a woman is going to have her baby on the front lawn!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've known since I was a young teenager that I wanted to have a homebirth, if I were ever to have children. It's safer, less stressful, and much more relaxed for everyone involved. Look at the data, you know?

I at one point was going to go to school to be a nurse-midwife, and I still may go back for that in the future. I also attended doula certification, but could never find the three births that I needed to get certified, so I'm not a doula. But I would love to be.

IMO, hospitals are for sick people, and birthing women aren't sick. Of course, women who're high risk (I think too many women are labeled that these days, but I digress) should be in the hospital, but normal, healthy women can birth at home and be healthier and safer.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't had either since I don't have any kids yet... But I think I'd be too scared to do it without a doctor around just in case something went wrong.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

It took you until your 3rd child to get an epidural?
I'm kidding

I had both my boys in the hospital. I wouldn't have it any other way either.
The hospital I had them at is attached to an All Children's Hospital so if anything went wrong, it would take less then 60 seconds to get them there!
Actually, yes it did.
I HATE, HATE, HATE needles...scared to death of them. So even with the "going to die" pain of natural childbirth it took me two times to get over the fear of the needle and have an epidural.
Then of course when I finally do it, the dumb guy had to re-do it three times, broke a blood vessel and didn't bother to make sure I was numb before starting. I am a quiet laborer...I do not make a peep no matter how much pain I am in but I was in tears while that idiot was trying to put the epi. in my back. My hubby was ready to punch the guy...even the nurse was irate at him.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont get it, alot of you say that its safer to have the child at home, but excuse me, what if your childs head is too big for the "hole" and it rips very badly that you bleed to the point you have so much loss you need to have further medical Treatment. Who is going to have all the clean materials to sew you back up, and to snip your babies umbellical cord. (yes i know the midwife) but what if there are complications during birth even though the doctor gave you the all go that you are healthy, what if the baby stops breathing during birth and there are so many what ifs.

Personally i dont want to have it in my home, I dont want my partner cleaning up after my blood.

In such a state, especially if you live in an apartment, i wouldnt want to bother my neighbours with the screaming from the pain, because surely id have the police at my doorstep with all the groaning and swearing.

I had a terrible pregnancy because it was ectopic and with that pain wih such a small embryo, i dont think i would ever feel safe having a homebirth

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I dont get it, alot of you say that its safer to have the child at home, but excuse me, what if your childs head is too big for the "hole" and it rips very badly that you bleed to the point you have so much loss you need to have further medical Treatment. Who is going to have all the clean materials to sew you back up, and to snip your babies umbellical cord. (yes i know the midwife) but what if there are complications during birth even though the doctor gave you the all go that you are healthy, what if the baby stops breathing during birth and there are so many what ifs.
Actually, most midwives/nurse practitioners are qualified to perform an episiotomy and the sutures the must follow. There's also evidence that the risk of infection is much lower in homes than hospitals