TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Weather Channel Suing Al Gore
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weather Channel Suing Al Gore

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
http://www.businessandmedia.org/arti...303175301.aspx

Yup, the founder of the Weather Channel feels that meteorology has lost its way since the introduction of global warming. He's suing Mr. Gore to expose the fraud and that there isn't a need for the growing alarmism.

Heidi Cullen, for the Weather Channel, blogged that anyone who believes that the warming is "just the weather" rather than human activity should have their meteorology license revoked.

So which side are you for?
post #2 of 28
I'm on the fence about global warming. We have been keeping records since the late 1800's (I think). This may be a normal changes in Earth weather patterns. But I do know we are not helping things. We need clean energy sources and a cleaner way to use the energy sources we currently are using.
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgess View Post
I'm on the fence about global warming. We have been keeping records since the late 1800's (I think). This may be a normal changes in Earth weather patterns. But I do know we are not helping things. We need clean energy sources and a cleaner way to use the energy sources we currently are using.

Holy cow! We agree on something - and something as big as Global Warming!



Honestly, I do agree with you. Yes, there are a lot of scientists who do support the theory (and it is just a theory, regardless of how many times you hear it referred to as "fact" - there is simply no way to prove it and there is no "control" to prove or disprove the theory). There are also a lot who don't agree with the theory that man is the primary force behind the global climate change.

I actually just read an opinion piece that was talking about how this past year actually was between 0.45 - 0.75 degree decrease in global temperature.


http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature...ticle10866.htm
Quote:
Over the past year, anecdotal evidence for a cooling planet has exploded. China has its coldest winter in 100 years. Baghdad sees its first snow in all recorded history. North America has the most snowcover in 50 years, with places like Wisconsin the highest since record-keeping began. Record levels of Antarctic sea ice, record cold in Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Greece, South Africa, Greenland, Argentina, Chile -- the list goes on and on.

No more than anecdotal evidence, to be sure. But now, that evidence has been supplanted by hard scientific fact. All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously.

That may be an anomaly, or it may be the emerging trend. No one knows. Or maybe it's just Mother Earth's (or God's or whatever supreme being you believe in) just telling us to stop being so arrogant and thinking we can predict the future.
post #4 of 28
all they have to do is post the data from 1998 to now.
and al gore will be in trouble
post #5 of 28
Just to nitpick. It says he advocates suing him, not that he actually is.

There isn't much case to be made for a difference on opinion.

There is a consensus among meteorologists and climatologists on global warming. Sorta like evolution, there's only debate among the general population.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Just to nitpick. It says he advocates suing him, not that he actually is.

There isn't much case to be made for a difference on opinion.

There is a consensus among meteorologists and climatologists on global warming. Sorta like evolution, there's only debate among the general population.

no there is not a consensus, and many of the same people that where yelling about global warming are now changing there minds.

here is just one link for you http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...eReport#report
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
no there is not a consensus, and many of the same people that where yelling about global warming are now changing there minds.

here is just one link for you http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...eReport#report
Yes. There is. Politicized reports from a United States senate are not the best place to find any kind of scientific... anything.

Try the EPA. http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/sci...knowledge.html
Or the National Geopgraphic http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l_warming.html from 2004

Or the UN's report about the Kyoto Protocol
http://unfccc.int/kyoto_protocol/items/2830.php
Quote:
The Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), launched in the course of 2007, put an end to that discussion. Prepared by scientists from all over the world, it placed the reality of human-induced climate change beyond any doubt.
America's insistence that it isn't certain is created in part by our oil companies, who spend millions on guerilla marketing on the subject. The "debate" just isn't real.

Of course, there are subtopics to be debated, such as how extreme, how fast, what can be done, how to do it, etc. But to deny that humans are negatively affecting the climate after doing a bit of research borders on delusional, at the very least wishful thinking.
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Sorry for the "Suing" title...Yahoo! News had it stated that way.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
all they have to do is post the data from 1998 to now.
and al gore will be in trouble
He be in bigger trouble if we go back to the 70s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Just to nitpick. It says he advocates suing him, not that he actually is.

There isn't much case to be made for a difference on opinion.

There is a consensus among meteorologists and climatologists on global warming. Sorta like evolution, there's only debate among the general population.
No, not really.

Quote:
Are the scientists and economists who ask these questions just a fringe group, outside the scientific mainstream? Not at all. A 2003 survey of 530 climate scientists in 27 countries, conducted by Dennis Bray and Hans von Storch at the GKSS Institute of Coastal Research in Germany, found
  • 82 percent said global warming is happening, but only
  • 56 percent said it’s mostly the result of human causes, and only
  • 35 percent said models can accurately predict future climate conditions.
http://www.heartland.org/NewYork08/newyork08.cfm

In an open letterto open Kyoto to debate to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, 60 scientists from Canada argued against the current "consensus". http://www.financialpost.com/story.h...e-4db87559d605

More and more there are scientists coming out against this so called consensus as more data is being processed. There is a dispute, and it's not just by Rush Limbaugh. The dispute isn't so much about whether or not change is occurring - it is. The dispute isn't about whether we humans should be nicer to the planet and come up with better, more efficient and cleaner energy sources - we should. The dispute is about whether the reaction is alarmist, and if us humans really have that much to do with the climate change or if it is a cycle of warming that would have happened with or without us here.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Yes. There is. Politicized reports from a United States senate are not the best place to find any kind of scientific... anything.
Of course, there are subtopics to be debated, such as how extreme, how fast, what can be done, how to do it, etc. But to deny that humans are negatively affecting the climate after doing a bit of research borders on delusional, at the very least wishful thinking.

sure i can see where you would rule, other climate people cause they dont match what al gore thanks

not going to deny that humans have had a negtive impact. But to put my faith in the bad research of the al gores people is even more foolish.
All they h ave to do is prove there math. Which they can not.

People are jsut going to have to accept they failed, with the idea of man made gobal warming. its nothing but hype and fear tatics.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
sure i can see where you would rule, other climate people cause they dont match what al gore thanks

not going to deny that humans have had a negtive impact. But to put my faith in the bad research of the al gores people is even more foolish.
All they h ave to do is prove there math. Which they can not.

People are jsut going to have to accept they failed, with the idea of man made gobal warming. its nothing but hype and fear tatics.
Ya know Bruce, you're post got me thinking. Does anyone suppose that "Human Instigated Global Warming" may just be a form of denial by world leaders? That by telling themselves (and their people) that Global warming is man made, is in a way stoking their hopes that man can also stop it...instead of facing the possible reality that it's way, way out of their hands? No politician wants to confess that anything, including Mother Earth, is out of their control?

Just a thought!
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Ya know Bruce, you're post got me thinking. Does anyone suppose that "Human Instigated Global Warming" may just be a form of denial by world leaders? That by telling themselves (and their people) that Global warming is man made, is in a way stoking their hopes that man can also stop it...instead of facing the possible reality that it's way, way out of their hands? No politician wants to confess that anything, including Mother Earth, is out of their control?

Just a thought!
dont know, What i do know, is there are alot of facts, pointing toward other reasons. But with the hype going on,
those facts are getting ingored. Fear is being used by the media just like they did in 70's with "the coming ice age"
The only real difference here is, that gobal warming has become big business.

as i have been saying for over a year here, man may have made the warming period worse. But he is not the casue of it. Now, if they want to do these things to clean up earth i am for it.
post #14 of 28
Lol. This is funny. All of those people who've had their knickers in a knot about him for so long will finally get to do a little `nyah nyah told you so' dance of victory. I'm sure it will be very satisfying for you all.

The rest of us will just go about our business and get on with doing our bit to help save the planet.
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
B said that John Coleman is just mad because he was shoved out of TWC board and is now doing the weather for a channel out in CA (I haven't looked to see if this is true yet). So he wants to sue Gore to spite TWC.

I don't mind recycling and such in an effort to save the planet...I'm just wishing that it didn't cost so much! I still feel guilt everytime I throw an aluminum can away...
post #16 of 28
Do you have to pay to recycle?? Goodness! That's absurd. It should be a local council initiative. Here we are provided with separate recycle bins that are collected along with our regular garbage. It does make it considerably easier.
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
http://www.businessandmedia.org/arti...303175301.aspx

Yup, the founder of the Weather Channel feels that meteorology has lost its way since the introduction of global warming. He's suing Mr. Gore to expose the fraud and that there isn't a need for the growing alarmism.

Heidi Cullen, for the Weather Channel, blogged that anyone who believes that the warming is "just the weather" rather than human activity should have their meteorology license revoked.

So which side are you for?
An important point: The founder is suing, not the Weather Channel. He's pretty unhappy with the channel, too, for making serious weather information into cheap entertainment. He seems to be quite the curmudgeon.

That said, actual qualified meteorologists were severely under-represented in all the big global-warming committees.
post #18 of 28
The most accurate part of that article is the last sentence: the courts are not a good place to bring out the scientific evidence.

After posting this I thought, "why Al Gore?" He feels strongly about this, has written a book, makes speeches, etc., but it is the thousands of scientists who have come to the the conclusion that global climate change is the biggest issue of our time, who are really the ones that are responsible for putting the facts together and presenting them.
post #19 of 28
Because some people and their political agenda need a scapegoat. And he's a convenient one. Honestly, sometimes by the way some people talk (not just here - particularly on another forum I'm on) you'd think he invented global warming and it's all some idea he cooked up in his head a few years ago to get attention. It's quite pathetic, really.
post #20 of 28
Well, he did invent the internet. He may have invented global warming too.

I understand your point - he didn't come up with the data, but he is the one who basically "popularized" the idea. Because he took it up as his cause, wrote a book, made a movie, won an acadamy award, went on speaking tours, etc. it became accepted by the general public. While there were others talking about it, the Average Joe wouldn't have paid a lot of attention to it if it wasn't for someone he already knew (and apparently trusted). So, if you go by the premise that the global climate change has not been scientifically linked to man, with no other explanation possible, then by that same logic, Al Gore has almost single-handedly created a worldwide panic about this possible non-issue by making it appear that the world is doomed by man-made global warming.

I'm not saying that I agree with that premise, BTW. Even if I don't necessarily believe that the climate change is caused primarily by man, I do think we need to be much kinder to Mother Earth. If a good scare gets that Average Joe to think twice about how he's living his life and what products he consumes then that is a good result. IMO it doesn't matter if humans are causing the climate change or not. We still need to clean up our collective acts.
post #21 of 28
well dont you know, that unless you agree with Al's version of gobal warming, you must not care about the earth.
post #22 of 28
You know, I'd be more convinced if they had hundreds of years of data, not just data from the 1800s. The Earth's climate has changed dramtically over the centuries that it has existed. The Ice Age, for one. How do we know we won't have an Ice Age after the Earth warms up?

Once I build my time machine, ya'll will see that I am right! Muaahahahahahahaahahah!
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky View Post
You know, I'd be more convinced if they had hundreds of years of data, not just data from the 1800s.
Be convinced, then, because there is data from a long time ago in core samples from the ice near the poles. There are also ways to know about the climate from millions of years ago from what sorts of bacteria, plants, etc we find in fossils, earth samples, underwater, etc.

We have millions of years of very sketchy climate data, but thousands of years of pretty good climate data. We can even tell how much rainfall an area got in any one year by looking at trees, including trees that were cut down to make housing by prehistoric people.

They're not just basing it on recorded meteorology.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
Holy cow! We agree on something - and something as big as Global Warming!



Honestly, I do agree with you. Yes, there are a lot of scientists who do support the theory (and it is just a theory, regardless of how many times you hear it referred to as "fact" - there is simply no way to prove it and there is no "control" to prove or disprove the theory). There are also a lot who don't agree with the theory that man is the primary force behind the global climate change.

I actually just read an opinion piece that was talking about how this past year actually was between 0.45 - 0.75 degree decrease in global temperature.


http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature...ticle10866.htm



That may be an anomaly, or it may be the emerging trend. No one knows. Or maybe it's just Mother Earth's (or God's or whatever supreme being you believe in) just telling us to stop being so arrogant and thinking we can predict the future.
I agree that man may have helped in global warming but, I think, in the end, Mother Nature will just be bestowing on us another global cycle. So, I'm in agreement, too.
post #25 of 28
Mind you it's *global climate change.*

Suing Al Gore is just crazy! He's the only one with enough money to get the word out and he did a good job of it too! Well, other than his movie being half about him
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
Mind you it's *global climate change.*

Suing Al Gore is just crazy! He's the only one with enough money to get the word out and he did a good job of it too! Well, other than his movie being half about him

lol he did a good job at scaring people with made up facts.
and a movie that was full of junk science.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/noe...nvenient-truth
post #27 of 28
Believe what you want......Enviornmental Science books aren't made by the government.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
Believe what you want......Enviornmental Science books aren't made by the government.
lol, So do those books, tell you.
did they tell you about other things warming up in this system also?

Did they tell you that , many of the same people are now changning there views?

did they tell you That the temp has gone down since 1998?

No, of coure not. Casue as i said, its now big business, and is being used as a way to Tax you.

they did the same thing in the 1970's with ice age scare.
they take a limited time frame, and then make scary stuff out of it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Weather Channel Suing Al Gore