Blood Donators! I'm so embarassed!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I went to give blood (for my second time) today, and it didn't turn out so well. I started seeing spots and getting dizy while by blood was being drawn and went out!!! It was so embarassing because they had a fan on me and two people helping me to be sure I was ok. After I was feeling better I asked her if I would faint every time (because I was really close to fainting last time too). She told me that I probably would faint every time
I forgot to mention that I HATE blood and I'm terrified of needles.

Has anyone else fainted?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you are not alone. I also cry like a kid, I don't mean to either. lol.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never fainted but I would suggest asking them to cover the needle with a towl and bring somthing to read with you next time just so your not tempted to look and evidently faint.
I have been donateing since I was 19..... so for 10 years but then again i'm not bad with needles or blood so that probably explains the not faining. Also make sure you have somthing to eat before you go. If you have an empty stomach it might along with the blood make you somewhat queezie.

Good for you, donateing! If only more people would do it.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be embarrassed. I'm sure theyre use to it. My mom is terrified of needles also and she has to have IV therapy for her Chrons Disease. She takes volume before she goes to calm her down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I have never fainted but I would suggest asking them to cover the needle with a towl and bring somthing to read with you next time just so your not tempted to look and evidently faint.
I have been donateing since I was 19..... so for 10 years but then again i'm not bad with needles or blood so that probably explains the not faining. Also make sure you have somthing to eat before you go. If you have an empty stomach it might along with the blood make you somewhat queezie.

Good for you, donateing! If only more people would do it.
Yeah, I donate because I know my blood is really really wanted. It's one of the Os, I can't remember which one. Apparently I'm a universal giver and they will be calling me....

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww -- I'm sorry that happened. I hope you are okay
When I first started reading, I though that you had given 2 times in one day.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No need to be embarrassed, it's not as though you woke up naked or anything

If you WANT to try again, make sure you eat something sugary right before you go in, are well hydrated, and you are looking elsewhere when they do the blood draw.

I also hate needles, but am too much of a scaredy cat to give blood, so good on you for giving it a go!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't feel bad - I've seen grown men go into convulsions. I was finished giving blood one time and just laying there looking around and waiting for them to OK me to get my juice and cookies
when a fellow started convulsing. A couple nurses ran to him and the fellow beside him looked over, saw the fellow convulsing and he started convulsing too.

I used to love to give blood but they won't take my blood since I had cancer.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I should re-word that!
That would make me faint FOR SURE!!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Don't feel bad - I've seen grown men go into convulsions. I was finished giving blood one time and just laying there looking around and waiting for them to OK me to get my juice and cookies
when a fellow started convulsing. A couple nurses ran to him and the fellow beside him looked over, saw the fellow convulsing and he started convulsing too.

I used to love to give blood but they won't take my blood since I had cancer.
!!!!!Oh my gosh that would be so scarey!!!! I probably would have started convulsing too if I was sitting next to him!!!

I wondered why they asked me if I had ever had cancer. I guess there is a chance it could still be in your body and transfer through blood?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Yeah, I donate because I know my blood is really really wanted. It's one of the Os, I can't remember which one. Apparently I'm a universal giver and they will be calling me....
I know what you mena I am "A negative" which is kind of rare, they are pestering me all the time for blood

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have given blood only once and I passed out three times as a result so don't feel bad at all. I actually passed out once with the needle still in me, once while they were helping me to a cot to lay down and the last time because I tried to leave too soon. I have attempted to give blood once since then but my iron was too low to allow me to donate. . . . I have been told that my low iron probably contributed to the passing out (I'm not scared of needles or anything, it was actually the blood loss that did it), is it possible that you have the same problem?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I know what you mena I am "A negative" which is kind of rare, they are pestering me all the time for blood
It sounds like that's how it's going to be for me. They gave me a card that said I could donate on apirl 30th and they would be calling me around then.
At least I know to warn the person that I WILL faint.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

She takes volume before she goes to calm her down.
I think you mean valium? Sometimes the fingers get ahead of the brain the wrong word comes out, happens to me all the time.

I'm on too many meds to donate - one is a class C drug, and I don't have enough blood to do so anyways. ...That doesn't stop them from taking vial after vial for tests though.
The pain is a bit annoying, tell them to use a smaller needle and to slightly back it out a little next time if it hurts. Don't let them use the dominate arm.
Never fainted from that - it doesn't really bother me aside from just the dislike of being poked by a needle. Funny thing, the cardiologist tried to suggest that it was a trigger for me that could cause me to faint - 8 people on shift at the time could have stated otherwise.

I've been diagnosed as having neurocardiogenic syncope(also called neurally mediated syncope or vasovagal syncope). There's two kinds, central - which is a response to an upsetting or painful stimuli and can happen even in healthy individuals and postural which can be triggered from standing up, reaching over head/lifting something over head, and heat. I'm the common form, postural.
Vanderbilt's information says that blood banks statistics show that 2 to 5% of donors will have the central response, so don't be embarrassed by it.
Another thing is to make sure your have enough blood volume to be donating.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I think you mean valium? Sometimes the fingers get ahead of the brain the wrong word comes out, happens to me all the time.

I'm on too many meds to donate - one is a class C drug, and I don't have enough blood to do so anyways. ...That doesn't stop them from taking vial after vial for tests though.
The pain is a bit annoying, tell them to use a smaller needle and to slightly back it out a little next time if it hurts. Don't let them use the dominate arm.
Never fainted from that - it doesn't really bother me aside from just the dislike of being poked by a needle. Funny thing, the cardiologist tried to suggest that it was a trigger for me that could cause me to faint - 8 people on shift at the time could have stated otherwise.

I've been diagnosed as having neurocardiogenic syncope(also called neurally mediated syncope or vasovagal syncope). There's two kinds, central - which is a response to an upsetting or painful stimuli and can happen even in healthy individuals and postural which can be triggered from standing up, reaching over head/lifting something over head, and heat. I'm the common form, postural.
Vanderbilt's information says that blood banks statistics show that 2 to 5% of donors will have the central response, so don't be embarrassed by it.
Another thing is to make sure your have enough blood volume to be donating.
How do you know if you have enough blood volume?
Why not use your dominate arm?
And I'm glad to see there is actually a reason for me fainting! I'm in the 2-5%
Yay! I'm not a baby.....or maybe I am

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never donated blood, I'm too afraid of needles! So that's awesome that you're afraid to do that!! The few times I've had to have blood taken at the doctors, I did not faint but felt like I was going to when I felt the needle go in.

A friend of mine is absolutely terrified of needles... he's a million times worse than me. He will actually faint when he sees a needle, even if it's no where near him.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your blood pressure is low or your doctor suggests blood volume is low. If you find yourself getting extremely tired and lightheaded around your period (and during) that could be a sign - similar to what many consider signs of anemia to be, including paleness.
Whether you do or do not, eating something salty, drinking a bit more water for a couple days and eating foods high in potassium will help you build that back up. You could do this before donating too.
Drinking a big cup of water or even anything with caffeine in it shortly before you get your blood pressure checked for anything is also a way to temporarily raise it.

Dominate arm = you moving it more = higher chance of it bruising or getting sore.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember - EMBARRASSMENT is getting caught stealing

So, you have nothing to feel embarrassed about. As since you intend to go back, I salute your COURAGE

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't do blood drives anymore, because they don't stock the right needles... I've had my own funky donating stories... the worst one was when they stopped at half a pint... I asked why (this was going on way longer than normal)... I half-joked that my blood must be really slow... the nurse told me it had stopped completely... erk! I guess my blood loves to clot...

I haven't donated in years... I'm A+, so pretty common... I should go back to it, but I know they'd have a heck of a time finding my veins... when I have to get blood drawn for tests, they've been known to jab me in a few places trying to find a good vein. And the only good one is in my dominant arm...

LIke the others said, eat before you go, keep hydrated, and don't look!

A.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If your blood pressure is low or your doctor suggests blood volume is low. If you find yourself getting extremely tired and lightheaded around your period (and during) that could be a sign - similar to what many consider signs of anemia to be, including paleness.
Whether you do or do not, eating something salty, drinking a bit more water for a couple days and eating foods high in potassium will help you build that back up. You could do this before donating too.
Drinking a big cup of water or even anything with caffeine in it shortly before you get your blood pressure checked for anything is also a way to temporarily raise it.

Dominate arm = you moving it more = higher chance of it bruising or getting sore.
You know...the first time I donated I was borderline being able to donate because my iron level was low (I think that's what they are testing for when they prick your finger). And this time I was only a few points above borderline.....hmmm maybe I don't have a good blood volume?

Makes sense about the dominate arm. I would have used my other arm, but it's been cramping
It does that every once in a while.