Larva in kitty's litter?

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I are living in Mancora, Peru right now which is a coastal town full of ALOT of insects. Giant flying beetles, mosquitos, flies everywhere, etc.
Anyways, a few days ago I was cleaning kittys litter and I noticed quite a few tiny little worm things (I think larva?) burrowing about in her litter. I immediately cleaned the whole things out, and put in fresh litter. Well now it's been maybe a week tops since I changed the whole thing, and today I noticed it is CRAWLING with larva. This is extremely gross, and I am presuming not so good for my kitty!
Anyways, does anyone know why this keeps happening? My kitty is an outdoor cat, and usually only does her business in the evening when she's back inside for the night. This has never happened before, and I'm worried it could somehow be related to the cat?
Also, we're hoping to get her to a vet this week as she's also due for the second dose of her vaccines, but there is NO vet in this town, and although we've been asking around, so far nobody seems to know where there IS a vet..

I'm very grossed out and worried! Please help!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They could be worms, coming from inside the cat. Only a vet can determine what kind of worms, and which medication to give (different drugs are called for depending on the type).

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like worms to me too. Do they look like white rice? If so it's probably tapeworm. Their eggs are passed through the feces and can actually wiggle about.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're in Peru, so it's late summer, right?? I'd bet you they're maggots aka fly larva. Check your bag/box of litter and make sure they aren't in there. You need to keep the litter box immaculate...clean it out as soon as your cat uses it to stop the larva from hatching. Or, dump the entire box of litter daily and refill with fresh. I think it only takes maybe, 24 hrs? for fly larvae to hatch.

Worms that come from a cat will die within a few minutes after they leave the body. And they won't hatch unless they are eaten and in a digestive track!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

You're in Peru, so it's late summer, right?? I'd bet you they're maggots aka fly larva. Check your bag/box of litter and make sure they aren't in there. You need to keep the litter box immaculate...clean it out as soon as your cat uses it to stop the larva from hatching. Or, dump the entire box of litter daily and refill with fresh. I think it only takes maybe, 24 hrs? for fly larvae to hatch.

Worms that come from a cat will die within a few minutes after they leave the body. And they won't hatch unless they are eaten and in a digestive track!
Well if the worms from a cat die after leaving the body, then it definitely isn't worms! I checked the unused litter, and everything's pretty ok in there.
It occured to me that before each of the larva incidences we'd moved her litter box outside for a few hours to do some cleaning and whatnot.. I'm pretty sure something got in when the box was outside because I've been inspecting it daily now, and it seems to be larva free!

I am still a bit worried though, since I've heard that you can get tapeworms from fleas, and unfortunatly kitty is due for some more flea medication..

Anyways, thanks for all the help! Should be getting her to a vet within the next few days..

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angryrectangle

It occured to me that before each of the larva incidences we'd moved her litter box outside for a few hours to do some cleaning and whatnot.. I'm pretty sure something got in when the box was outside because I've been inspecting it daily now, and it seems to be larva free!
That explains it!
Have a great vet visit!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's outdoors, I suspect some kind of worms - roundworms or tapeworms. Not familiar with SA insect and if you all have some different parasites the animals can get.

I hope you can find a vet soon!