Does you community (still) have air raid sirens?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few minutes ago I was sitting outside in this beautiful weather at noon and I heard the (practice) air raid sirens go off. Do you still have practice air raid sirens?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One question

What country in their right mind would bomb the middle of nowhere Canada??

Enough said

I don't think our community has ever even thought of having an air raid siren or practiceing a drill.

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Civil Defense" sirens.... actually the ones here in town are going off twice today for National Severe Weather week or something like that.

I still can't get over the fact that Indiana does their tests on the first Saturday of the month instead of the first Tuesday of the month like Illinois and Wisconsin.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard any, but I honestly don't know if there such things here in Los Angeles. If there are, I've never heard one.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Ours are used for tornados. We live in Nebraska and it is very important to us to have them!! We had a big tornado hit 1 mile away from town last april. It was a F3 and was 3/4 mile wide and blew across I-80 and stayed on the ground for 18 miles. With our house being 1 mile away from tornado we still took 8,000 worth of damage to our house from the golfball sized hail.... Thank god for our home owners insurance...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the heart of Silicon Valley. They probably send Facebook messages, or text your phone if there's any threat

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by swooshfinn

"Civil Defense" sirens.... actually the ones here in town are going off twice today for National Severe Weather week or something like that.

I still can't get over the fact that Indiana does their tests on the first Saturday of the month instead of the first Tuesday of the month like Illinois and Wisconsin.
The first one has passed and the second is to take place this evening.

And I had never heard of the siren thing until I went to Purdue. In Gary, we don't have sirens.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

One question

What country in their right mind would bomb the middle of nowhere Canada??

Enough said

I don't think our community has ever even thought of having an air raid siren or practiceing a drill.
For here too

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
they use them for tornado warning sirens here too... I absolutely hate that noise though, it's very scary

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our local WWII air raid siren is now used as an emergency siren at the Tate & Lyle sugar factory. The first time I heard it go off I didn't know this, and nearly peed myself. Now when it happens I just get a mental image of some poor bloke face down in a vat of golden syrup

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

In Canada? I don't think so!
That's one of the advantages of living in a place where it's cold and has lots of snow - nobody would invade because they wouldn't want to live here.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course we do!
With such a large city and sooo many people it's totally necessary to be prepared in the event of an emergency! Ours is normally used for tornados because we get soo many. They test it once a week at noon.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes but they are used for tornados mainly. Still test them on a regular basis.

When I first moved up here, there was one or two that went off during a tornado warning. It was scary. We all went to the basement (one room) and had to drag Keno down the steps and make her lay down with us. At the time we had 2 cats in the house - Ling and Spooky (the rex). I shoved both of them in carriers and took them down too. We had one little window were you could see everything get really black as night.

Luckily we didn't have a real tornado on our side, but I think there was a small one across the river.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe so. We have the usuall tornado sirens and then we have a really scarey one like you hear in the movies. So I'm guessing the scarey siren is the "air raid" one. They say something about "this is only a test, this siren will be used in the state of an emergencey"

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one right down the street, since this little community is outside of the city limits (but still barely claimed as "in town") we have our own siren. They haven't tested it in a few months, but likely will soon as spring is coming - not that we need spring to have tornadoes, just warm fronts followed by cold causing flip flopping temps like we've been having lately. They've also set them off for dangerously high winds.

They've also done some other tests that may very well be air raid type warnings. Due to Burns Flat having an air port that military is obviously using - fighter and larger jets fly over all the time as well as chinooks and smaller helicopters, and I think NASA may still have some stake in? this is probably not the most mundane of areas.