Purr purr/mix mix/CHOMP!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last night after I got into bed, Zane jumped up with me. He purred and mixed on me, and seemed quite happy, but then suddenly, for no apparent reason, he bit me!

I yelled BAD CAT!! and pushed him off the bed.

It has been weeks since there has been any unprovoked biting, and I thought he was over that phase.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh Zane! Maybe he just got too much lovin' and don't quite know how to handle it yet.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie does that once in awhile. Its cute to "play" under the blanket with fingers but can backfire later on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Charlie does that once in awhile. Its cute to "play" under the blanket with fingers but can backfire later on
I wasn't doing anything like that.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Last night after I got into bed, Zane jumped up with me. He purred and mixed on me, and seemed quite happy, but then suddenly, for no apparent reason, he bit me!

I yelled BAD CAT!! and pushed him off the bed.

It has been weeks since there has been any unprovoked biting, and I thought he was over that phase.
Were you petting him before he bit, or was he just laying there and suddenly attacked? If you were petting him, he probably was over stimulated. It is easy to see the signs when the lights are on (twitching tail is the main one) but at night with the lights out it's hard to tell when he's getting irritated. Sometimes too much love is too much for a kitty. The only way they know to get you to stop is to bite or scratch. If that was the case, it was just his way of showing you he has had enough and just wanted to get to sleep, because you didn't see his first warning signs.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Harry does this to me sometimes, usually when he either wants food or wants me to play with him. Either way it's annoying! He has got the hint as I tend to push him off me out of sheer self preservation and shout at him. It's a bad habit that kitties need to learn is wrong. Maybe extra play-time before bed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Were you petting him before he bit, or was he just laying there and suddenly attacked? If you were petting him, he probably was over stimulated.
The latter. And I can tell when he is overstimulated even in the dark because his purring changed timbre; it sort of starts to sound, well, the only way I can describe it is 'metallic'--it rises in pitch and becomes less of a rumble and more of a rattle. (I joke that he must be part snake. . . )