we lucked out (i hope)

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, get this, my bf has worked for the same temp agency for over a year now on the same assignment at a factory. To which we drive 45 miles one way. A couple weeks ago he asked if being there a year intitled him to vacation time. They basically laughed at him. They said that once an employee hits 1500 hours they get a weeks bonus pay, which would have been in early november. But since he hadnt went in and requested it within a month of qualifying he forfeted (sp) the check. I too worked for this company a few years ago and the never tell you these things(they ripped me off for almost 500 dollars so i walked out on them). He swares they never told him anything about it when he started, so i had him ask a couple of his buddies and they knew nothing of it either so they too lost out on the pay. I made him go in today and talk to the head guy over the division and ask, i had the intention of going over his head to the main office if this didnt work. But he walked in the office today and steve the head guy, said he had been looking for him and needed to speak with him. He told Roman that since he was such a hard worker and since he knew we had such a long drive back and forth that he would go ahead and have him a check cut for the bonus. We are supposed to get it thursday or friday. I really hope this guy keeps his word because poor roman was so upset over the whole thing he wanted to quit. I have only seen him that upset a couple times and this time he was nearly in tears. Its not like its extra money because it will all go towards bills, but still, to spend a year working for one place only to have them basicaly spit on you is crazy!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blondrebel76

steve the head guy, said he had been looking for him and needed to speak with him. He told Roman that since he was such a hard worker and since he knew we had such a long drive back and forth that he would go ahead and have him a check cut for the bonus.
They guy isn't doing it because Roman is so "nice" or such a "hard worker" or because of his "long drive". I hate to break it to you but the only reason he's getting that bonus vacation hours cheque is because it's the law and Steve knows this, and he's essentially playing "Mr. Nice Guy" so that a complaint doesn't get filed with the Labour Board! He's doing it to protect his butt, no other reason.

You don't have to ask for your vacation pay and have it forfeited if you don't request it. Sorry, but it's up to the company to automatically pay it out. They're scamming their workers! By what you said they don't tell people about it, and they don't automatically give it to them, then they give some song and dance about them having forfeited it by not requesting it.

That's against the labour laws. I suggest that he and whomever else has been ripped off by that company in that way, contact the Labour Board in your state and lodge a complaint.

What they are doing is against the law!!!! And they need to be stopped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh i know he was just making excuses. personally i think he found a way to pocket some extra money and got caught.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by blondrebel76

Oh i know he was just making excuses. personally i think he found a way to pocket some extra money and got caught.
What that company (or the boss) is doing is illegal. Roman's friends should also receive their lost monies and if not they should file a complaint with your labour board. If Roman and his buddies have all lost monies, then I'm guessing a lot of other employees have too. They NEED to be reported.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they are gonna get reported, james, romans buddy at work is making a list of names of people that qualified for the bonus based on hours/time and didnt recieve the money. This morning I gave him the number to the agency's headquarters in California, he wants to contact them first and see if it was a company thing or just the division, then he will try something else if that doesnt work. the average bonus would have been 350, that division employes around 500 temps at any given time. thats a lot of money, even if only half qualified for the bonus.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good! I'm glad they are pursuing it because it's against the law.

I wouldn't advise him contacting the head office though. He could be pegged as a poop disturber and they could find some excuse to get rid of him.

I'd tell the guys who haven't gotten their money to file a complaint directly with the labour board and have them state that they are fearful of losing their jobs because they complained.