Cats in New Home

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I am moving this weekend to a new apartment (yippee!). Seb has moved with me before and should be fine. Daphne has only lived here. Is there something I should do to make the change easier for her? I cannot afford Feliway or even herbs. I do have catnip if that is used.

Any ideas? Thanks

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, if she's well adjusted and you know your boy will settle right in - it's likely she'll follow his example. Also, once you get everything straighten out and back to a "home" type setting, familiar objects with her scent are out, she feel more secure. I suggest getting the kitty basics unpacked first, food and water dishes, cat beds, your bed.

Good luck moving. Packing and then unpacking again is a big hassle.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take her in (if at all possible) only after everything and everyone else has made the move so you don't even have to think about her being lost somewhere in the shuffle (if necessary keep her in the old bathroom while movers are going in and out). Be very sure the new place has no nooks or crannies she can crawl into and hide, be sure to prominently show her the box's new location and her food bowls, plus your bed and/or familiar places she can get to easily (higher ups if necessary).

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with taking them in after everything is moved in. I had Enzo and Leya the last time we moved. They were staying at my parents house for about a week because our apartment lease ran out before we could move into the rental house

Anyway, with everything moved in they were able to find familar things like the couch. I also had their cat tree and beds laid out. Both cats did great. They actually ran through the whole house and were playing within minutes! *Oh and Leya's blind*

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

Take her in (if at all possible) only after everything and everyone else has made the move so you don't even have to think about her being lost somewhere in the shuffle (if necessary keep her in the old bathroom while movers are going in and out). Be very sure the new place has no nooks or crannies she can crawl into and hide, be sure to prominently show her the box's new location and her food bowls, plus your bed and/or familiar places she can get to easily (higher ups if necessary).
do this and she will be fine. top advice