I got a new Pug puppy

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is adorable!

Please don't breed your pets (unless you are part of an established breeding program, or are starting a breeding program and have a mentor with years of experience, etc.). You should only breed to improve the AKC breed standard, it should not be "because my dogs are cute and I love them and want puppies", even though I'm sure you'll find the puppies great homes and require spaying/neutering. Breeding the responsible way is not something that you just jump into.

Information on Backyard Breeding:

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/reputablebreeder.html

http://home.comcast.net/~NoPuppyMill..._breeder_.html

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...ndpetshops.php

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both are very pretty, but I'm gonna second that "not breeding" - unless they both are show quality dogs and have had all pre-breeding tests for any genetic problems, you should not be breeding them cause they are cute, nice temperment, can find homes, or to make some money.

Most breeders don't sell their pups for breeding purposes. Do you have breeder's rights? Did the breeder of both of your dogs ok this? What association are they registered in? Is it marked "not for breeding" on the papers.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

He is adorable!

Please don't breed your pets (unless you are part of an established breeding program, or are starting a breeding program and have a mentor with years of experience, etc.). You should only breed to improve the AKC breed standard, it should not be "because my dogs are cute and I love them and want puppies", even though I'm sure you'll find the puppies great homes and require spaying/neutering. Breeding the responsible way is not something that you just jump into.

Thank you for saying that. I couldn't have said it better.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He is adorable!

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Both are very pretty, but I'm gonna second that "not breeding" - unless they both are show quality dogs and have had all pre-breeding tests for any genetic problems, you should not be breeding them cause they are cute, nice temperment, can find homes, or to make some money.

Most breeders don't sell their pups for breeding purposes. Do you have breeder's rights? Did the breeder of both of your dogs ok this? What association are they registered in? Is it marked "not for breeding" on the papers.
They are both very cute though!
I love Pugs, they make wonderful companions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't plan on going into this uninformed.

I will find out all I need to do first.

Sorry if some of you don't approve, but my pups will go to good homes of people I know and keep in touch with or not at all.
It would still be several months from now.

I know you mean well, but
PLEASE!! I really don't want any more negative comments.
If you don't have something nice to say, ...........

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one actually said anything negative to you. They were asking you questions about the dogs you intend to breed. The dogs should NOT be bred if they are not show quality they should only be bred to improve the breed. If you do not have breeding rights from both breeders you can get into trouble for breeding them most times it will be marked on the papers somewhere "not for breeding" meaning you would not be able to register any of the puppies you had. Pugs tend to need C-sections is this something that you can afford with out a problem? It is something that you seriously need to think about and research heavily before doing. Most breeders have you sign a contract saying that you will not breed the animals and that you will have them spayed/neutered by 6 months of age. If you signed that contract and you go against it then anything they stated in there they can do. They can fine you and take the dog away if you go against the contract that you signed. I am not saying anything negative just stating facts that you may not be thinking about!

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know that they are "show quality".

If she needs a c-section, yes, I can afford it.

There is nothing in their papers that says I cannot breed for either dog.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly hon, I don't think anyone was trying to put you down.

I just wanted to say how cute they both are!! I don't know how you can handle 2 pugs in your house...I go crazy with just one (along with 3 big dogs and 6 cats)! My Buttercup thinks she is queen of the castle and always has to be sitting beside or on top of someone...I couldn't handle 2 of them! Of course, we're still working on her training so hopefully it will improve. It's definitely NOT fun when 2 cats are sitting on your lap and here comes Buttercup saying the lap is her's (with that little snort!
) and both cats dig their claws in your lap preparing for battle!

You can see a pic of Buttercup in my siggy. She was snuggling with Gizmo at the time and I woke them up. She alternates between chasing the cats away from us, and thinking she IS a cat.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the breeder say you could not breed or have you sign a contract saying you could not breed?

My friend is a breeder and has been one for over 20 years she breeds pugs and shih-tzus. All of her breeding pugs are show quality, and come from champion bloodlines. She breeds to improve. You need to have both dogs checked as goldenkitty stated. It is a pre-breeding check-up to make sure both dogs are healthy and free from any genetic problems. If either of them have any underlying health problems either with them or in their lines that are common in pugs they should NOT be bred.

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

Did the breeder say you could not breed or have you sign a contract saying you could not breed?

My friend is a breeder and has been one for over 20 years she breeds pugs and shih-tzus. All of her breeding pugs are show quality, and come from champion bloodlines. She breeds to improve. You need to have both dogs checked as goldenkitty stated. It is a pre-breeding check-up to make sure both dogs are healthy and free from any genetic problems. If either of them have any underlying health problems either with them or in their lines that are common in pugs they should NOT be bred.
No the breeder did not say I could not/should not breed him or her when I got her last Jan. 2007.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are very cute but like everyone else said please do not breed them. I think pugs are very hard to find homes for but that's just me. I would have them spayed and neutered. I work at my local animal shelter and I am not trying to be negative but I see unwanted puppies from litters every day - sure you may think you have the best home possible for them but they could end up in a shelter. it happens.

it's better that you don't breed them in my honest opinion unless they are show quality and you do lots of research before you breed them, but still I don't think you should breed them. there are enough unwanted pups and dogs in shelters including pugs that need homes already.
kittens and cats, too.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

they are very cute but like everyone else said please do not breed them. I think pugs are very hard to find homes for but that's just me. I would have them spayed and neutered. I work at my local animal shelter and I am not trying to be negative but I see unwanted puppies from litters every day - sure you may think you have the best home possible for them but they could end up in a shelter. it happens.

it's better that you don't breed them in my honest opinion unless they are show quality and you do lots of research before you breed them, but still I don't think you should breed them. there are enough unwanted pups and dogs in shelters including pugs that need homes already.
kittens and cats, too.
And ditto what everyone else said...

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

I don't plan on going into this uninformed.

I will find out all I need to do first.

Sorry if some of you don't approve, but my pups will go to good homes of people I know and keep in touch with or not at all.
It would still be several months from now.

I know you mean well, but
PLEASE!! I really don't want any more negative comments.
If you don't have something nice to say, ...........
Nobody said anything mean. It's just not what you want to hear.

I know you were just trying to show off your beautiful new baby, but you can't be upset that people are going to ask questions about your motives for breeding. I doubt that anyone on this forum is going to support your decision to do so. I don't think any of us are anti-breeding, just anti-backyard-breeding (which is exactly what you would be doing).

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nobody said anything mean. It's just not what you want to hear.

I know you were just trying to show off your beautiful new baby, but you can't be upset that people are going to ask questions about your motives for breeding. I doubt that anyone on this forum is going to support your decision to do so. I don't think any of us are anti-breeding, just anti-backyard-breeding (which is exactly what you would be doing).
I agree 100%

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're going to breed, at least call the breeder you got the dogs from and let them know. A reputable breeder won't let you do anything considered "backyard breeding" but they will help you out in getting into proper breeding in the future if it's what you want to do

Also, you may have signed something that you didn't read entirely, or missed a part where it says the animal must be spayed or neutered... It's just that if the breeder found out, you could lose your dogs, and their puppies! Which would be really horrible.
I'm not condemning your decision at all, just want to make sure you know what you're doing =]
I personally don't approve of breeding without being registered or wanting to improve the breed... But that's because I go to the shelter and I think... there are so many unwanted animals in the world, and if someone's looking for a pet they should be going there rather than to their friend whose dog is having puppies.

Just my opinion.

They're such adorable little pugs! I've always wanted a cutie like that