Sneezing & Stuffy Nose

lovlies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oliver is finally getting over his conjunctivitus, but in the past few says he's been sneezing a lot more (including a big wet one on my face!) and his nose seems pretty stuffed up. I know it's probably related to a URI that came along with the conjunctivitus, but once again these symptoms started when his eyes started to get better. I read online that taking him into the bathroom when I take a shower can help with the congestion, but I tried to do that the other day and he was terrified so I had to let him out!

Anyway, is this worth taking him back to the vet, or should I just wait it out? Right now he's still getting the antibiotic for his eye as well as Lysine. It seems like whenever one problem stops another one appears!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say it depends on the cat. If he's eating normally and acting normal but just sneezing, you might be able to wait a few days. But if his appetite starts to suffer, I'd at least call the vet.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going through this with my girls right now.
They are on their second round of clavamox, terramycin and L-Lysine.

Piper's doing great now but Paige's eye is awful and swollen. I finally had enough because I haven't seen any improvement in her eye, it just keeps getting worse. So I bumped up their lysine from 250mg twice a day to 500 mg twice a day. I started this morning and her eye already looks much better by the time I got home from work tonight. You may want to try it..

She goes back to the vet tomorrow for her check up and eye-stain.

Keep me posted on your situation, I'll let you know how mine goes...
If you don't see some improvement I would at least call the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovlies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After I started on the Lysine I defintely noticed a huge improvement in his eyes too. I actually have 1000 MG tablets and I crush them and only give him half of that a day. So he's already up to 500 MG. As of now, they're almost completeley back to normal minus some watering and goo.

I would be relieved about everything if the sneezing, stuffy nose and raspy voice (noticed that today) didn't start as soon as the eyes got better. However he's still eating/drinking/behaving normally so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I hope that this doesn't happen to your kitties! I just want him to get 100% better!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hopefully not. of course they already had their round of sneezing and stuffiness.

mine are on the up and up, had an eye stain and no ulcers.
vet says they do, in fact, have herpes though...

glad to hear yours are doing better

to protect against anything else!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovlies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am thinking that herpes is the cause of Oliver's eye problems latley. I have just adopted him, and I'm sure he has been exposed to other kitties with Herpes, he also was a stray for awhile, from what I've been told.

I am going on vacation for a week and I'll be bringing Oliver to a friends. He eyes are almost completely better and the sneezing and other symptoms seem to have gone as away as well. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to stop by the vet tomorrow before I leave and just have them check up on his eyes before I leave...and also maybe stain for ulcers.

buckwheat49

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is cheryl and I am new to this site and don't know forsure how to post so I chose you to ask! How do I?Also i recently adopted an extreme persians and his sinuses are horrible-he has some allergies too-the breeder says-he just got off his 2nd round of antibiotic and i just want to know what i can do to help him on a daily basis!anything over the counter?he is 1.5 years old! thank you so much!

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovlies

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to stop by the vet tomorrow before I leave and just have them check up on his eyes before I leave...and also maybe stain for ulcers.
It cant hurt and the test is pretty cheap, easy and painless. If there are ulcers you'll definitely want to catch them early...

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by buckwheat49

Hi my name is cheryl and I am new to this site and don't know forsure how to post so I chose you to ask! How do I?Also i recently adopted an extreme persians and his sinuses are horrible-he has some allergies too-the breeder says-he just got off his 2nd round of antibiotic and i just want to know what i can do to help him on a daily basis!anything over the counter?he is 1.5 years old! thank you so much!
First off, welcome!

looks like you're a little lost

I'd start with the FAQ link (on the top of this page)
then stop by Cat Forums (in red on the tippy top of this page) and introduce yourself in the New Kids on the Block Forum
Then... I'd repost this in it's own thread on the Health and Nutrition Forum.

good luck!