My leap of faith and how it turned out (the Michael Buble concert)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of months ago, all I knew of Michael Buble was that he had blown the roof off the Letterman show one night with "Feelin' Good," and had made me dizzy in a restaurant once with a record called "Sway." Being unemployed, I couldn't justify buying anything so non-essential as a CD, so I just kept those memories fresh in my mind and looked forward to someday being solvent again.

When my father passed away almost a month ago now, I went into a terrible tailspin, as some of you know. It became frighteningly severe, and I realized I needed to find some way to start climbing back out of it. When I tried to think of things that made me happy, those two songs came to mind -- and it dawned on me that, since I now have highspeed internet, I might be able to find that Letterman clip on YouTube... and I did:

So... you can see how that performance could make a big impact on a person in a deep depression! And I found lots of Michael Buble clips on YouTube, including a fabulous live "Sway," and also an original called "Everything," which must be the happiest little song in the history of ever... and all this wonderful music really began to rescue me.

About a week ago, it occurred to me to wonder whether Michael Buble was touring, so I looked it up, and my gosh, he was going to be here in Dallas on March 2nd! But if I couldn't afford a CD, I sure couldn't afford a concert ticket -- and anyway, what kind of a person was I, to even think of doing something so frivolous when my father had just died?

But on another level, I thought it might be exactly the therapy I needed to survive -- probably more effective and certainly a lot cheaper than antidepressants. So I posted about my interest in going, and Duchess15 pointed me to a $150 seat that, amazingly, I got for $70 ($15 less than face price), even though the show was entirely sold out. Amazing how things happen.

So it took my last dime, but I got the ticket. At first, I was delighted -- and then I began to worry that it had been a terrible, selfish thing to do, and the guilt set in. I actually thought about reselling the ticket, because money is so tight.

On the 1st, I went to the North Texas Irish Festival, where my father and I have always gone every year to hear the music -- especially Scottish singer/songwriter Ed Miller. I kept a seat for my father, and I sang along with the songs as Papa and I always did, and afterward, Ed told me, "Your papa was listening -- I could almost see him beside you." And I hoped so hard that it was true, y'know?

It was very emotional, that hour of songs my father and I had sung together so many times. I walked out of the hall in tears, and when I stepped outside, there was a radio station van with speakers blasting their broadcast -- and the first thing I heard was the ending lines of that sweet Michael Buble song, "Everything:"

You're every song
And I sing along
'Cause you're my everything.

Okay, yes, the artist was coming to town and it made sense that the station would be playing his songs. Just a coincidence. But it sure felt like a sign from my father. A sign that he had been singing along... and maybe also a sign that he understood, and it was okay for me to go see Michael Buble.

So I did go, last night, and oh... oh, it was so right! It was joyful and silly and howling fun, sensual and racy, tender and sweet... the whole night just lifted me up and made me want to live again, y'know?

Here's how it felt: like I'd been trapped in a tiny, cramped little space for years and years, and suddenly I was released, and not only was I free, but I found out Hey, I can FLY!

This is already so long -- I won't try to describe the concert, except for just one thing I have to share. His last encore was "Song For You," that beautiful old Leon Russell song. And here in this huge concert hall packed to the rafters with thousands and thousands of people, Michael Buble walked out to the edge of the stage and sang the last chorus with no microphone. He had to really push his voice, but he did it, and it was such an intimate thing... no electronics, no amplification... just the purity of a human voice falling directly upon a human ear.

I don't know whether the beauty of that can be explained... something about truth and trust... I don't know, maybe you had to be there.

And I'm so glad I was. I might not have been, if not for the kindness and encouragement of some of the good people on this site. Thank you.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delighted to hear it all went more than well for you. You deserved that bit of happiness and your father knows that too.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like somethig you relly needed. I'm glad you had a great time.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to ask you how the concert was as I am going with my sister on the 19th this month to see him perform.

Glad that you had a good time!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You wrote about your experience so beautifully. I'm so happy you got to go to the Buble concert and that it was such a positive experience for you. As you describe the closeness you had with your dad, I'm betting he was with you every step of the way.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow - that is amazing. I am SO glad you had this experience! You made me tear up reading about it! I am just so happy for you!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How beautifully you wrote that. It brought tears to my eyes, as well. I don't know you, but I've been thinking about your post ever since I read it earlier this morning.

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a parent can be so heartbreaking.

But the power of music is amazing, isn't it? It can lift us up.

One of my favorite singers is James Taylor. The sound of his voice never ceases to make me feel good, or to lift my spirits.

Last April I came home from my job to find my apartment destroyed by fire. I had left at 10 in the morning and came back at six to that. It was shocking, to say the least. (Thank God I didn't have any animals at the time.)

The very next day, a dear friend was helping me start to clean out and go through things. We worked for awhile, I was feeling pretty numb, and he suggested going across the street for lunch at the diner. As we were sitting there, I heard the opening chords of "You've Got A Friend" coming over the speaker system. I stopped, listened, and then heard James Taylor's familiar voice. I couldn't believe it. It was so right for that particular moment. I think that really helped me make it through the day.

I'm so glad for you that you found an artist whose music you can relate to at this difficult time.

(Michael Buble is wonderful - I heartily agree!)

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carol...I am so glad you got to go!
If anyone deserves to, it was you. Sometimes even in the midst of chaos we have to find time to do little things for ourselves. It is the only way we can lift ourselves up. Just remember the good times and never give up hope. Sometimes, it's all that's left.

You will get through this and you have plenty of friends here who will help you.
You can PM me anytime.

P.S. Your post was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes out of pure happiness for you!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You wrote about your experience so beautifully. I'm so happy you got to go to the Buble concert and that it was such a positive experience for you. As you describe the closeness you had with your dad, I'm betting he was with you every step of the way.
I agree. Your post brought tears to my eyes. The way you describe this is so eloquent. Its as if I was there with you.

It doesn't matter if you spent your last cent - it was obviously worth it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm sitting here in my office with a big goofy grin on my face, trying not to let the tears flow.

Originally Posted by Kiwideus

It doesn't matter if you spent your last cent - it was obviously worth it.
Economy is not how little you spend, but how well you spend it -- you obviously spent it exceedingly well.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is ok to grieve, but it is also ok to live, really live after a loss. Your father would want, no, he would insist that you live to your fullest potential. You living to your potential allows him to live on as a cornerstone of your life!

I am so glad that the concert covered you with a healing spirit. Music is a gift, on that you and you Papa shared - he would understand how music can transform a life!

I haven't been able to be on line much, but know that I have been thinking of you and your family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It means a very great deal to me that you understand so well -- my father, the music, the reaffirmation of life... you're amazing. A lot of people would have taken one look at the length of that post and moved on. Thank you for listening.

Isabel and Catnip, bless your hearts, thank you.

Gail, I'm so glad you're going! Have a wonderful time, and come tell us all about it afterward!

Yosemite, thank you so much... I hope you're right. Except... if Papa was with me, I hope he wasn't too shocked when Michael started dancing to "YMCA"...

Sibohan and Beck, thank you both...

Nanner, I so understand... I feel the very same way about James Taylor, and about Paul Simon, too. Ever since I was a kid, those voices have been as familiar and dear as family. I surely know just what you mean about the healing power of a beloved voice.

Duchess, my friend, it wouldn't have happened without you! I'll never be able to thank you enough!

Trouts mom, yes, I think you're right -- it was supposed to happen. So many little things nudged it along, including the inexplicable generosity of that eBay seller -- a professional scalper! -- who sold me the seat for less than face price. (I left a message on his voicemail today to thank him.)

EnzoLeya, thank you -- and yes, my dear, jealous you should be!
Aside from all the complicated emotional dynamics this held for me, it was also just by golly wonderful to have an experience that made me feel like a woman again, y'know?

Kiwideus... hon, that means so much to me, especially coming from you. Thank you from 'way, 'way down deep.

Rapunzel, bless your heart... it's so good to be understood. And what a wise statement about economy! I feel like I should embroider that on something!

Adymarie, you're so kind... and I think you're right, too. Thank you so much, darlin.

Some video clips from the Dallas concert have appeared on YouTube -- the sound quality can't do it justice, but it's so neat to be able to relive it! Here's a link to "Everything," which is such a sweet little song:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9zs9zgr2f...AAD6E5&index=8

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carol, I have a feeling you got your writing talents from your dad because you express yourself so well. I also had tears in my ears after I read this.

Music is a wonderful cure, especially when it was such a special part of your relationship. And, I'm sure he was with you that night, and every night. (And, I really doubt he would have been shocked about him dancing to YMCA...heck, he may have danced along!
) I am so glad you got to enjoy this.

And, I watch that video from David Letterman, and that song is speaking to you. It's a new life. It's ok to live it. I am so happy you made the comment that you not only live it, but you could fly!! That is so true!! That is what made me almost cry....because you have gotten past the hardest part..for now. You realize now that you have a life of your own. You will still have bad days or times, but please promise me, if you start going through a bad time watch those videos or get a CD and listen to it. If you find an artist that lifts you up that much, that is worth more than any antidepressent in the world!

I am so glad you had a great time! You definitely deserve it!!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its always wonderful when people can take away so much from a simple thing like a concert of great music.

I'm sure your Dad would have been more than proud of the decision you made to go to the concert and enjoy yourself - After all, isn't it every parents wish that their children be happy?

I hope the good feelings continue for you

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carol, you have so much wisdom. You knew to follow the signs left for you. They may be coincidence to others, but they spoke to you and you listened.

So many times we miss our path because we fall to see what is being shown to us. I have no doubt your Papa was letting you know he is still with you.

Money will come and go, but the affirmation you found will stay with you forever.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carol, again, you leave me speechless. Bless you for following your heart

I saw Conway Twitty in concert when I was younger (yes, I know some people find him corny). For one number he was alone on stage, just one spotlight, and he sang alone. Just him and his wonderful voice. You could have heard a pin drop in the hall. I've always been thankful I was able to see him before he passed.

Anyway, I understand a bit what you mean. Great big hugs!