peeing on the couch

danits_24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three cats an I think i may have a problem with Simba, the oldest one.

For a very long time one of our pets is peeing on the couch. Besides three cats we also have a dog, and i think we assumed that he is the one who is doing it because our cats are coming in and out of the litter box non stop.

Yesterday we paid a visit to the vet, and I consulted him about the peeing problem and how to train my dog not to do it. Surprisingly, he told me it is very common that cats pee every where to mark their territory, and my Simba definetly doesn't like any one in his territory...

If someone is familiar with the problem, I would like to get some advice how to handle the problem.

Thanks

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO cat pee smells totally different from dog pee. But it does sound like someone is marking his/her territory. Perhaps you need a stronger enzyme cleaner for the couch and catch the guilty party. Then you can work a way to solve the problem.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did the vet check your cat for a urinary tract infection? It's a possibility when cats are peeing inappropriately.

If not definitely make sure there is no trace of cat-pee smell on your couch as your cat will continue to re-mark his territory. Our cat peed on our quilt a few times and the only way of stopping it was to get it professionally cleaned. He hasn't done it since.

If you catch your cat in the act scold him and isolate him in a room with the litter tray for 10 minutes. It worked for Harry.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

If you catch your cat in the act scold him
Not physically, mind you. Cats aren't like dogs and don't respond to physical punishment.

You're going to have to thoroughly soak the couch, possibly multiple times, with an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle, like yayi said. Otherwise the smell of urine will be detectable by all of your animals, likely influencing one or more of them to continue to treat the area like a toilet.

Like Catnip I am also curious about whether the vet's evaluation included anything about a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danits_24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you all for the advices... and I remember that the vet did say urine cats smell different from dogs urine. He didn't say it's a UTI problem, but behavioral problem.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by danits_24

thank you all for the advices... and I remember that the vet did say urine cats smell different from dogs urine. He didn't say it's a UTI problem, but behavioral problem.
yeah, that's what mine said when Chip was peeing in boxes. i wanted him checked, & said so. he didn't have a UTI, but he did have oxalate crystals... a month on a special diet, & his inappropriate peeing had stopped.