Licking

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie is grooming himself a lot latley. I seems like everytime I see him, when he's awake, he's licking himself. No digging or scratching just licking. Could this be a problem?

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only things I can think of are, has he been de-flead recently? Also is it one specific area? The reason I'm asking that is that Harry had a scratch that he kept licking and I didn't discover it until he had licked the fur off around it and it had got infected. I think it was the neighbour's cat who I though he just 'playfought' with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

The only things I can think of are, has he been de-flead recently? Also is it one specific area? The reason I'm asking that is that Harry had a scratch that he kept licking and I didn't discover it until he had licked the fur off around it and it had got infected. I think it was the neighbour's cat who I though he just 'playfought' with.
Nope, he hasn't been defleaed and he's licking all over. Just excessive grooming I guess.

pet a cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,I have a similar problem (constant licking and scratching)with Millicent,I took her to the vet for this problem the past week.

The problem was so bad she started getting scabs everywhere.The vet said she is a 'hyper groomer' and he prescribed Prednisone for her.She has been on the meds for a few days and it seems to be working.Of course she still licks,but she is just not as obsessive/compulsive about it as she used to.

Maybe your cat needs this medicine?

I should point out that she DON'T have fleas,even the vet said he could find no traces of any fleas or eggs,but he 'thought' he may have saw some flea poop but he could not be sure about it,so he 'pretty much ruled out a flea problem'.