Just saw the cardiac surgeon....

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
and.... I got the all clear!! WOOHOO! He's really happy with how everything went, and pretty confident that everything they did should last a lifetime - or at least only wear out as fast as someone with a completely healthy heart.

He wants me to start pushing myself a bit harder - walk faster, start exerting myself a bit more, and increase how much exercise I'm doing, then by the start of April, I'll be off all restrictions, and can get back to normal

I'm so so so happy! I mean really, I pretty much knew all this before, to have it confirmed is fabulous!

He said the aortic tissue they replaced was super thin and "cheese-like" consistency. Apparently this is not normal, even when it's in bad shape, it's normally thin, but not so fragile. It's just something else that makes my condition a little more interesting, and it certainly explains why when my dad died, they couldn't fix it - the tissue was probably the same consistency and too fragile to fix given that it had already started tearing and he was already losing blood. Apparently for me that had to go very slowly and pretty much treat everything like they would treat a child's, it was that fragile. I'm soooooo glad it's all fixed

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY SARAH!!

Modern medicine really is amazing. I just think it's really cool that they were able to fix something as vital and intricate as your heart.

I'm so excited for you!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Yay Sarah!

Does that mean a return to triathlons?
If I get time to train!! I'd like to do one as a team with a friend in summer - she can run and I'll swim and bike. We need to find a good distance that isn't too soon.

I can get back to the pool in a few weeks, and I can start riding again, and give slow (which is my only speed...) jogging a go.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That is wonderful news, Sarah. Soon you will be so much better and stronger.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is wonderful news Sarah.

I am really happy for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone - both for the kind messages, and being there for me throughout the whole process. It's been great to be able to vent and get sympathy when I've needed it

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Me too!! It is good to hear some fantastic news for a change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am thankful you are
going to be fine!!

Monique