Blue can't lift his head

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About a month ago our cat Blue began limping and was given Metacam by the vet to take daily. This worked ok but suddenly he is unable to lift his head up and walk around with his head down and slightly to one side. The vet gave him a painkilling injection but this has had no effect. Has anyone had this problem with their cat?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is some controversy around oral metacam. There are some claims that if a cat is prone to renal problems, that metacam can cause renal failure. My vet and many other vets deny this claim. What is happening to Blue may be completely unrelated, but I would suggest some blood work to see if there is some underlying issue. Did you find out the reason why he was limping in the first place? Could that have aggrevated another condition? And how old is Blue?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. Blue is approx 13 years old. We don't know for sure as we got him from the Blue Cross Rescue Centre. He has suffered from arthritis in his back legs during the last couple of winters so we thought that maybe he just had some in his front leg. The vet wants to put him on steriods if the metacam no longer works.

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
** update** Blue has now been admitted to hospital. The vet we saw today said that his non lifting of his head is classic symptom of low potassium levals. So we are waiting to hear from them now, the good thing is that he in and being treated and having bloods done.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad that you were able to get him in. Ask that they listen to his heart closely also. There are heart problems (cardiomyopathy) that can cause blood clots (thrombosis) that reduce the use of their back legs also. This is most typical in male cats around 8-9 years old, but can happen at any age. I doubt this is the case, but while he is there.......

Keep us posted please? I'm sending vibes that Blue heals quickly.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you got your Blue to a Vet that did a good once over and kept him. I know it is horrible to have to leave them, but it sounds like he is in good hands and need some intensive care right now.

As MomofMany said please keep us posted.

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all good vibes that are coming Blues way
The vets called last night and said all his bloods had come back norma
he was on the drip and had perked up a bit and they were going to try to offer him some food. They are doing x rays today so at the moment we are just waiting to hear from them so will keep you all updated

prettypusscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momofmany;2203704 said:
I'm glad that you were able to get him in. Ask that they listen to his heart closely also. There are heart problems (cardiomyopathy) that can cause blood clots (thrombosis) that reduce the use of their back legs also. This is most typical in male cats around 8-9 years old, but can happen at any age. I doubt this is the case, but while he is there.......

Please get them to check what Momofmany has said here as i lost george a few weeks ago from this and would hate any cat to have it , has the vet checked for a stroke i ask as the not being able to lift the head and tilted to one side can be a symptom . hope your kitty gets well soon and sending vibes for you both

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
**another update**

Blood tests came back clear so they moved onto the next step which was x rays, they x rayed his shoulders and spine and also had a look down his throat while he was out. X rays have showed nothing. So last night they blasted him with steroids. They phoned early this morning to say that he had managed to eat a whole bowl of chicken over night and that he was sitting up and taking an interest in his surroundings. He still wont lift his head up but doesnt complain when they vets lift and move his head around. We are picking him up this afternoon with his steroids and they are also keeping going with antibiotics just incase it is some freaky infection he has picked up. As it seems that he isnt in pain they think that it is something neurological eg a stroke, legion or tumour.
We can have him referred for test like spinal taps etc but i really dont think we could subject him to those sort of things and as the vet said the tests could explain the cause but it doesnt mean there will be a cure. So he is to come home and hopefully if he will eat and drink and potter around the house happily then we will keep going with the steroids.

wiltshiregirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope blue feels better soon.
And my cat has just come home from a weeks stay in the vets as she was really unsteady on her back leg and seemed to have no control over it sometimes.
They think that was neurological also,but she is fine now,with no explanation.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww...
sweet little Blue!
Many vibes for continued recovery

missk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would stop the medications, it may be making your cat sick. Not all meds are good for all cats. As my Vet says - the owner knows there cat better than anyone else. My cat was prescribed a medicine that made her very lethargic and seemed to be killing her. I stopped and the symptoms went away. Stop the medicine and see what happens. Let your vet know.

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the good vibes and advice
Blue is now home, the good thing is that he made a bee line for his food bowl and ate. He looks much perkier in himself he is purring and meowing and got himself onto his fave cushion next to the radiator. The only thing is that he has now started walking strangely on his back legs, i am wondering if this is just because he has been drugged up at the vets since Monday tea time and just needs to have a good old wander around to get things moving again. He still holds his down when walking but when sat down he is very alert and looking about ok and also washing. We have got 5 days supply of steroids and antibiotics so i suppose we just to play the waiting game and keep sending him those healing vibes

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missK

I would stop the medications, it may be making your cat sick. Not all meds are good for all cats. As my Vet says - the owner knows there cat better than anyone else. My cat was prescribed a medicine that made her very lethargic and seemed to be killing her. I stopped and the symptoms went away. Stop the medicine and see what happens. Let your vet know.
Yes he is not having the Metacam now

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update, Blue is doing very well and now looks almost as healthy as he did before. He is down to just 1 steriod tablet per day and this will be cut further in another week if he continues to improve. Thank you all for your kindness and healing vibes

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you finish with the steroid taper, please take Blue back to the vet and have followup blood work done. Sometimes Metacam can cause renal failure issues, and steroids can cause diabetes (although, usually after long term steriod use.) It certainly wouldn't hurt to have those two things checked out, and be able to stay on top of any residual problems that might (or hopefully, might not) occur as side effects from the medications. Good luck....You and Blue are both in my prayers.