Spaying a cat

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't quite sure where to put this. At what age do you get a cat fixed? I didn't think our kitty was old enough but she is starting to go into heat.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can get them spayed as soon as they are over two pounds. Generally about 3 months, give or take. Some vets refuse to spay until 5-6 months though.

They can go into heat as early as 4 months, although typically it is around the 6 month mark, give or take.

How old is your girl?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speak with your vet ... many will perform the procedure provided your cat is of a certain minimum weight. But, just like cats, vets are individuals, so you may have to call around to see who can do it. Also, get pricing because I found a lot of differences in what local vets are charging. Additionally, there might be a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your area, check with the shelters and rescues to see who they would recommend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kelicat

You can get them spayed as soon as they are over two pounds. Generally about 3 months, give or take. Some vets refuse to spay until 5-6 months though.

They can go into heat as early as 4 months, although typically it is around the 6 month mark, give or take.

How old is your girl?
Hmmm, she must be around 5 months or so, I'm not sure exactly.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO its best to get them done around 3-4 months old. Shelters get them done at about 8 weeks if they weigh at least 2 lbs.

Ling was not done till she was 5-6 months old cause she came into heat when we were to schedule her. So I waited for another month.

Charlie was neutered by his breeder at 3 or 3 1/2 months old.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO its best to get them done around 3-4 months old. Shelters get them done at about 8 weeks if they weigh at least 2 lbs.

Ling was not done till she was 5-6 months old cause she came into heat when we were to schedule her. So I waited for another month.

Charlie was neutered by his breeder at 3 or 3 1/2 months old.
So, do you have to wait until they aren't in heat any more to be able to have it done?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets will do it even in heat, you have to ask and see what they say. I had a former girl spayed in heat, she was just coming out of it but the vet was willing to do the operation.

My current cats were all done at 10 weeks by the breeder

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might be better to wait until she is no longer in heat. Many vets ~will~ spay while in heat, but the health risks are a bit higher and there may be an additional cost associated.

If the heat symptoms are driving you crazy you might want to offer your little girl a nice, cool, dimly-lit room to stay in while she is "indisposed". This solution offers you a little more peace and quiet and effectively places at least two closed doors between your girl and the hazards of the great outdoors.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, interesting. Maybe we will wait. How long does a cat stay in heat?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some last a few days and then wait weeks before another cycle. Others cycle almost continuously, with only a day or two in between.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on the cat, really, but somewhere between 3 to 7 days I would think is normal. If this is your girl's first cycle, it might be a little shorter or longer than normal.

The purpose of putting her in a cool, dimly-lit room is to mimic an inhospitable hormonal environment for estrus to occur. Cats are photo- and temperature-sensitive when it comes to estrus and respond to the longer, warmer days of Spring by coming into heat. If you mimic the longer, cooler days of winter, you can potentially reduce the severity of the symptoms and in some cats, even stop the estrus cycle.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally it was no problem waiting till she was out of heat. It was more like a "kitten" heat cause it only lasted 2-3 days, but the vet was booked up.

There was no fear of Ling getting outside by accident, so I waited.