Just a Question about Feline Leukemia.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing a catch (neuter/vaccinate) and release with the couple of ferral cats that we have in my neighborhood, and I actually brought one in to the vet to be neutered this morning. One of the things that I had them do was the test for FIV and Leukemia, and the vet tech asked what I wanted done if the cat tested positive for Leukemia. I've had the test done on other cats in the past, but no one has ever told me what happens if they do test positive, I had no idea that they recommend euthanasia if an animal tests positive for Leukemia. Luckily he ended up not testing positive, but it just made me wonder, what usually happens when they do? Do most people really just euthanize them? I understand that it is highly contagious, but if you didn't have any other kitties is it possible for one to live with leukemia until it starts to affect them? Are there medications for it?

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know people that have kept Felv positive cats together as only cats in their household.

Personally, it's very sad, but I do cat rescue, and I do euthanize pos. cats. It breaks my heart to do it, but I bring these animals into my home, and they stay here until they are adopted, and I have to keep my animals safe. Different story for FIV, though.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Leukemia is an immunodeficiency virus (much like AIDS in humans) and it is very contagious. Vets recommend euthanasia for strays and shelter cats diagnosed positive as a "lesser of the evils" in an effort to protect the rest of the colony from contracting and spreading the virus. The average life expectancy for a cat with FELV is less than 2 years, and often times they spend a great deal of that time with various infections (i.e. upper respiratory, fever, skin infections, diarrhea, seizures, gingivitis, etc.) But, saying that, there are people, though it may be hard to find, who are willing to take in FELV positive cats and foster them as long as they still have a reasonably good quality of life.

But, luckily you don't have to face these decisions right now!

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

...The average life expectancy for a cat with FELV is less than 2 years, and often times they spend a great deal of that time with various infections (i.e. upper respiratory, fever, skin infections, diarrhea, seizures, gingivitis, etc.)
Do you have a reference for this?