I have Shingles.............

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And it's painful! I was having back pain last week and I knew it wasn't musculoskeletal. This morning my SO noticed a rash on my back and I was feeling really nauseous. I drove to the doctor and she confirmed it. It's a constant soreness and it's really sensitive.

I had such a busy week now it's all on hold; I have to completely rest
It's just yet another thing in a 4 week period in which my aunt died, our car was crashed into, Harry was sick and now this. I'm probably run down with all the stress recently.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! Sorry to hear that! That herpatic pain is awful! I had Shingles about 5 years ago and between the pain and itching .....

Did the doctor explain shingles to you and that you can't give someone shingles, but you can give someone chicken pox if they haven't had it? So make sure you stay way from anyone who hasn't had chicken pox.

Did the doctor give you an antiviral? It helps with the pain, and without it that pain can remain for the rest of your life and sometimes it still will to a lesser degree. But if you catch it early enough and take an antiviral medication the pain usually goes away when the shingles do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She gave me neurontin; she said the anti-viral costs 200 euro and it's probably too late to take it now. I can call her to talk to her about it as I know her well.

As regards the itching, I was driving last night and all I could think was 'get me home so I can give my back a good scratch!!'

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sweetie I know how you feel - it's basically the herpes virus that causes chickenpox. Once you've had that, the virus stays dormant in the nerve endings until such a time as you're run down, getting sick, depressed or stressed - and it chooses that moment to spring, giving you (the very painful) shingles. I got shingles last summer and it just sucked royally
I was fortunate that my own body shook it off quickly by itself (and before my doctor could look at me properly, even though he confirmed it after seeing me post-virus). I hope you don't have too rough a time of it: take some seriously good chill out time. Get well soon!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neil had shingles a few years ago and picked up a cream at the pharmacy (no prescription).
I think it was called something like Zostrix??? I'm not sure if it contained capsicum, but seemed to help with the pain.

I also remember his rash blistered then they popped/had discharge so he wore a tshirt at night so the discharge wouldn't spread.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

And it's painful! I was having back pain last week and I knew it wasn't musculoskeletal. This morning my SO noticed a rash on my back and I was feeling really nauseous. I drove to the doctor and she confirmed it. It's a constant soreness and it's really sensitive.

I had such a busy week now it's all on hold; I have to completely rest
It's just yet another thing in a 4 week period in which my aunt died, our car was crashed into, Harry was sick and now this. I'm probably run down with all the stress recently.
Crazy my mom is getting over shingles right now as well. She got a nasty one on her forhead and 2 small ones on her face. Luckily it didnt spread anywhere else. She had to take antibiotics 5 times a day and she said it is extremely painful. Stress can cause shingles, I just found that out... That is what the doc thinks brought the shingles on with my mom. I hope you feel better soon, Im so sorry for your loss, sickness, and struggle. Try to take it easy

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hrmn... now that I think about it, if you can get it, try and find a skin cream called Emla. It has two different local anaesthetics in it that sinks through the skin to the nerves. I'm using it at the moment for finishing up my tattoo!
But might something like that provide a little relief?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I seem to remember reading that if you had a mild case of chicken pox or had the vaccine then you are prone to shingles. Don't remember exactly, though.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I seem to remember reading that if you had a mild case of chicken pox or had the vaccine then you are prone to shingles. Don't remember exactly, though.
My mom was told that during her contagious period she had to stay away from pregnant women, people going through cancer treatment, people who have never had chicken pox, and those who have had transplants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The chicken pox virus stays dormant in your system and then can be flared by stress or generally being run-down; that's what shingles is. Yup, I have to avoid those who haven't had the pox and who are immunocompromised.

I went and got the expensive drugs as I heard you can have pain for life if you don't take them. In total it should have cost 280 euro but because there is a drugs repayment scheme here I got them for 90. Not too bad but still expensive!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

The chicken pox virus stays dormant in your system and then can be flared by stress or generally being run-down; that's what shingles is. Yup, I have to avoid those who haven't had the pox and who are immunocompromised.

I went and got the expensive drugs as I heard you can have pain for life if you don't take them. In total it should have cost 280 euro but because there is a drugs repayment scheme here I got them for 90. Not too bad but still expensive!!
that they work!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I have the shingles virus too..its only cropped up once after I climbed a mountain though. I haven't overexerted myself again I guess. I was lucky only to have a small patch of it.

Anyway, I hope it goes away soon.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You CAN get a shingles vaccine now in the U.S. I'm not sure if health insurance will pay for it before age 60, since that is when it's recommended.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You CAN get a shingles vaccine now in the U.S. I'm not sure if health insurance will pay for it before age 60, since that is when it's recommended.
My mom is going to get it. Least she is checking into it!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I went and got the expensive drugs as I heard you can have pain for life if you don't take them.
Yep. And I'm glad you went back to get the medication. Even though it is expensive for a medication, it's a one time payout that could very well save you a lifetime of horrible pain.

When I had Shingles it was around my mid section and on my lower right leg. The leg didn't hurt, but the area around my mid section hurt really bad. The doctor prescribed Acyclovir and explained the importance of it. I think it was around $65.00 CAD and it wasn't covered by Blue Cross or our Provincial Health Plan, but I don't regret taking it because it did help with the pain and I wasn't left with any Post-herpetic Neuralgia.