I Did Good!

georgiagirl8

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did good this week!
The other night, I happened to look out the front door only to see a stray tabby cat sitting on the front porch. He looked nervous & skiddish, just kind of balled up in the corner of a rug at the end of the porch. I thought to myself "this shouldn't be a tough one for me" lol (I have a knack when it comes to cats)
. Luckily my cats were inside (they can be very territorial). So I just stood there for a few minutes, sweetly talking to him through the door to try to get him used to seeing & hearing me before I went out. So then I slowly walked out towards him (and it was cold out there by the way lol). He backed up but I kept talking to him. And then he kind of raised his head towards my hand and let me pet him. He was still very nervous though. So I pet him for a few minutes & talked to him. Then I opened up some cat food & put it into a tray for him & he immediately started eating. I stayed with him for a minute while he ate then I walked back inside for something & went right back to find him gone & the tray licked clean. He was obviously pretty hungry. I haven't seen him anymore since that night. I keep looking out every night to see if he's back, but so far nothing.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor guy -- I hope that he was neutered.. That's nice that you got him to trust you petting him that quick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

georgiagirl8

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hurdyburdy

Poor guy -- I hope that he was neutered.. That's nice that you got him to trust you petting him that quick.
I've actually found that is sometimes the best way to do it, depending on the situation & cat. I've tamed many cats that way. He/she can be just terrified & all it takes is one gentle touch to make a new friend.
It works for me.