I'm So Grossed Out!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We walked to a little neighborhood bistro for lunch. The waitress brought our water and took our order. The water glasses didn't seem very clear but I thought they were just scratched up because of commercial use. After we drank over half of the water, we noticed bits of stuff floating in them and food stuck on the sides of the glasses!

I told the waitress and she brought new ones that were clean, but it was so disgusting! I sure hope they weren't used 'cause we are just trying to get over the flu and don't want to get sick again! Yuck!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewww. That seems to happen a lot at restaurants around here. One of the worst things is when I unwrap the silverware from it's napkin and find old food stuck to the silverware. I've pretty much stopped eating out altogether because of some of the things I've seen!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I had something similar happen a few weeks ago.

I did complain to the manager about it and was told it's nothing serious the filter in the dishwasher just needs cleaning.

Now I can be a little outspoken at times so my response was " Wouldn't it make more sense to make sure it's cleaned then use it as an excuse when customers complain."

The manager wasn't happy with my comments but we did get a discount on the meal and a apology..although the answer to my question was a curt " I Suppose."

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont think i have mentioned this in the forum before, but professionally i am a chef. I am out of work at the moment due to our living arangements (have a chance at a new job i hope soon). But trust me, after seeing somethings i have seen in resturants you wouldnt ever want to eat out. I initially studied under a chef that would drop food on the floor and then cook it. As for the dishes thing, more then likely the dishwasher person was either in a hurry or just not paying attention to his job, either way i agree management should have been contacted. Even dirty dishes pose a health risk, they are usually put through a machine to sanatize them but if the dishes are improperly loaded or the machine isnt working jerms still servive.

The best thing you can do is check with the health inspections for each resturant before you decide to try it out. they post them online, i will post the link if i can find it. These reports must be made available to the public due to the Freedom Of Information Act. try this link, you will be amazed www.healthinspections.com

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So have you seen the reports of contamination from lemon slices in water? Very high percentage showed bacterial contamination, even coliform bacteria.

But it's still true that your own kitchen is the place you're most likely to get food poisoning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Yep, I had something similar happen a few weeks ago.

I did complain to the manager about it and was told it's nothing serious the filter in the dishwasher just needs cleaning....
That makes me feel better!

Originally Posted by Beck4582

If you think that's bad, watch this....

That doesn't make me feel better!

Originally Posted by mrblanche

...But it's still true that your own kitchen is the place you're most likely to get food poisoning.
Not my kitchen!

At least the water at the bistro didn't have fecal lemons on it.
Silver lining.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ewwwww!!!! I would be grossed out as well!!! I wouldn't even be hungry after that any more! I get grossed out easily when it comes to stuff like that!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Not my kitchen!

At least the water at the bistro didn't have fecal lemons on it.
Silver lining.
I've never seen anyone's kitchen that could pass a health department inspection. And you never will be able to, unless you have all stainless surfaces and a drain in the middle of the kitchen, just for starters.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

It just makes you wonder how clean the rest of the joint is
I spent 19 years in the bar/restaurant business (although it was several years ago). I have come to a couple of conclusions.
1) The cleanliness of the ladies room is comparable to the cleanliness of the kitchen (in most cases).
2) Its amazing that we are all not seriously ill.

BTW, the Olive Garden that I worked in was immaculate.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm proud to say that our score is 92, we had points off because of the fact that the label had come off a spray bottle of cleaner, because we need to fix the back door, and because the air conditioning needed to be repaired!

Oh, and "nonfood" contact surfaces were not clean because some flour was in the floor in front of the bakers table where bread had just been made and was in the process of being cleaned up.