I am pretty sure I will get a Sphynx this year

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Sphynx is the kind of Cat I will look for this Summer. Do they fix them before they sell them? I want it to be fixed before I get it. I always had to put my Females in the Bathroom when they got fixed for a few days because I was afraid they would get hurt. Also I heard there is a waiting list for a Sphynx. Do they get along with other Breeds of Cats?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would imagine that you can find out about the cat being altered prior to placement from the breeder's website... You can also check out the fbrl website. It lists breeders by state and breed and many of the descriptions will say whether or not the cats are altered and whether or not the breeder ships, etc.

I would imagine that the cat getting along with others would be more of an individual cat issue and not a "breed as a whole" issue. At any rate, you should tell the breeder that you want a kitten that gets along well with other cats.

Art

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most breeders now will have the kitten spayed or neutered before you get them - its included in the price. Also keep in mind you won't get a kitten younger then 3-4 months old - most breeders don't let them go till 4 months old so they have their complete set of shots.

Sphynx are very people oriented cats and do get along with most any other breed. However, because they lack fur, your cats may be a bit weirded out at first since the cat doesn't look "normal" to them. I've seen the reaction of cats to a sphynx at shows and its really funny. Charlie saw one in the ring and just kept staring at the cat the entire time trying to figure it out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last 2 Kittens I got both were 3 Months already when I got them. I bet Sasha my Russian Blue will be scared of it. I had a Manx once and she was great.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sphynx are very people oriented cats and do get along with most any other breed.
This is very true. The Sphynx I know personally, including mine, live with and love dogs a lot, from 3 pound dogs to 100 pound dogs. My cat doesn't live with another kitty but the other Sphynx I know do and they thrive on the companionship of other cats. They are very much people oriented too, and guests are greeted as old friends. They are total chow hounds, watch your food.

Good breeders will have their cats s/n before you get your new kitty. Make sure the breeding program does scan hearts and puts at least a Championship on their breeding stock.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

At any rate, you should tell the breeder that you want a kitten that gets along well with other cats.

Art
Yes, be as specific with your breeder as possible in what you want in your new kitty, every bit of information helps them make the best placement for your house and your situation.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will tell them everything. Should I tell them Oreo has Flat Chested Kitten Syndrome. She is growing out of it. She was 3 Months when I got her. Do the Breeders name the Kittens? I am bad at names. I would take a order Cat too.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think some breeders choose the registered name, while some will let you name it, that's one of the questions you'd need to ask them (maybe have a name in mind). As for "call" name (i.e. oreo, etc. what you call the cat) that is up to you.

Not sure on the flat-chested kitten...if it is not a contagious condition and was not due to neglect (by you) then I would not mention it...unless it impedes your kitten's ability to interact with the new sphynx (i.e. if he can't take rough play, etc.).
Art

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is fine with other Cats. I got her because she had fcks. It was a 2 hour drive to get her. You can not really tell she has it. The person I got her fromhad 2 Kittens with it. I said I will take one so it could have a good life. The person I got her from did post in here about it when it happened. This is the Pic i was sent when she was a Kitten. and this is her a few weeks ago Oreo and Sasha love to play with each other.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some breeders name the kittens, some let you name them. I named both of my Ocis and the breeders were/are fine with it. I also named my rex kittens. Most owners kept the ones I picked out - they liked them.

Maybe go thru some sphynx websites and look at the names to get ideas (and colors). If you want, when you know the kitten's sex and color - have a TCS contest on names - everyone likes picking out names for your new cat

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a good idea. My friend found some breeders in Calf. One was in Roseville which is less the two hours from here. I will talk to other Breeders too.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Do Sphynx cats need more attention than others, i.e., bathing regularly, kept warm, etc?
Yes. A heat source is very much appreciated, many think it is required. Everyone I know with Sphynx has lots of heated beds for them. We have 2 heated beds and several sweaters. They really lose a lot of heat and need to be kept warm, they are so warm to sleep with, they put off more heat than my 90 pound dog. They also eat more than you would think, my 6 pound cat eats a ton for her size, she is also pretty active. Their metabolism is fast and they lose heat easily so the more food the better for them. But most of the ones I know tend to be very food motivated and cannot be free fed after kittenhood, although there are a few I know that can, so I guess it depends on the cat and their environment.

Some require weekly bathing (mine does) although some can go a bit longer, say every 2 weeks all the way to a month, it just depends on your particular cat. I would say weekly is the most common. They need their ears cleaned out at least once a week due to their skin their ears get very waxy and need a good cleaning very often. I do it after the bath when she is wrapped in a towel, nails too. Most are used to the grooming rituals since the breeder has done this to them from a young age.

And they are not cats to lay around and be quiet.
They are quite playful and also demanding in their affection and demands for attention. They are very sweet, loving, and outgoing. Most get along great with cats, dogs, kids, family, and guests. Mine comes to her name and also fetches, but she is still 100% cat.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sphynx is such a beautiful cat!!!!!! They are just so awesome looking!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love them but my Sister said eww why you want one for get something else. My Friend wants one too one day.