Starting to take this show stuff seriously? How do people (specifically HHP) do it?

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took Luna to her first show in Dec 2006 and was instantly hooked. I was only able to make it to one other show mainly for financial reasons, but I was determined to plan better for the next season. However, this season I have only been to three shows and plans for probably just one more this month. So even though she will have a better ranking, she will still have a hard time making top 20, which I have wanted for her since I started this thing.

So basically I'm looking ahead to next season. I have plans (not 100% though because of costs) to attend this summer's regional, but won't have resources to attend the Annual (though I tell myself I will go to next year's for sure). But there's a few things I need to figure out if Luna is going to have a good chance next season:

1. Number of shows - How many shows does a HHP need to have a good chance at a regional/international win?

2. Costs - How do people manage to afford so many shows? I work full time, yet I can't manage to afford to go to shows every other weekend.

3. Travel - Besides mother agreeing to follow along for one show per year, I can't seem to find someone willing to come with me to a cat show. So far, I've only been to Raleigh because it isn't that far away, but going more than 2-3 hours away is a tad of an issue without a travel buddy. Not that many people I know even like cats, much less want to go to a cat show.

Basically, I've been frustrated about the whole situation. Hopefully, when those tax rebates come I can use that to fund 1-2 shows, but the rest so far will have to come out of my not so generous paychecks. Ahh, the love of cats.

P.S. I notice how some people agent other cats. I was considering if this would work out for Luna. How does that stuff work?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Starfish

I took Luna to her first show in Dec 2006 and was instantly hooked. I was only able to make it to one other show mainly for financial reasons, but I was determined to plan better for the next season. However, this season I have only been to three shows and plans for probably just one more this month. So even though she will have a better ranking, she will still have a hard time making top 20, which I have wanted for her since I started this thing.

So basically I'm looking ahead to next season. I have plans (not 100% though because of costs) to attend this summer's regional, but won't have resources to attend the Annual (though I tell myself I will go to next year's for sure). But there's a few things I need to figure out if Luna is going to have a good chance next season:

1. Number of shows - How many shows does a HHP need to have a good chance at a regional/international win?

2. Costs - How do people manage to afford so many shows? I work full time, yet I can't manage to afford to go to shows every other weekend.

3. Travel - Besides mother agreeing to follow along for one show per year, I can't seem to find someone willing to come with me to a cat show. So far, I've only been to Raleigh because it isn't that far away, but going more than 2-3 hours away is a tad of an issue without a travel buddy. Not that many people I know even like cats, much less want to go to a cat show.

Basically, I've been frustrated about the whole situation. Hopefully, when those tax rebates come I can use that to fund 1-2 shows, but the rest so far will have to come out of my not so generous paychecks. Ahh, the love of cats.

P.S. I notice how some people agent other cats. I was considering if this would work out for Luna. How does that stuff work?
1. Depends on the association. In ACFA you need a minimum of 8 rings to get a regional standing. 16 rings for national. However, the more you can show and if your cat does well, then the higher your average will be. Right now, Charlie has gone to 3 ACFA shows as an adult - finalled in 10 out of the best 16 rings - with an average of 21.6 average (according to last year's standings that puts him about 30th best in the region). He has 3 more ACFA to attend before end of the season. He's been finalling more each show, so I expect him to do very well last 3 shows and improve his average.

I would figure if your cat is finalling in at least 1/2 the rings on the weekend you stand a good chance at a decent regional/national win.

2. Most people do not go to that many shows to get an award - maybe once or twice a month. If your cat is finalling in the shows, you don't have to go to a lot. Now if you have the money and are rich, you can "campaign" your cat for the top 10 nationally, but that takes can take thousands if you are going every weekend or almost every weekend - only a few people have the money to do that

3. It helps if you have a spouse
or SO
But maybe you can try to find someone at the shows that would be in your area. Most exhibitors are "single" - the rest are married or have a partner.

4. Unless your cat is very adaptable to other people and enjoys riding/going new places, its probably not a good thing to try. I probably only had 2 cats that could deal with another person showing them. Most of my cats enjoy showing, but don't think I'd just hand them over to anyone to agent. Usually you are best friends with someone for years before you would do that. I have a few cat friends that could agent my cat if I wanted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yikes. Sounds like I will have to really work things out. Now for next season, I plan to attend the two raleigh shows, the Regional, and hopefully at least two to three others. Maybe if the Atlanta show works out well, I may go again next year. It's about a 6 hour drive.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are talking about showing TICA - Nial would probably be one of the better ones to talk to as far as regional/national - maybe pm him for more help. I don't show TICA - only CFA and ACFA

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1. I am not sure how the HHP works. But I would guess for a pedigreed it would be at least 1 show a month but probably more like 2 for a Regional win. National win you would need to go at least 3 weeks a month if not every weekend.

2. Cost - This is always one of my biggest concerns. I am very good at budgeting and somehow, for the last 2 years, I managed to budget in 8 shows a year. Notice that is not even one show a month. But I did Grand one of my cats
But that would not be enough for a Regional/National win.

I have been told a decent show cat should Grand within 4-6 shows (CFA pedigreed cats). That is a much more affordable goal if you look at it that way. I also try to choose 1 day shows within a 2-4 hr. drive. That way I don't need a hotel and can save on that cost.

3. I am very fortunate to have a husband who loves traveling and competition
Without him I highly doubt I would be doing this hobby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

1. I am not sure how the HHP works. But I would guess for a pedigreed it would be at least 1 show a month but probably more like 2 for a Regional win. National win you would need to go at least 3 weeks a month if not every weekend.

2. Cost - This is always one of my biggest concerns. I am very good at budgeting and somehow, for the last 2 years, I managed to budget in 8 shows a year. Notice that is not even one show a month. But I did Grand one of my cats
But that would not be enough for a Regional/National win.

I have been told a decent show cat should Grand within 4-6 shows (CFA pedigreed cats). That is a much more affordable goal if you look at it that way. I also try to choose 1 day shows within a 2-4 hr. drive. That way I don't need a hotel and can save on that cost.

3. I am very fortunate to have a husband who loves traveling and competition
Without him I highly doubt I would be doing this hobby.
See, it would be easier if my family didn't think I was so nuts for wanting to go to - what they think is - so many competitions. I try to explain that it takes a certain amount of shows for a cat to earn something.

Thanks for all the answers so far.

Goldenkitty - I am being lazy right now. I just hope Nial happens to visit this thread instead.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

See, it would be easier if my family didn't think I was so nuts for wanting to go
My mum recently asked how much I spend on shows, she was shocked and said all that and you only get a ribbon? To which I replied, well some shows don't have ribbons just certificates, so you win a piece of paper

It's just a hobby, some play golf, I show cats.

There isn't much travel involved over here, all my shows (2-3/month) are within a 1/2 hour.