Belly Piercing Question? *Graphic*

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ill try to be as "Clean" as Possible about this...
So about 7 month ago I got my Belly Button Pierced... the manual type paper I got said after 6 months to a Yr it should be healed Completely. Well when the 6 months mark came I felt it wasnt healed completely yet so im leaving it in for a couple more months.
I wash it with Anti Bacterial Soap every time I take a Shower and if I feel the need ill wash it other times too. Well ive notice the past couple days that a Bubble was forming around the Upper Part of the Piercing ((I think the Bottom Part is completely healed)).. Ive actually only been recently having issues with the Upper Part of my Piercing. So I thought maybe this Bubble was filling with Pus/Goo so while I was washing it today I kind of Squeezed it and a lil Goo came out ((thats normal))... then Blood started coming out. My piercing has never Bled before... so why would it start now?
Also I never really got an Infection either, Over the past Few months its only gotten a lil Goo here and there but otherwise its been fine.
Is there anything I may have done wrong? or maybe I missed? is there maybe a special thing I can Buy to help this?? or should I just keep doing everything im doing and hope it heals?

Heres a Pic of my Piercing.. to give you an Idea...

I was gonna go to the place where I got done at and ask them about it... but they Randomly Closed Down a couple months ago ((they were the only Piercing place close by)). Im gonna go wash it again cuz its still Bleeding a lil bit.. but I wanted to se if anyone here could help me with it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

Is there anything I may have done wrong? or maybe I missed?
Do you touch it regularly? Wear tight clothing - shirts or jeans?

And I thought people had to be 18 to get body piercings... this sort of problem being one of the reasons why.

Look up body piercing online, you can probably find a lot more thorough sites or even forums with information on how to care for your piercing and do's & don't's.

Personally, I'd be worried that the place suddenly shut down. Try to find out information on that, if you can. Maybe a call to the local Health Department will tell you whether they closed it or not. Either way, you may want to consider antibiotics for the infection.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ill try to be as "Clean" as Possible about this...
So about 7 month ago I got my Belly Button Pierced... the manual type paper I got said after 6 months to a Yr it should be healed Completely. Well when the 6 months mark came I felt it wasnt healed completely yet so im leaving it in for a couple more months.
I wash it with Anti Bacterial Soap every time I take a Shower and if I feel the need ill wash it other times too. Well ive notice the past couple days that a Bubble was forming around the Upper Part of the Piercing ((I think the Bottom Part is completely healed)).. Ive actually only been recently having issues with the Upper Part of my Piercing. So I thought maybe this Bubble was filling with Pus/Goo so while I was washing it today I kind of Squeezed it and a lil Goo came out ((thats normal))... then Blood started coming out. My piercing has never Bled before... so why would it start now?
Also I never really got an Infection either, Over the past Few months its only gotten a lil Goo here and there but otherwise its been fine.
Is there anything I may have done wrong? or maybe I missed? is there maybe a special thing I can Buy to help this?? or should I just keep doing everything im doing and hope it heals?

Heres a Pic of my Piercing.. to give you an Idea...

I was gonna go to the place where I got done at and ask them about it... but they Randomly Closed Down a couple months ago ((they were the only Piercing place close by)). Im gonna go wash it again cuz its still Bleeding a lil bit.. but I wanted to se if anyone here could help me with it.
When in doubt call or go by the studio that did your piercing. I had my navel done years ago and it did not look like that so I don't have a clue as to what could be wrong or how to fix it. I vote is call or go by the studio.

ETA if the studio closed down talk or go to another one.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go to your doctor and ask about this... It shouldn't be bleeding this long after you got it pierced.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The common reason these piercings do not heal or take so long is because people "play" with them and because of clothing rubbing. That is why I asked, and I suspect it's part of the problem here since she mentioned squeezing it.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

And I thought people had to be 18 to get body piercings... this sort of problem being one of the reasons why.

Look up body piercing online, you can probably find a lot more thorough sites or even forums with information on how to care for your piercing and do's & don't's.

Personally, I'd be worried that the place suddenly shut down. Try to find out information on that, if you can. Maybe the a call to the local Health Department will tell you whether they closed it or not. Either way, you may want to consider antibiotics for the infection.
I don't know about PA but here in GA I believe it said 14-15 can get any ear piercing or navel, 16-17 any ear, navel, brow or lip and maybe nose, 18 or over for anything exotic.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I don't know about PA but here in GA I believe it said 14-15 can get any ear piercing or navel, 16-17 any ear, navel, brow or lip and maybe nose, 18 or over for anything exotic.
I think here and surrounding states it's allowed with a parents permission - or less if the one doing it doesn't care.

I honestly don't believe kids should be allowed to get navel done so young, that's a lot of responsibility and slower healing than ears.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think here and surrounding states it's allowed with a parents permission - or less if the one doing it doesn't care.

I honestly don't believe kids should be allowed to get navel done so young, that's a lot of responsibility and slower healing than ears.
Well yeah I believe you have to have parental consent but there is no law that says you have to be 18 to get pierced here. That is unless its a "private" piercing or the like. I had my navel done when I was 15 and it was home done and came out fine.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got mine done when I was 17, almost 8 years ago... wow
Anyways - mine never looked like that, I would most definately contact the person that did the piercing for you, or your doctor, it looks infected.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your picture is looks like it could be a simple granuloma, a keloid, or hypertrophic scar tissue.

granuloma /gran·u·lo·ma/ (gran?u-lo´mah) pl. granulomas, granulo´mata an imprecise term for (1) any small nodular delimited aggregation of mononuclear inflammatory cells, or (2) such a collection of modified macrophages resembling epithelial cells, usually surrounded by a rim of lymphocytes.

A keloid is a type of scar which results in an overgrowth of tissue at the site of a healed skin injury. Keloids are firm, rubbery lesions or shiny, fibrous nodules, and can vary from pink to flesh-colored or red to dark brown in color. A keloid scar is benign, non-contagious, and usually accompanied by severe itchiness, sharp pains, and changes in texture. In severe cases, it can affect movement of skin. Keloids should not be confused with hypertrophic scars, which are raised scars that do not grow beyond the boundaries of the original wound and may reduce over time.

It's most likely nothing to worry about, it just looks nasty. The next time you visit the doctor, you might want to talk to him/her about having it surgically removed if it doesn't shrink on it's own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I havnt worn Jeans in a while... but I do wear Sweat Pants and PJ Pants often, I try to keep it so the pants arent touching the Piercing though and I do try to Refrain from touching it, but I occasionally forget.

You do have to be 18 without a Parent but with Parents Approval ((and they have to take you in to sign for it)) you can get it done as early as 16.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Im gonna look for a Forum.. I didnt think of that before. Ill try calling the Health Department and seeing about that too.
The next nearest Piercing Place is in Erie which is about 30+ Miles away from me so im not able to get up there.
Oh and I only Squeezed it cuz I thought maybe it would help, as leaving it so the Goo ((well I thought it was Goo)) would accumulate sounded like it could cause an Infection or something.
Its NOT infected right now... but im afraid maybe it will eventually, although everyone ive met that has gotten there Belly [Nipple and Eye] Pierced has all said it WILL get infected and thats part of the process and then it'll Heal.

EDIT:
Sorry, I talk to maybe 3 people who have gotten Belly Piercings and said it didnt get Infected at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

From your picture is looks like it could be a simple granuloma, a keloid, or hypertrophic scar tissue.

granuloma /gran·u·lo·ma/ (gran?u-lo´mah) pl. granulomas, granulo´mata an imprecise term for (1) any small nodular delimited aggregation of mononuclear inflammatory cells, or (2) such a collection of modified macrophages resembling epithelial cells, usually surrounded by a rim of lymphocytes.

A keloid is a type of scar which results in an overgrowth of tissue at the site of a healed skin injury. Keloids are firm, rubbery lesions or shiny, fibrous nodules, and can vary from pink to flesh-colored or red to dark brown in color. A keloid scar is benign, non-contagious, and usually accompanied by severe itchiness, sharp pains, and changes in texture. In severe cases, it can affect movement of skin. Keloids should not be confused with hypertrophic scars, which are raised scars that do not grow beyond the boundaries of the original wound and may reduce over time.

It's most likely nothing to worry about, it just looks nasty. The next time you visit the doctor, you might want to talk to him/her about having it surgically removed if it doesn't shrink on it's own.
Wow that was a lot to take in at once..I actually had to read it twice! lol anyway... well im trying to get to the Doctors as soon as I can ((for other reasons also)) this will obviously be added to my list of things to ask about.
It sounds more like a Keloid.. but then it also sound like a Granuloma so im not sure exactily which is wrong with my Piercing.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Its NOT infected right now... but im afraid maybe it will eventually, although everyone ive met that has gotten there Belly [Nipple and Eye] Pierced has all said it WILL get infected and thats part of the process and then it'll Heal.
To the best of my knowledge (and I have several tats and piercings) infections are not part of the healing process. I have never gotten any infection during the process an infection means something is wrong. I have never had a keloid so I have no idea if that is what it is or not but from what you said stuff oozes (btw what color) out of it would be enough to send me to a doctors office at the most and at the least a trip to a studio to find out what the heck is going on.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you need to use salt and water! antibacterial soap make me go all itchy and weird with piercings!

when i got my navel pierced bless it was.. 5 and a half years ago, they also told me to use antibacterial soap but my piercer he was absolutely wonderful reccomended me using sea salt with water and rising it three times a day!
I took his advice and my piercing healed with in 2 weeks, but kept on rinsing it twice a day for another 8 weeks just incase!

just use a cup of warm water with one tea spoon sea salt, if you dont have sea salt just use 2 and half teaspoons of table salt.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like your belly button is infected. Mine looked like that when I first got it done 6 years ago(I was 15) you need to take the ring out clean it and clean your belly button with peroxide and rubbing alcohol, put the ring back in and clean it every day with those two solutions rotate it through your belly button with CLEAN hands only always wash your hands before touching it, do not wear tight clothing and if need be put a large band aid over it to protect it...it was several months nearly a year before mine stopped getting infected. Good Luck!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ You're not supposed to take anything out till it heals, no matter where the hole is.

I forgot to mention the salt water rinsing. Just make sure not to use any with added iodine - not sure why, that's just what I've heard from a tattoo artist/piecer. You can use a little shot glass to cup it over your navel.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

you need to use salt and water! antibacterial soap make me go all itchy and weird with piercings!

when i got my navel pierced bless it was.. 5 and a half years ago, they also told me to use antibacterial soap but my piercer he was absolutely wonderful reccomended me using sea salt with water and rising it three times a day!
I took his advice and my piercing healed with in 2 weeks, but kept on rinsing it twice a day for another 8 weeks just incase!

just use a cup of warm water with one tea spoon sea salt, if you dont have sea salt just use 2 and half teaspoons of table salt.
The lady who did mine, at a local tattoo shop, gave me sea salt to use. Mixed with warm water & to rinse with that. I never used any kind of soaps to clean it, and mine healed like fawns did - in a matter of weeks, with no problems, or any infections. They told me to rinse, and don't play or mess with it, or don't remove it for 6-8 weeks.

And I've never heard of them saying that it WILL get infected & thats part of the process, that sounds weird to me