loose stool update

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so for about a week now i've been using eagle pack holistic solutions for my kittens, two of which have had loose stools for months, another that has horrible gas. well, two of them, max and millie, love the stuff and try to eat it directly off the measuring spoon and then there is sophie who eats around the stuff. there are still loose stools in the litter box, but not at many, so i'm thinking that max's must be a little better, but sophie's isn't because she avoids eating the stuff. millie's gas is better, still there, but not nearly as bad. it's hard dosing it out for the three of them, especially since max and millie both want to gobble it all up. what would happen if they got more than the recommended amount of 1/4 tsp a day?

oh, and max's coat seems shinier and softer since using the holistic solutions. is he also acting a little different, wanting to cuddle more and such.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like another good review.
My Tomas is a gasy boy and has occasional diarrhea. I have no idea what sort of junk he ate prior to me finding him - so no idea if that's messed up his gut flora. Maybe the probotics will help.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by karebearcasey

so for about a week now i've been using eagle pack holistic solutions for my kittens, two of which have had loose stools for months, another that has horrible gas. well, two of them, max and millie, love the stuff and try to eat it directly off the measuring spoon and then there is sophie who eats around the stuff. there are still loose stools in the litter box, but not at many, so i'm thinking that max's must be a little better, but sophie's isn't because she avoids eating the stuff. millie's gas is better, still there, but not nearly as bad. it's hard dosing it out for the three of them, especially since max and millie both want to gobble it all up. what would happen if they got more than the recommended amount of 1/4 tsp a day?
Giving them more than 1/4 t a day is probably OK but I wouldn't go overboard either. Eagle Pack has a nutritionalist you can email. I emailed a couple of times with questions and they responded very quickly.

Do you feed wet or dry? With wet I mix it in and so they don't know it's there. For dry, I don't try to put it on the food. Coco loves brewers yeast so I mix it with some of that and she laps it right up. The others don't like the brewers so I don't give it to them with dry. For them it's preventative only so getting with the wet only is OK. If you only feed dry maybe there is something Sophie likes that you can mix it with?

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has the same problems, I posted about him "diahrrea that wont go away". Where do you buy this stuff?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

One of my cats has the same problems, I posted about him "diahrrea that wont go away". Where do you buy this stuff?
They have a store locator on their web site www.eaglepack.com. Be sure to can any store before you go to make sure they have it. I think the locator just tells you where at least some of their product line is sold not where individual products are sold.

It's called Eagle Pack Holistic Solution. It is a combination prebiotic, probiotic and digestive enzyme supplement.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jaycee

I just took a quick look at your thread. As others have suggested you *must* first rule out parasites. That is the most obvious cause of diarrhea.

The prebiotics and probiotics in the Holistic Solution will help restore the "gut flora" as suggested by Nial (Kai Bengals). The digestive enzymes help if they are having trouble digesting carbs or proteins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm actually putting down less than it would be if they all ate it because sophie doesn't eat much anyway and the two others are pigs. they get wet and dry, i only put the stuff on the wet. maybe i'll try mixing it in. since the other two like it so much i just sprinkle it on top so it will all be eaten. i only put down two 3 oz pouches down for three kittens (see ages in my sig) and there is always a little left over. my adult cat gets his own pouch that he gobbles up but doesn't want the baby's left overs, so i end up tossing a little food everyday.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i'm actually putting down less than it would be if they all ate it because sophie doesn't eat much anyway and the two others are pigs. they get wet and dry, i only put the stuff on the wet. maybe i'll try mixing it in. since the other two like it so much i just sprinkle it on top so it will all be eaten. i only put down two 3 oz pouches down for three kittens (see ages in my sig) and there is always a little left over. my adult cat gets his own pouch that he gobbles up but doesn't want the baby's left overs, so i end up tossing a little food everyday.
I strongly recommend giving it with every with every meal. If they need the digestive enzymes, they need them every time they eat.

I'm glad you're seeing progress. Please continue to keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karebearcasey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
for the dry do i just add it to it? i have the dry in two dishes that my adult sneaks some of also. i want to make sure they are actually getting it and not one is getting it and leaving none for the rest. i've tried using three dishes but they always want what the others have and play musical dish, you know, the grass is greener arguement, lol.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

for the dry do i just add it to it? i have the dry in two dishes that my adult sneaks some of also. i want to make sure they are actually getting it and not one is getting it and leaving none for the rest. i've tried using three dishes but they always want what the others have and play musical dish, you know, the grass is greener arguement, lol.
I don't like to add it directly to the dry cuz much of it just falls off the kibbles and ends up at the bottom of the bowl. I mix it with an equal amount of brewers yeast which Coco loves. She laps it up immediately. After she finishes, I give them their dry food.

BTW - The amount they need is proportional to the amount they eat. If you throughly mix 1/4 t with 6 oz of wet, no matter how much any of them eats they will get enough of the HS. Also, Coco always eats about 1/4 c of dry and I give her 1/8 t HS (mixed with 1/8 t brewers yeast) for that amount.