Widget needs a new home.

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sir Widget of the Fuzzum Wuzzum is looking for a new home.

Widget has steadily been becoming more and more aggressive to my other cat and I do believe it's time for him to find a loving new home where he can be by himself or with a doggie companion. He just simply cannot adjust to life with another cat.

Widget is a 6 year old altered male, loves people, is just fine around dogs, but cannot be with other cats. His favorite place to sleep is either in my hair at night or between my legs. Widget is up to date on all vaccines and is clear of all medical problems.

I've owned him since he was 5 weeks old and I bottle fed him. He is a Maine Coon however he does not come with papers.

I've loved Widget for many years now, but its time he finds someone else to love him. It is just not fair for either cat to put each other thought his torment every day.

Thanks, if you or anyone you know would be interested in giving Widget a good home, please just let me know.

I am in the central NC area. I will drive and deliver him to you if your willing to take him. I love him, but he's gotta go

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor baby.
And you've had him so long!! I couldn't imagine having to give up my bottle fed baby. Many that you find him a loving forever home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone?

Perhaps someone who could foster him?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 2 cents, even though you didn't ask for it:

Aggression just doesn't "show up" like that after years. I suggest getting him vet checked, run a blood panel, do a complete exam. Try a re-introduction, Feliway, rescue remedy. I've got an aggressive kitty who was on Buspar for awhile & is now off, she can peacefully co-exist.

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

It did not just "show up." He's been hateful to Pixel since the day we got her. The problem showed itself when we introduced another cat to his domain. I'm a firm believer that since he wasn't socialized with other kittens / cats when he was a baby that he just doesn't know how to interact properly.

Also my mistake for not mentioning in my first post. We did try Rescue Remedy and Feliway. We've been actively doing both for the past 7 months. It worked well for about 3 months then slowly but surely he's become even MORE aggressive with her than he was before we started.

Trust me, we have tried all we can think of to resolve the situation.

Also he was vet checked last July before we moved to NC and the vet said he's just fine but "high strung." He also believes his behavior towards other cats is due to being taken away from his mom and siblings so young. (3-4weeks old.)

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you had him first...and he was your bottle baby, why not try finding a new home for the 'new' cat? I mean...he was there first! Poor klittle guy....if I didn't already have my three girls, I'd meet you in Asheville and bring him home with me!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Since you had him first...and he was your bottle baby, why not try finding a new home for the 'new' cat? I mean...he was there first! Poor klittle guy....
Poor guy, he didn't ask for his ome to be invaded...

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because he is not as friendly as Pixel, and we've had her for 2 years now. He's independent and that's fine but Pixel is a luv a bug and is my personal lap warmer. Also she was an xmas present from my husband to me. Since she is fine with other cats that leaves the door open to me getting another kitty in the future, if I keep Widget however, that door is closed.

I hope that makes sense.

zenoah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you need to get rid of one or the other, the shelter I voulenteer at may take him. I see you're in NC, but we had gotten pups from Kentucky, so it could be possible.
If you want the site, it's here: http://www.lrhs.net/

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Zenoah. He flies and travels very well but I'm going to give it another week here to see if I cannot place him locally. I would not want either of us to bare such a financial burden as to have to ship him.

zenoah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hear ya.
It was an option incase you happend to run out of any. I wish you luck in finding something local.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittee

Because he is not as friendly as Pixel, and we've had her for 2 years now. He's independent and that's fine but Pixel is a luv a bug and is my personal lap warmer. Also she was an xmas present from my husband to me. Since she is fine with other cats that leaves the door open to me getting another kitty in the future, if I keep Widget however, that door is closed.

I hope that makes sense.
I feel really sorry for Widget, I thought pet ownership came with responsibilities. Why would you even think of opening another door for another cat in the future, when your getting rid of Widget? Thats just not right.

The shelters are full of cats with your reasoning and it's just not fair.

If I lived in your part of the country I would give him a home with my 6 other cats.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can post notices at the vets office, and cat shelter. I think everyone here at TCS has one or more cats, so would not be an ideal choice for him. I once fostered a lovely kitty who could not get along with other cats. I talked a friend who's teen wanted to foster a cat into taking her in, and within about 6 months they were hooked and adopted her. This was a kitty who fought with my cats daily while at my house. (No damage caused on either end, just spats.) Now she lives happily with her new family, including 2 dogs.

I would also take him back to the vet and ask for sedative meds. I had a friend who's cat was given a shot of something to help her adjust to them having a child. It helped the cat for quite a while, although they did end up rehoming her with Grandma eventually! Ask about Buspar, or Prozac, anything to help you be able to keep him!

Check with friends and co-workers. And realize that the same reasons that you prefer Pixel are the reasons that make her more adoptable. As a foster Mom for many years, I can tell you that young, loving lap cats get adopted easily. And people who already have cats could probably easily blend her into their homes.

I would not want to be faced with the question of which cat to give up if I felt forced into it. Would it be Will, the sweet lovebug? Festie, who was born here, part of my first foster litter? Garfield, who sneezes fat buggers on the windows? Or Jazz, who retains many of her feral qualities? I don't know if I would be strong enough to keep Jazz, who only lets me pet her a few times a week, and who slinks away from me as if I scared her, although I'm pretty sure its more of a habit than a fear! But she would certainly be the one most difficult to rehome.

Hope this situation works out for you. In the meantime, maybe you can shut them in separate bedrooms for part of the day, to give them a break from each other. I know Garfield pesters Festie sometimes...although he loves her dearly. She loves him back, but sometimes she is SICK of his wanting to wrestle and tussle. She enjoys a time out without his nonsense!

I hope to read a happy ending soon!

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I feel really sorry for Widget, I thought pet ownership came with responsibilities. Why would you even think of opening another door for another cat in the future, when your getting rid of Widget? Thats just not right.

If I lived in your part of the country I would give him a home with my 6 other cats.
I agree whole heartedly with you abbycats!!!

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

No, It doesn't make sense!

If I lived in your part of the country I would give him a home with my 6 other cats. This is whole topic is very heartbreaking.
My apologies then. I figured it was my responsibility to try and find him a good home where he would not be subjected to drugs or punishment locked away in a side room w/o interaction with us through the day. Or a home where he would not be chased around at least once ever 2 hours with a spray bottle to break him up from biting into Pixel.

I am trying to do the right thing here. If I was irresponsible, I wouldn't have made a post here or attempted to find him another loving home...I would have dumped him on the street or dropped him off at the local "kill shelter."

No need to be rude to me when I'm trying to do the best I can with my current situation for the betterment of both cats.
Again my apologies for trying to find him a suitable home here where he would be more comfortable. I've been his "mommie" for almost 7 years now. I certainly don't need your criticism.

Beckiboo- Thank you. He is listed with the maine coon rescue site now and I have my fingers crossed, hoping for the best. I did speak to some people at my work and those who would take him, already have cats and thusly I told them he was not a good fit for them since the entire reason I need to re-home him is his cat vs cat aggression.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittee, are you positive he is aggressive with other cats? Maybe he's just jealous of your newer cat....I know my girls get ill with each other sometimes, when one gets more attention than the other. I'm not trying to diss you on your decision
...but maybe he would be OK with other cats in a different situation?? I guess what I'm saying is that maybe you could warm potential adopters that he *might* not get along with other cats, before you start telling them that he can't be with other cats....does that make sense??
That way....he may have better prospects of a new home.

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tater thanks for not blasting me for my decision.

I know he doesn't get along with Pixel. For the past 2 years it's gotten only worse and worse. For example, one moment he can lay down next to her, lick her and then WHAM bites into her HARD. She screams /yowls and runs and he chases her, pins her and bites again. Never ending cycle. It's super fun at 3am-5am.

I've only ever exposed him to Pixel so I do not know and I would be too afraid to let another person take him in with other cats and their cat get seriously hurt.