arrgghh!! worms!?!

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK Cricket justed pooped and I saw little white worms moving on his poop.
Not spaghetti type- little rice size white worms..are these tapeworms?

I do not have any idea how on earth he got these as he has been de-wormed with our vet's prescribed wormer's 3 times and even with a dose of frontline.
He has even manged to dodge the poop test free and clear three times!!!
He even got 2 doses before we took him from the shelter.

He has not had fleas since we brought him home (we got him at 3 months old).
All my other kits are fine I hope, but I just happened to be at the box when he pooped and scooped it out and saw the worms..

ACCKK!!
I am so paranoid about this!\t

Of course it happens on the weekend..I do not know if my vet will be in office tomorrow!
Please help!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like tapeworms to me. The general wormer (Panacur) that I get from my vet does not treat tapeworms, I have to get a special pill to give to them... I can't think of the name at the moment though.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It certainly sounds like tapes.

If your on good terms with your vet, and they're open tomorrow, you may be able to just call and go pick up some wormer - if you know your cat's weight. But since you have more than one it's probably best to treat them all.
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I can't think of the name at the moment though.
Drontal

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Droncit is for tapeworms as is Drontal which treats for a bunch more as well. That is what your vet will most likely give you. Your cat has tapeworms, there is a great chance it could be one of your other house cats. It only takes one little flea to sneak in and your cat ingest it while grooming and the cat just might get worms!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh crap!
thanks you guys.
I just am so freaked that he kids or I have them now!!

Are they that easy to get or is it you really have to eat the worm or flea to get them?

I just do not get how he has them and the buggers have missed 3 poop tests and all the wormers!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunfairie

Are they that easy to get or is it you really have to eat the worm or flea to get them?
Unless you and your family has been playing with kitty poo or kitty butts... I'd say you're all fine.

As already said, they're probably passing them back and forth in the litter box or from grooming each other.

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Unless you and your family has been playing with kitty poo or kitty butts... I'd say you're all fine.

nope no poop games or kitty butt things going on here..thank you for the laugh..I needed that to relieve the stress...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really just deworm them all. Maybe twice to guarantee they are gone.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Think I just found a tape segment on one of our storefront shelter cats. Already informed our coordinator - don't know if she came from a multi cat foster home. Ugh!!!

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I would really just deworm them all. Maybe twice to guarantee they are gone.
Thanks Jen -ITA-I plan on asking the vet for enough for all of them...I hope they are in tomorrow..they are really good to us