Another Stray - Is She Pregnant? Thread

quillpig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi folks,

Just wandered onto the site and registered because it seems to have a lot of good knowledge and insight.

We just adopted Zoë, an adult female. She had been taken in by a friend of a relative who thinks she was abandoned. We got her this morning, and she's settling in well.

We plan on taking her to a vet clinic at the local PetCo tomorrow morning (weather permitting, we're expecting 4-8 inches of snow tonight). We'll certainly have her scanned for a chip, but our biggest question is about that bulge in her middle.

She is not a fat cat, but she is big around the middle. I haven't poked around too much, but what I can feel is pretty firm. It isn't in the belly area, but rather about mid-way between her front and hind legs, where her ribcage ends. Her nipples do not appear enlarged or pink. And since she had been roaming free until recently, we have no idea how far along she might be.

Any ideas? Educated guesses? I'm sure the vet will tell us tomorrow (if we and they both make it), but we're very curious now.

And yes, she and any potential offspring will be neutered and spayed, as appropriate.

Thanks for any advice,

QP

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's pregnant to me. Depending on her color, you might be able to see if she has a scar from spaying. But if she is unspayed and was outside, she is most likely pregnant.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If her nipples aren't pink and enlarged, I'd say it's probably not likely that she's pregnant. That's usually one of the first signs... even before their bellies start to show. I would say that worms are more of a possibility than pregnancy. Anything is possible though, so she should definitely be checked out by the vet as soon as you can get her in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quillpig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rotobay

Depending on her color, you might be able to see if she has a scar from spaying.
If you can't see a scar from spaying, how would a vet know if she had been spayed? Obviously, pregnancy would be a sign to the contrary, but absent that? Do they ultrasound looking for sexual organs, or are there other ways?

QP