Horrible nausea

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anything I can do short of going to the ER for a something to stop it? I got some anti nausea tablets earlier, but they don't seem to help much or for very long. I've had it since 10 last night.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need to go to the ER for nausea. You can take an over the counter medication like Gravol, or drink Ginger Ale or ginger tea.

Is there any particular reason you are nauseated? Pregnant? Cross food contamination? Stomach virus?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you could always throw up.
I'm sure that's not what you want but you'd feel better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely my period.
It seems the midodrine had an odd side effect - it improved my circulation and for the first time ever I actually had cramping, bad nausea, and my whole body hurts. Can't be flu, I already had that. And the only thing I ate was my own cooking yesterday.

I couldn't find Gravol, I'm not sure if any of the stores in town would have it.

I took a tramadol a just a few minutes ago, maybe it will stop the spasms and nausea some.

Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Well you could always throw up.
I'm sure that's not what you want but you'd feel better.
Already done that a few times.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I usually sip ginger ale (through a straw to cut back on the carbonation) and nibble on slatine's when I get like that. Also, try a cold wash cloth on your neck. I hope you feel better!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Already done that a few times.
Awww, sorry. I hope you feel better. I read that taking small sips of a flat, sugary drink can settle your stomach. Do you have any Gatorade or Kool Aid?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have propel, I tried that last night with not so good results.
Already been using wash clothes.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't usually get nauseated, but when I do it's usually because I'm low on sodium. I eat a bag of potato chips and I feel better because it replenishes my sodium levels.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't usually get nauseated, but when I do it's usually because I'm low on sodium. I eat a bag of potato chips and I feel better because it replenishes my sodium levels.
I'm on a high salt diet - I regularly take salt tablets. But I know I'm very dehydrated right now as I can't tolerate more then a couple sips of water.

I sent my husband into town check at a little hole in the wall pharmacy, it may carry different stuff. Hopefully they have gravol.
Unfortunately, it really does seem to be a combination of things. The NCS is worse because I'm dehydrated and from my period, and I haven't taken any midodrine today because I'm afraid it will make the nausea worse.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dehydration can definitely make you feel nauseous, so trying to drink some water might help. Peppermint helps me when I'm feeling like that, like peppermint tea or a gum or candy with real peppermint oil in it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No luck on the gravol, but DH found something else that seems to be helping.
No teas or mint stuff around here. I think I'm going to try a glass of chicken bullion, maybe it will calm things down.
Usually I don't get nauseated either, so that's why I'm a bit at a loss what to do with this being as bad as it is.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm on a high salt diet - I regularly take salt tablets. But I know I'm very dehydrated right now as I can't tolerate more then a couple sips of water.
You might want to consider going to the ER for IV hydration. When someone gets severely dehydrated they throw up a lot. I don't think a couple sips of water will help hydrate you enough.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

You might want to consider going to the ER for IV hydration. When someone gets severely dehydrated they throw up a lot. I don't think a couple sips of water will help hydrate you enough.
I wasn't dehydrated when this started last night. I usually drink 2 liters or more of fluids a day - just not today. I'm really really hoping this is just going to be a one time thing and not a med side effect I'll have to deal with regularly.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually sit on the floor in the bathroom with a blanket around me and my head in the bath feeling sorry for myself. Do you get nausea often? If so, you can get prescription anti-nausea pills from your doctor.

When I was getting nauseous from my medication, the doctor recommended Prilosec which is for heartburn, but it neutralises the acid in your stomach which can also be causing the nausea.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Do you get nausea often? If so, you can get prescription anti-nausea pills from your doctor.
Very rarely - migraines are the only thing that has caused similar nausea and this was worse then that.

Good news, Emetrol and then drinking some chicken bullion worked.
I was able to eat a piece of dry toast earlier... but don't think my stomach is ready for much else yet.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest Emetrol because that is what the doctor recommended for my mom when she was getting nauseated from chemo. And, honestly, that worked better for her than the prescription the doctor gave her.

I'm so glad you are feeling a little better and able to eat something. That is a good sign.

For future situations, the only think (besides Emetrol) that works with my husband when he starts getting nauseated, is to drink jello that hasn't set up yet. Make it the way you usually would, but pour it in a glass instead of putting it in the fridge. I don't know if the geletin in it coats the stomach or what, but it usually takes away the sick feeling. His family has used it for years to settle stomachs and it does work.

Hope you get to feeling better soon! There are so many things going around that are just nasty.