Nemo very protective

cpdillon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the kittens are now 2 days old. They are gaining weight, each have gained between 1-2oz. I have been picking the kittens up at least once a day to get them used to people. I only hold them for a couple of minutes cause it seems to really both Nemo when all her babies aren't with her. Today I picked them up one by one to try and sex the kittens (pretty sure there are 2 boys and a girl) and Nemo actually took one right out of my hands. My question is this.....since it seems to bother Nemo so much should I not handle the kittens at all or should I continue to pick them up so that both kitten and Nemo adjust????

Here are some more pics.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cpdillon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry the second picture is so big......for some reason, i can't seem to edit the post to make it smaller.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still handle them but maybe sit on the floor so when you pick them up it's not so far from the ground. Maybe that will help Nemo to not be so nervous.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice on the kittens...I've never had a cat who had kittens.
I just wanted to say that they are adorable and so is Nemo

catwoman_2669

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
suzy is the same way. when i pick one up she wont go back in her box untill i put all the babys back in her box. just keep picking them up she will get used to it.
by the way your kittens are just to cute.

tia's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best socialized kittens are the ones that are held daily. Momma will definately object but as long as you don't take them too far away it will be O.K. I weigh my kittens everyday and stroke them a few times as I sit beside momma's bed. She will probably try and move them after a few days they almost always do but it doesn't matter if you handle them or not she will still do this. They are beautiful kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cpdillon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tia's Mom

The best socialized kittens are the ones that are held daily. Momma will definately object but as long as you don't take them too far away it will be O.K. I weigh my kittens everyday and stroke them a few times as I sit beside momma's bed. She will probably try and move them after a few days they almost always do but it doesn't matter if you handle them or not she will still do this. They are beautiful kittens.
What do you mean she will try and move them? Is she going to try and find a spot other then the one I made for her? Am I going to wake up one morning and not be able to find the kittens?

catwoman_2669

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not all cats will move their kittens. some cats will if they think their kittens are not safe at this spot anymore. i would wait if she moves them and then move her to a room where she has no options but to leave them in her box.

prettypusscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cpdillon

What do you mean she will try and move them? Is she going to try and find a spot other then the one I made for her? Am I going to wake up one morning and not be able to find the kittens?
when 2 of my cats (they are sisters) had litters 2 days apart they moved them there was one cat in my wardrobe and one in my husbands we used to lay in bed at night watching as one mum sneaked into the others grabbed a kitten and ran back to her own bed with it she would go back for another it was so funny watching the kitty swinging in her mouth as she ran back to her bed her sister would then go and pinch some kittens back, they then decided to move all the kittens under the bed and shared them , i wouldnt worry if she moves them you will find them just follow her when she goes back to them after being fed or toilet .
nemo and her kittens are beautiful

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats do move their kittens, but only if they feel that their kittens are being threatened or that the "nest" isn't clean enough. I've never had a momma move their kittens yet.