Protective or...Selfish?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My coworker asked to borrow my car today at lunch...and I told her the truth that I am not comfortable with lending my car out... that includes anyone. I just DON'T like lending it out. I am very protective of my car.

I believe that people do not drive other people's vehicles as if they were their own and they are likely to not respect my vehicle the way I do.

This sounds silly I know..but with an older car, its all about repair bills, and I would never know if something someone else did in my car has caused something to breakdown.

Anyway, is this ridiculous? Is it selfish? I feel kind of bad for not letting her take it. If it was an emergency I would...but she is just getting her eyebrows waxed...

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's smart in my book. DH is the sameway. If anything happens your liable so why lend it out.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I agree with you. When you lend your car out, you are still responsible for it if something happens. And your insurance may not cover the other driver.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ONLY person allowed to borrow my car is my husband! And occasionally my family if there's no other option. I used to be a very generous person and would let my friend use my car if they needed to. Well, a few bad apples spoiled the bunch. Particularly one "friend" who left it unlocked in front of his house. He was only gonna be a few minutes... well, it was broken into and all of MY stuff was stolen. Same said friend got a second chance and spilled an Arizona can of ice tea on the floor in back... you know, one of the GIANT 16oz. cans! Ya, after that I don't lend my car to people but if I'm available I'll happily drive them somewhere.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I try to avoid letting anyone drive my car but I'll allow family members if absolutely necessary. I'd NEVER let a random work colleague or friend take my car. There are too many bad drivers out there on the road.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

My coworker asked to borrow my car today at lunch...and I told her the truth that I am not comfortable with lending my car out... that includes anyone. I just DON'T like lending it out. I am very protective of my car.

I believe that people do not drive other people's vehicles as if they were their own and they are likely to not respect my vehicle the way I do.

This sounds silly I know..but with an older car, its all about repair bills, and I would never know if something someone else did in my car has caused something to breakdown.

Anyway, is this ridiculous? Is it selfish? I feel kind of bad for not letting her take it. If it was an emergency I would...but she is just getting her eyebrows waxed...
I think you're right for not lending it out!!!

The other day my boss's partner asked to borrow my new car because he locked his keys in his house and needed to go get his wife's keys.
I told him "Sorry but I can't let anyone drive it. I'm the only one on the insurance"
He actually argued with me for like 10 mins saying he wouldn't wreck it and he has full coverage. I told him no again but I would be happy to drive him where he needed to go

He was mad but oh well.
I AM protective over my car!!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus, lending someon eyou CAR isn't like lending them $5 or even the use of your cell phone... it's a car!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A car is an expensive item to lend out! If she were in an accident would she have forked over the deductable for the insurance? What about a possible parking ticket or other infraction against the car like running a red light? Most people don't think about that.

I don't think you were selfish at all. At least this way you don't have to worry about someone else getting into an accident, or getting a partking ticket that you find out after the fact only to have the person deny it having happened.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's your car and it's up to you what you do with it! I wouldn't lend a coworker my car.

We let a good friend borrow our car while we were in Australia for 3 weeks because theirs had just died. Anyone we give permission to drive our car is covered under our insurance, so I'm happy to let anyone I know really well, and know would pay for any damage borrow the car if needed. I wouldn't let them borrow it just for a beauticians appointment though... Your coworker should have figured out how to get there before she made the appointment.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand the people who really think it's ok to just up and ask to borrow someone else's car! Immediate family, I can understand them asking, but a coworker? NO WAY!

I guess it just seems a bit...presumptuous. Next time she asks, ask her if you could borrow her first born.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you - in an emergency you do it; otherwise no.

And in this day and age, if a person wanted to borrow our car for a day or more, then we would have them sign a paper that they would be held responsible for any damage to the car, tickets, etc.!

Our insurance doesn't cover anyone driving our car other then the people listed on the insurance policy (me and DH)
So we can "blame" it on the insuracne company if people ask to use our car.....

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't blame you. Maybe she should groom her own eyebrows and start saving up to buy her own car!

She's a bit selfish for expecting to borrow someone else's car to run frivolous errands. She shouldn't expect others to bear the expense for her transportation.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Kelly said it best!

I wouldn't say I'd never lend my car, but it wouldn't be for anything that frivolous, and she really does have a lot of gall to put you on the spot like that.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have borrowed co-workers' cars in the past, but it was for things like going to do the office banking or picking up lunch for us. And usually the car was offered to me so I didn't have to ask.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the same way. I can't stand the thought of another person being in my car. I can make an exception for DH or family members but friends or acquaintances, no way.

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think your selfish at all. I used to be a little more open to the idea of lending my car to close friends until I got burned. I let a friend borrow it for what was supposed to be only for an hour or so. No biggie I thought. I was at work and wouldn't be needing it for a while.

Well, when my friend finally made it back I had been off work for hours & was fuming. I was tired and decided to just let it go and got in my car and went home. Once I got home and got out of my wheels I noticed the bumper was mangled in the back on the passanger side. AAAWWW!!! My friend didn't even bother to mention it and when asked said that my bumper was like that when he took the car. Are you kidding me? I do him a favor then he lies to me! Then I had to worry if maybe he hit someone else in my car and possibly fled the scene. Fortunately nothing of the sorts ever happened but it could of. We never resolved this issue even though we've managed to stay friends. I just don't let him borrow anything.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have borrowed co-workers' cars in the past, but it was for things like going to do the office banking or picking up lunch for us. And usually the car was offered to me so I didn't have to ask.
Yeah, that's a whole different ball of wax.

If she'd even said to several co-workers at once, "Darn, I'm running late for my appointment. Anyone feel brave enough to lend me their car?", that would have given the opportunity for someone to be generous if they wanted to, rather than putting an individual on the spot.