Not a man of his word...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boss that is.
I was out Monday because my son wasn't feeling well and the school called saying that if he wasn't feeling better I would have to pick him up.
So I called my boss and told him I was running a few mins late because I was waiting to hear from the school.
He told me there wasn't anything important to do that day and to go ahead and stay home.
I told him I really couldn't afford to stay home so he offered to pay me for the whole day. He's paid me when I was off work before so I didn't have any reason to doubt him.

Well, I was doing the payroll yesterday and when I told him I was done with it he says "Don't forget to deduct you being out on monday"

I told reminded him of what he said Monday otherwise, I would have dropped Justice off at his dad's IF I had to pick him up (I didn't) and came to work.

He just said "Well, sorry" and that was it.

I figured he was just busy and didn't understand what I said.
Well, low and behold, I come in today and my check is sitting on the desk.... w/o Monday's pay

I really REALLY don't like it when someone says one thing and does another

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds totally unfair if he offered to pay you. Is there any point in sitting down and having a meeting with him about it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

That sounds totally unfair if he offered to pay you. Is there any point in sitting down and having a meeting with him about it?
Originally Posted by twstychik

That is so NOT cool! I wonder why he changed his mind? Have you asked?
I haven't seen him today. He's at the restuarant that we're opening because it's under construction.

I've noticed alot of crooked things going on the last 2 weeks.

Like he promised to pay the waitress a certain amount an hour when they're helping clean and paint and such but turning around and giving them min wage.

Lots of things being promised but nothing happening

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, that is so harsh of your boss..I hate it when people go back on their word, it kinda grates on your nerves!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I haven't seen him today. He's at the restuarant that we're opening because it's under construction.

I've noticed alot of crooked things going on the last 2 weeks.

Like he promised to pay the waitress a certain amount an hour when they're helping clean and paint and such but turning around and giving them min wage.

Lots of things being promised but nothing happening
Thats the type of thing that makes me want to walk away from a job. Not always an option I know but certainly unfair.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thats the type of thing that makes me want to walk away from a job. Not always an option I know but certainly unfair.
I have thought about it many times. I feel especially sorry for the young girls he has working at the restuarant.
They're all between 18 and 23... They don't really know what is going on but I see it bright and clear.
They're naive and he knows it.

My 2 son's no longer go to before and after school care so I have to have certain hours now. There aren't alot of employers who let you pick your hours.
Otherwise, I'd be gone!

ETA:
He just called and told me he wants to try and make it to where ALL the employees have to have a bank account and they have to have direct deposit!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have thought about it many times. I feel especially sorry for the young girls he has working at the restuarant.
They're all between 18 and 23... They don't really know what is going on but I see it bright and clear.
They're naive and he knows it.

My 2 son's no longer go to before and after school care so I have to have certain hours now. There aren't alot of employers who let you pick your hours.
Otherwise, I'd be gone!

ETA:
He just called and told me he wants to try and make it to where ALL the employees have to have a bank account and they have to have direct deposit!
Ya, flex hours are nice. I find it sad that these girls are so niave. I've left 2 jobs for payroll issues and both were before I was 21. The first one was seasonal depending on the college students being on campus. When they were gone my pay checks bounced. After 3 I quit. The second one was an employer paying me "under the table" with out proper tax info and such and as many times as she promised to take care of it she never did. I left after 3 months.

I'd like to see him force people to get a bank account or direct deposit. He's pretty full of himself huh?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ya, flex hours are nice. I find it sad that these girls are so niave. I've left 2 jobs for payroll issues and both were before I was 21. The first one was seasonal depending on the college students being on campus. When they were gone my pay checks bounced. After 3 I quit. The second one was an employer paying me "under the table" with out proper tax info and such and as many times as she promised to take care of it she never did. I left after 3 months.

I'd like to see him force people to get a bank account or direct deposit. He's pretty full of himself huh?
Yeah he is

I told him that the only thing close to them getting a bank account is offering them "pay cards"
They are issued these cards like debit cards that they can use at certain ATM's and grocery stores but, they're charged $.50 per transaction!

I highly doubt any of the girls will use it considering they're waitress's and they need every dime they make!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was mean of your boss. But in the future you know what will happen. If you can get "verbal" stuff in writing it helps.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the laws regarding taping conversations in your state? I'd start wearing a wire on the off-chance he'd make promises. That way, if at some point in the future, someone takes him to court regarding a verbal contract...someone has proof. *shrug*

But that's the paranoid cynic in me talking.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Is this the company you mentioned that you are a partner in? If that's the case don't you have a say as to what is going on with the payroll?
No, that was a pest control service that I backed out of. It was a real risk so I didn't do it.
This is someone I'm working for

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but how long have you worked for him and in that time how much time have you taken off? Maybe he's worried you may start taking time off because of the kids and he's being cautious. Just a thought - no other reason.

As to direct deposit, it's pretty difficult to work anywhere anymore that doesn't do direct deposit, at least in my experience.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but how long have you worked for him and in that time how much time have you taken off? Maybe he's worried you may start taking time off because of the kids and he's being cautious. Just a thought - no other reason.

As to direct deposit, it's pretty difficult to work anywhere anymore that doesn't do direct deposit, at least in my experience.
Good point about the time off.

Sure, most (bigger) employers have DD available but by no means do they require it.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've been there a little over 2 months now
and I've only taken 1 day off prior because of the financing on my new car took ALL Day

He's pretty laid back about the time off.. Tells you not to worry and things....
I've worked overtime MANY times for him before when I had care for the kids

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've been there a little over 2 months now
and I've only taken 1 day off prior because of the financing on my new car took ALL Day

He's pretty laid back about the time off.. Tells you not to worry and things....
I've worked overtime MANY times for him before when I had care for the kids
Did you get paid overtime pay for working over? And, truthfully, if you've only been there 2 months and you've already taken a full day off with pay, that could be your earned vacation. You need to see what their policy is. I can take days off with pay, but I have to burn vacation hours. Only being there for 2 months, you may have gotten enough hours to cover that one day, and maybe he didn't realize you already burned them. I get 5 hours of vacation every pay period, and it goes quick! It could be if you didn't have the vacation hours to cover it, it has to go unpaid.

I would definitely check on their requirements for vacation time and calling off.

He should have checked though to make sure you had the vacation time to cover it before he told you to take the full day.