Does anyone have pictures of pregnant mammary glands?

tabbygirl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had posted a few days ago about Annie, the "pregnant" cat who was vaccinated. After doing an ultra sound, the vet told me she was not pregnant. So I took her off her wet food and put her on a diet. My question is; does anyone have pictures of what a pregnant cat's nipples look like as compared to a non-pregnant cat? Annie's nipples have continued to loose hair around them and they are turning bright pink. I have no idea what a normal female cat's nipples look like, let alone a pregnant cats
... I have only owned neutered male cats. Does anyone know of a website with comparison pictures or a very detailed description? At what point in her pregnancy would her nipples loose hair and get pink. I would compare the color of her nipples to a pink carnation or darker lol... sorry my valentines flowers are sitting in front of me
. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vet told me she is not pregnant but my gut tells me that she is... I think I may be going crazy

BTW my boyfriend thinks she is pregnant too so it's not just me

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like pregnant nipples to me. Perhaps it was too early in the pregnancy for babies to show up on ultrasound?

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be possible what you are seeing is a false pregnancy, apperantly it happens with cats quite offten...If your vet says she is not pregnant chances are she isnt....I could be wrong tho

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a pic of Pennie's nipple, taken 2 weeks ago. She's due sometime in the next 2 weeks, lol. I have never examined a non-pregnant cat's nipples, either, so I can't do much to compare. Here's Pennie

brittany_nicole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she was to be pregnant, how far along would she be right now?

It could possibly be a false pregnancy. I've never had a pregnant cat before so I can't be sure.

Saedie's nipples aren't noticeable at all. They are the same color as her skin and very small.

I hope I helped a little bit.

Maybe if you want to be 100% sure, you can take her to a different vet for another ultrasound and see what they say.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Nova close to 11 weeks ago. She had all the signs of pregnancy: gained about 2 lbs (she went from 6 to 8 lbs), large pink nipples, she even lost the fur around the nipples, and started nesting.

10 weeks later, no kittens. So I took her to the vet, and found that she wasn't pregnant after all. This was after weeks of us (and the people at the vet's office), thinking that she was pregnant and feeding her accordingly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbygirl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...rl88/2_296.jpg

This is the best picture I can get of her belly. All but 1 nipple are enlarged. Now that I have noticed the one nipple that hasn't grown... I realize that her nipples definitely make it look like she is pregnant. Which makes me question why the vet didn't say anything about her nipples?
O well, we will see

BTW she is shaved because of her ultra sound the other day

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cat's nipples look about the same size as Houdini's (and she is due in 1-2 weeks).

Houdini's never really turned pink... but she is an all black cat, so maybe that makes a difference. She does have black freckle-like things on her areolas...not sure if that's a pregnancy thing tho because she came to me pregnant (and I never inspected my previous cats nipples since they were spayed
)

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One more thing: Is it possible that your cat has recently had a litter of kittens? The reason I ask is because I fostered a dog (ended up adopting her!) that was a stray who had had puppies before Animal Control picked her up. They could not find the puppies and do not know what became of them
. But my dog had big nipples for about 8 months after we got her.

tabbygirl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh I hate not knowing. I have no idea how far along she could be. She has not been outside since the 16 (I think thats when my friend found her) so she must be at least 2 weeks. I am thinking her drastic weight gain (1.5lb in a week!) is just her eating a lot and she is only really in the very early stages of pregnancy. The vet said they can see fetuses with the ultra sound at 30 days. So I am thinking she is less pregnant than that? Or she could have a false pregnancy, but she is a young unspayed female cat who was outside for lord knows how long so I wouldn't doubt if she was really pregnant.

tabbygirl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rotobay

One more thing: Is it possible that your cat has recently had a litter of kittens? The reason I ask is because I fostered a dog (ended up adopting her!) that was a stray who had had puppies before Animal Control picked her up. They could not find the puppies and do not know what became of them
. But my dog had big nipples for about 8 months after we got her.
Thats a good point, I don't know. Was the dog still lactating? Annie isn't lactating.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks good and pregnant to me! Ive been wrong before though! (with Nova) So I can't say for sure!! She does look rounded too! Man it would be so much easier if they could just have a cat pee on a stick like humans do!

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TabbyGirl88

Thats a good point, I don't know. Was the dog still lactating? Annie isn't lactating.
No, she didn't seem to have any milk, but her nipples were big for a looooong time. They gradually went back to normal over about an 8 month period.

tabbygirl88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rotobay

No, she didn't seem to have any milk, but her nipples were big for a looooong time. They gradually went back to normal over about an 8 month period.
Yesterday I noticed that now all of her nipples are enlarged. Granted the front two are no where as big as the back few. So I think she is still early in her pregnancy. I figured out... don't make me explain it, it's very confusing lol... That we should be expecting kitten anytime between March 31st and April 24th. Lol that is a 25 day window.