Who do you help???

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so I was on my way home last night and I was listening to a local radio show, and they were asking the question-If you were out walking the streets and you happened to have some extra food in your pocket and you ran across a homeless person and a stray dog: Who would you feed? Now I am probably going to hell for this, but I would feed the dog/cat. What would you all do and why? I have been thinking about this alot and I have not found one reason yet as to why I would give it to the homeless person. As I said I am probably going to hell. Now I know this is a website for cats and their owners so most all of us are animal fanatics but can anyone out there honestly say they would give it to the human??????

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im a sucker for a Hobo, and they normally end up with all my money and food! The last time I did that came back to haunt me though... he came into my work all drunk out of his mind and got all over me.. cops were called he was kicked and I decided to feed his dog from now on! (he had a dog with him... yeah...) Havn't seen the guy since and if I did I would run away! I would probably split the food in all reality... that way they could both have some! No no, I have a better answer, I would give the food to the homeless person and take the dog home!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be going to hell with ya!
Just kidding...but I am the same way!!!

In fact, if anyone watched Moment of Truth the other night, this same exact question was asked!!! And yes, the girl said she would feed s stray dog, before a homeless person!!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I would give the food to the dog and take the person to a restaurant and buy them a hot meal.
How do you know that they aren't going to hurt you?? People have flaws... I would never take them anywhere, I have given them money to buy them selves stuff. I know better than to take them anywhere... Even a stray dog could be violent!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without knowing anything about the person, I would give to the dog or cat.

You know what I've seen on freeway exits?
Two people: one with a sign asking for money, and the other selling bags of fruit.
Sometimes both at the same freeway exit!
MY SO was with me when I saw this and he said that he would buy the fruit from the guy selling, and give it to the guy with the sign for him to sell.

I realize that some homeless people are ill, and some might have mental issues that prevent them from being able to work.
But some people ask for handouts when they are perfectly capable of helping themselves.
This irks me.

If the person is not capable of taking care of her or his self, then I feel differently about it.
I wouldn't begrudge a person a meal if he/she really did need it.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would give the food to the dog and take the person to a restaurant and buy them a hot meal.
you know what is funny, is a few times i have offered to buy homeless people food, and they did not take me up on it. theyjust wanted the money

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok so if you could only give it to one of them which one would it be??? The reason I am chosing the dog, is I just don't have that much faith in people and I have seen too many "not so homeless" people out begging for free stuff that it bothers me and dogs cannot fake being homeless. Plus in all honesty-if a person really wants something bad enough they can get it-animals can only do soo much within their powers to get what they want or need.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give to the Pet.
My Sisters friend gave to one and he used the Money for Meth.
He was on the news.
My husband tells them I do not see anything wrong with you go get a job.
This gut would be out there everyday.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would help the pet if I could only help one, unless the homeless person was a child. Ive been burnt once on the whole homeless person thing and would never put myself through that again. I might tell them where to get help. As this town we have MANY places that will put you up and feed you for as long as you need help! I once gave a "homeless" person my last twenty bucks. I later saw him drive off on his harley that was parked across the street and found out that he had more money that I do! I correct myself, I have been burnt TWICE by the homeless people, the second person later got a great job (after taking my 1700 bucks to get a place of his own) stole my battery out of my car, got married, had twins, is all rich and has never paid me back.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to give food to people when I see them. I don't give them money...for a whole slew of reasons I won't get into. I don't judge them either. People gotta eat regardless of their circumstances (and they could be any circumstances) and don't deserve to be denied a basic need because of whatever their past was.

As for the stray dog...as we know from being on this forum there are plenty of ways to help a stray dog and for me, it's a darn good thing I know so many no-kill dog shelters and foster networks

(So I don't think this is an either/or question that can easily be answered with one thing over the other. That's why that show is so dumb...most of the answers should really be so complex and mixed in their emotions that it would be difficult to legitimately trust a polygraph.)

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I tend to give food to people when I see them. I don't give them money...for a whole slew of reasons I won't get into. I don't judge them either. People gotta eat regardless of their circumstances (and they could be any circumstances) and don't deserve to be denied a basic need because of whatever their past was.
I agree... there are so many good people out there that you really cant judge them by their cover! Since I work at the Red Cross, its easy for me to help people without having to do much! I can call someone and they will put the person up, give them a gift card for food, clothes and whatever else they may need!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently got to see the movie "The Human Experience" - which if you get the chance, you should totally watch. Its made by Grassroots Films and is the real story of two brothers who decided to go out and see what it really meant to be human. They went to Africa and met AIDS victims and met the inhabitants of a leper colony, and went to South America with Surf for a Cause to care for orphans there.

Their first experience though was in their own backyard - the homeless of New York City. They spent a week living on the streets, with nothing but what they could carry on their backs and no money. While they were there, they talked to some of the homeless.

What really struck me was this one homeless woman. To paraphrase she said "I was there on the streets, next to these three dogs. People came, and they took the dogs in, but me, they left behind." You could just see the hurt in her eyes, and really feel it, as she was remembering the story.

I don't see many homeless in my town, but I know that I will do more to donate to food banks and causes for the homeless, and I will pick the people as much as I can.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

you know what is funny, is a few times i have offered to buy homeless people food, and they did not take me up on it. theyjust wanted the money
My ex-husband would always offer to go buy them a sandwhich, it was always refused. He worked downtown and would get approached at least once a day. So, I would give food to the dog/cat.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... the animal may run off, but I can talk with the human and ask him to wait while I go get something for him. So I'd do that, and give the food I've already got to the dog or cat.

Then I'd run get some groceries for the homeless person and bring them back. I believe in always doing whatever I can for anyone in need, regardless of his condition or how he ended up that way. True compassion doesn't need to ask a lot of questions.

And if the dog or cat is still there when I get back, I would try to take him with me to a no-kill shelter.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too would help the animal vs the human. A human can ask for food, a dog cannot.

I subscribe to two area freecycle websites and they seem more as a place to get alots of free stuff vs the purpose of keeping stuff out of landfills. For example last week someone posted a list of 27 items, most rather specific that they wanted. I mean colors/styles of furniture etc. Come on that seems a bit greedy for me.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Yup! That's because they are professional panhandlers and want the money for something else - like drugs.

I would feed the dog or yes, take it in and have our rescue rehab it. A human can find food more easily, like at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. And as another poster said, many of them are mentally ill and can get violent quickly, so you need to be careful. It's very sad that they are on the street. Here in Michigan, services have been cut due to budget problems and you can really see the effect.

A friend told me a story about this. She lives in DC. She was walking to work and a mother with two little children was panhandling on the street, saying she needed money to feed her kids. My friend stopped and offered to buy the kids breakfast at the McDonalds that was right there, basically calling the woman's bluff. The woman got violent, started screaming at my friend. She didn't want to feed her kids. She was using them for sympathy to get $$$ for whatever - probably drugs. When my friend got to work, she called Social Services... who knows if anything came of it.

Another case someone told me about his experience in downtown Detroit. He impulsively went and got the guy a sandwich and when he handed the guy the food - the guy screamed at him and threw the sandwich back at him.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Same here - I don't give money to homeless people just because most of them use it to drink. On several occasions I've given my leftovers to homeless people, or if they ask me for money and it's near a fastfood place I've bought them food. One time I even gave a guy my scarf... If there was an animal with them, though, I'd give them both food.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with most people; I have often offered to buy a homeless person a sandwich but they never want it. I'd give it to the dog.

I know there are plenty of genuine cases out there but there are also people on the street who have roofs over their heads and are begging out of choice.