Cat doesn't meow

nightshadz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First some background - I adopted two beautiful female cats from Save-A-Pet pet shelter on 2/16 in Port Jefferson, NY (on Long Island); both were rescues. One is Black (Chloe) and the other is White and Black (Moo). Chloe is about 1.5 years old and Moo is 10 months. I named the B&W one Moo because her fur is patterned in such a way that it makes her look like a cow
and Chloe is named after a character of my favorite T.V. show Smallville. It took a little time for the two to warm up to each other, but they finally are comfortable around each other. At first Moo would occasionally hiss at Chloe if she got too close, but never tried to swipe or bite her (even when they got within inches of each other). Chloe was completely indifferent and you could tell she was just approaching Moo to try and befriend her. Now there's no more hissing and they playfully chase each other around the apartment.

Before these cats I owned a Cocktiel for 18 years. My step-mother owns several cats and constantly being around them made me grow attached to them and want a cat of my own.

Fast Forward to today. Chloe does her fair share of Meowing, especially in the middle of the night when she warns me she's about to jump on my bed to cuddle up against and sleep next to me. But Moo never Meows. However, she constantly does this high-pitched whistle with a very quick vibrato incorporated into it. This is all she does. She does it when she's walking around, she does it if I touch her without her noticing me first (like if she's staring out the window and I pet her without her seeing me first), she does it lying down. When she does it, it's not constant though. It's just a quick, high-pitched whistle with vibrato that lasts about a half second.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Why do you think she choses to make this noise over a Meow? Could her vocal cords have possibly been damaged? I find that hard to believe though, because she can purr, whistle and hiss. I'm not really worried either as Moo is very playful, affectionate and , as far as I can tell, perfectly healthy. She had all her shots and tests done at Save-A-Pet and was given a clean bill of health before coming home with me.

Now for the pictures!

These pictures were taken with my camera phone so they are a little blurry but still good.

Moo:

Chloe:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have a wide range of vocalizations, and there just doesn't seem to be much correlation to their size. Our biggest cat just makes a tiny little "mew" most of the time. Our smaller cat can sound like he's having his soul extracted from him, with a heart-breaking window-shaking cry. We once had a cat we named "Bert," because that was the only sound she ever made: BRRRRRT!

I have even some some kinds who sound like they need their purr box oiled, because they have a squeak in their purr.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nightshadz

Fast Forward to today. Chloe does her fair share of Meowing, especially in the middle of the night when she warns me she's about to jump on my bed to cuddle up against and sleep next to me. But Moo never Meows. However, she constantly does this high-pitched whistle with a very quick vibrato incorporated into it. This is all she does. She does it when she's walking around, she does it if I touch her without her noticing me first (like if she's staring out the window and I pet her without her seeing me first), she does it lying down. When she does it, it's not constant though. It's just a quick, high-pitched whistle with vibrato that lasts about a half second.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Why do you think she choses to make this noise over a Meow? Could her vocal cords have possibly been damaged? I find that hard to believe though, because she can purr, whistle and hiss. I'm not really worried either as Moo is very playful, affectionate and , as far as I can tell, perfectly healthy. She had all her shots and tests done at Save-A-Pet and was given a clean bill of health before coming home with me.

Now for the pictures!

These pictures were taken with my camera phone so they are a little blurry but still good.

Moo:

Chloe:
Aaaw! What gorgeous babies!
My personal opinion is that she's making the little noises because she is talking to you! My three girls are the same way. The only time I hear an official "meow" is when they can't find me, or are in another room wanting me to "hurry and come here!"

I don't think you should worry about damaged vocal cords. I truely think their little prrrrrt noises are conversation...and their meows are yelling!

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that only chirped and never meowed. I love when they chirp, it is more of a greeting.

My current litty has the smallest little meow.....he opens his littlle mouth really wide and this little faint high pitched meow comes out. And he only meows for food. I've heard him chirp a little around my female cat. Otherwise he is very quiet.

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What beautiful kitties! My girl Sasha doesn't purr. She meows alright, but I have never heard a purr out of her. I can feel her purring if I hold her chest, but not a sound! I think each cat is different and if Moo is fine otherwise then I wouldn't worry about her