Bank question..can you help

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This should be a relatively easy question. I would call my bank but they closed at 4pm. Anyways I have a change jar that is getting full. If I take it to the bank do I have to roll it first or do they have a machine (in the bank or something) that does the counting for me? I only ask because some of it is not enough for a full roll. Thanks.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

This should be a relatively easy question. I would call my bank but they closed at 4pm. Anyways I have a change jar that is getting full. If I take it to the bank do I have to roll it first or do they have a machine (in the bank or something) that does the counting for me? I only ask because some of it is not enough for a full roll. Thanks.
You have to roll it yourself at my bank.. Not sure about yours

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I know my husband has said some banks have counting machines (banks he used in the past). Next question there is a place I know of that has a counting machine. AS much as I don't like to use it I sometimes have to when I don't have enough to fill full rolls. So how much is 9.8% of 24.70 (my jar does not hold much).

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok I know my husband has said some banks have counting machines (banks he used in the past). Next question there is a place I know of that has a counting machine. AS much as I don't like to use it I sometimes have to when I don't have enough to fill full rolls. So how much is 9.8% of 24.70 (my jar does not hold much).
9.8% of 24.70 = 2.42

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely call the bank first.
my moms boyfriend spent weeks rolling all of his change, only to go to the bank and be made to unroll all of it!!!!!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Coinstars... They're a rip off but I've had to use them

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

do I have to roll it first
Yep! You can get those plastic coin inserts at the bank. It's much easier than those paper ones. With the plastic ones all you do is snap in the coins until it's full, vs counting them out to make sure you have a certain amount in the paper roll.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My bank got mad at me when I rolled my change. They have a big machine that they pour the change into and they had to unroll all the coins I had spent hours rolling.

9.8% of 24.70 is 2.42

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both banks that I've used have the big machines that count it for you, I just take in my big jar to cash it in & they dump the money in & it counts it.
I've never had to roll it, that seems odd, I thought most banks had that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Coinstars... They're a rip off but I've had to use them
Yeah I agree there but if the bank says roll first I will use the coinstar because I would lose more if I could not cash some in because I had to roll first.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to my bank with my big thing of change in a container and they dump it into a machine and it counts it for me! If I were to roll it they would just have to unroll it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bank we go to has the "coinstar" style machines. You just bring in your jar and dump the coins in yourself, then take the receipt to the teller and get your $$. But I would check with them first, since it seems there are still a lot of banks that dont have that.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best bet is to call tomorrow when they are open. My bank has a coin machine that the customer fills not the employees. Do you really want to stand there and break them all open? Before the machine you had to roll the coin and write your account number (in case it's off).

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bring my coin container to the bank, they dump it in a machine and presto they give me dollars a couple of minutes later. I didn't know there were bank that were fussy about the coins.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I just bring my coin container to the bank, they dump it in a machine and presto they give me dollars a couple of minutes later. I didn't know there were bank that were fussy about the coins.
Your best bet would be to call your bank first and find out. If you roll it and they have the same type of machine as above, you've wasted time and effort. If you don't, then you've wasted a trip (assuming you will definitely do the Coinstar thing).

Good luck either way.